The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon M.

re: Fun With Sony _____

Some easy turns on the appron below a fun couloir which is unfortunatelly out of frame. Bright blue skies and soft snow made for a fun day for both photographer (who almost always got to go first :D ) and subject.

N

Nokton48

Hasselblad 30mm F3.5 C Fisheye Distagon on the Nex-3.

Yes it works. :loco:

Simon M.

Just going through and processing some images from a couple of months ago. Here is one from a cold winter walk on an icy shore line.
Tech: a850, Sony 20/2.8, iso320, 5sec @ F/9, processed in C1.

Cheers,
Simon

ecsh

very nice indeed! I would have never thought the sundial pic was with a fisheye.

Simon M.

Nice work Dave, I especially like the one with the crates (#8). How are you getting the geoencodding?

Here is one more from the same stroll as the last one. Exif should be intact.

Cheers,
Simon

Very nice, Dave. I like the dramatic skies! Did you use a polarizer?
Thanks Ed. No, I didn't use a polarizer. It takes a great deal of care to get away with that on a lens this wide, and really restricts my freedom to compose(IMO). I reached this conclusion long ago after getting too many half-dark skies. :D I do always carry one though, sometimes it's just the ticket. If you're referring to #2 above, it's just this shot with some curve-pulling:

Generally speaking all of my PP is in the exposure section of LR, none of these pics have had any color alterations beyond a slight WB nudge and around +5 - +10 vibrance and clarity... also "just enough" NR. Well, there was some obvious desaturation in the first one. ;)

very nice indeed! I would have never thought the sundial pic was with a fisheye.
Thank You. Yes, sometimes you can get surprising results depending on composition. No lens/distortion corrections on this or any of the others BTW, just the tweaks mentioned above. I love playing with perspective/lens distortion and removing it is something I rarely consider.

Nice work Dave, I especially like the one with the crates (#8). How are you getting the geoencodding?

Here is one more from the same stroll as the last one. Exif should be intact.

Cheers,
Simon
Thanks Simon, BTW I love both of your snow pics. I went out just after sunrise this morning but the expected snow on Mount Hamilton was gone.

The geoencoding turns out to be very simple, really.

I record a track using this app, after double-checking that my camera clock is synced with the phone clock. You can save individual trips and start/stop recording easily. The track is then emailed to myself as a .gpx file. Any GPS tracking device that can output .gpx or other compatible data can be used. Next I use this LR plugin to do the geoencoding. It can just create shadow data or, the way I'm using it the shadow data can be written out to the XMP files then read back in, fooling LR into thinking the data came from the camera. Not sure of all the details there, just that this method provides geoencoding in the exported output files that is more universally readable. This all happens without altering the RAW in any way, which I like.

When all is said and done I use this LR publish plugin to export to SmugMug. Its really slick, once my photos are there, if I make any further alterations to any published images the plugin knows which images need to be updated on SmugMug and it just handles it.

T

Tony Beach

Hey Dave,

I know that cemetery, and got a shot of that same sundial last August:

Also got these two on the same day:

...and on another day I got that structure you showed twice now in the background of this shot:

Got to get up there when the days are shorter to get the end of the day light since the cemetery closes too early for that the rest of the year. This shot was taken in November 2009:

It's cool seeing different interpretations than mine of the same location.

Nice shots Tony. I see you ran into a bit of fog on your earlier visit. When I was there the light was just directional enough to read the time on the sundial. The sundial is actually running a bit over 10 minutes slow(on that day at least). :D

I was eyeballing that arch in TPE and had decided that mid-June would be the ideal time to to capture the sort of light that you did, since the light would be hitting it at much more of an angle and throwing the carvings into relief. I didn't realize they closed early. Do they just close the gates or is it trespassing after hours?

T

Tony Beach

Thanks Dave. I tried to work with the fog that day, rather than against it.

They just close the gates, you can still exit after hours. However, from closing time to when the light gets down in June is about 2 hours.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member

The Nex 5 has been on my radar for a spell. Finally, I decided to sell off the m4/3 gear and try the Nex out. I'm glad I did and I made the right decision.

All Nex 5 Philly, Pa

Michiel Schierbeek

The Nex 5 has been on my radar for a spell. Finally, I decided to sell off the m4/3 gear and try the Nex out. I'm glad I did and I made the right decision.

All Nex 5 Philly, Pa

You have a great style! Really like this one too. Is that with the Sony 16mm?

I have been thinking about the Next too but still in doubt because the great investment in adapters for my MF lenses. And also I am afraid I need an EVF, the old men's great help.

I am still shooting with the G1 and am hanging to the GH2, although with the price difference I could buy myself quiet some adapters.

Well may be I wait a little more.

Michiel

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member

Michiel, Thanks...
Yes, it's the 16. To be perfectly clear...I'm no spring chicken myself. I like AF and the Nex does that fine. So, I won't even use use my MF lenses.
Don

Braeside

A couple from a gig for the launch of a debut single last week:

I used the A900 and 50/1.7, 85/2.8 and 16mm fisheye for crowd shots.

Slideshow

Note to self: buy some ear plugs for the next gig, my ears are still ringing.
:shocked:

Seriously - if you shoot bands you need earplugs for your hearing's sake.:lecture:

jonoslack

A couple from a gig for the launch of a debut single last week:

I used the A900 and 50/1.7, 85/2.8 and 16mm fisheye for crowd shots.

Slideshow
These are wonderful - just done the slide show - not sure if they look like the big time but the photographer does - the one with the audience clapping, the cymbal over the head - all splendid stuff:salute::salute:

Braeside

These are wonderful - just done the slide show - not sure if they look like the big time but the photographer does - the one with the audience clapping, the cymbal over the head - all splendid stuff:salute::salute:
Hi Jono, Glad you liked them (the photos anyway), I have to admit that I am biased as the vocalist and songwriter is my niece Grace, and the guitarist is my nephew Charlie. :eek:

They seem to be doing well, they recently won "The battle of the bands" which gives them a chance to play at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh.:salute:

Ordered earplugs just to be safe.:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.