The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Fun With Sony _____

During the month of October I was engaged in the one-prime challenge the Pegelli mentioned, the prime I chose was a bit tough to work with though -- the Minolta 12.5 f/2 Micro Bellows lens. Here are some of the shots that I like the most from the month. As you can tell it was a struggle at times but it was really fun. Here is the setup:

Common ant:

.5mm mechanical pencil tip:

Electric shaver:

Random bug:

Tip of an eyelash:

Dreemel bit:

unused #11 X-acto blade showing the two-stage bevel on one side

Poppy seeds:

J

jcoffin

Nice job Dave! That was gutsy choice, but you pulled it off well (and since it's working so well for you, you really want to sell me you 1x-3x, right? :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Well had a project in New York to shoot the city for a couple days. left the big guns home and went with the Sony A77 with 16-50 and 55-200 lenses. This one ISO 200 handheld at F7 from the Top of the Rock. Actually using this one in a poster. Looks to be holding up well as a background image. I shot about 1200 images and have not even come close to getting through all of them except for fast processing but I'm getting to like this cam. My biggest bitch is this camera is far too easy to change something. I have to really watch myself as it is just to easy to change a setting by hitting something. Oh right at the 35mm setting on the 16-50. I found this lens to be very very good at almost any focal length.

dhsimmonds

Nice one Guy. I agree, it's a really nice cam. The full frame 36 Mpx version due next year should also be a stunnner!

Matix

On Sept. 17 I was back at Laguna Seca for the running of the American LeMans, this time with my best and oldest friend (since highschool) David -- and found the booth babes quite willing to pose:
Fantastic series Dave, took me back many years to my racing days in BC Canada and West Coast tracks, I could hear the thunder and smell the aroma from those shots. The days when mufflers were optional and one could get an unobstructed view of the track... thanks for the memories.

Phil

dhsimmonds

Nice shot. We shall soon be getting your Waxwings over here and it won't be too long by the look of that frost on the tree!

4season

I just purchased an SLT-A35 with 18-55 kit zoom a week ago and am liking it a lot! So small and lightweight for an SLR. The zoom has a fair amount of barrel distortion at some settings, and (astigmatism?) at macro range, but given the price (plus the fact that I'm too broke to buy another lens right now what with the NEX-7 + 24/1.8 still on order) I can't think of much to complain about save that the kit doesn't include the matching ALC-SH108 lens hood. Really a delightful package at a very reasonable price IMO. A35 uses the same NP-FW50 batteries and BC-VW1 charger as the NEX cameras too. Charge times are leisurely, so I keep multiple charged batteries on hand.

Yesterday's lunch:

The drive between Golden and Boulder, Colorado with wind turbines visible on the horizon:

Boulder Creek:

J

jcoffin

Looks like you're already getting some pretty nice shots with your new rig, @4seasons. I look forward to seeing what you produce with more practice.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

Got myself a few holiday gifts... A CZ 85/1.4, an Acratech GV2 head, an Acratech leveling base, and a 77mm Kaesemann polarizer. Of course had to go and play with my new toys. :) :) :)

Pano with the CZ 85 (4 shots)...

A shot with the CZ 24-70...

And the 24-70 with a B+W Kaesemann polarizer...

pegelli

Interesting abstract gilgameshist, I only might be tended to add the second knot fully in the picture.

Congrats on the purchases Jan, they're in good hands from what I can see here.
If you have more time you could do another top/bottom row with the first and sell your 24-70 :rolleyes:
Just kidding, I especially like how the long exposure with the pola filter came out, the long light streaks are more pleasing to my eye than the short ones in the first WA shot.

Here's a few from a recent trip to Ljubljana

Locks on bridge railings to seal an eternal bond are getting more common in all cities these days

A850 + MinO35/2

Looking up the double spiral staircase in the tower of Ljubljana Castle

A850 + MinO35/2

A view from the tower

A850 + Min100/2.8Macro

And a night shot (hand held, iso 2500)

A850 + MinO35/2

O

oleg1981

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

hey happy nex users. im in delema now. i sold my NIKON DSLR and now want to have something smaller. i realy like NEX 5 for the ergonomics. but C3 is newer. what you will recomend? both i can get for about 450$

pegelli

hey happy nex users. im in delema now. i sold my NIKON DSLR and now want to have something smaller. i realy like NEX 5 for the ergonomics. but C3 is newer. what you will recomend? both i can get for about 450$
I have held both the 3 and the 5 and for my big hands the 5 (with the much larger bulge) was clearly the way to go.

However if you plan to shoot a lot with short (ie < 35 mm) rangefinder lenses the better sensor of the C3 (especially in the corners) might overcome the ergonomic disadvantage. If you want both (new sensor and big bulge) 5N is the way to go, but more expensive. Just the step from 14 to 16 MP by itself is insignificant in my mind.

pegelli

I find the Nex an ideal camera to just walk around and take indoor shots without flash

Here's two from our dear doggie during the Christmas days with the Nex 5 @ iso 1600 and a Summicron M50/2

Isn't she a darling :angel:

pegelli

When I come to the GetDPI Sony forum these days all I see is Nex 7, CZ24 and occasionally a Nex 5N topic in there.

Fun with Sony and Fun with Nex (not the newest) seem to be mainly forgotten.
C'mon guys, photography shouldn't only be about the newest gear but some older equipment can still deliver.

Here's an example of some heritage Minolta glass on an A850. Looking forward to others pick up posting in here as well.

A850 + Minolta O 20/2.8 in the Amsterdam Public Library:

A850 + Minolta 80-200/2.8 HS G in Madrid:

TFL, and hope to see more from others here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.