The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-hawinkler

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Jono & Rich: thank you very much.
I will say one thing about the NEX-7 - it certain has great colors. I find that I do almost no post processing other than the occasional crop. Very nice files.

Jono - What is it with the WATE and English clouds? I have a shot of Stonehenge that I took with the WATE on my old M8 and the clouds have that same feel.

Stonehenge by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

I don't know about your old M8, but the M9 had a few Firmware updates recently and corrected the color cast problem by and large. It certainly corrected it for my M9 + WATE.

K-H.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Balloon Festival at Lake Havasu City, AZ
NEX 5N and Jupiter 3 50 f/1.5

NEX 5N and Leitz 135 elmarit-M f/2.8

jonoslack

Very nice Cindy. A dust spot on the first one.
Joe
+ 1 with Joe .. . . except for the dust spot - isn't that something dangling from the basket?

Carlos - I like the Stonehenge shot - interesting that the M8 has much worse colour cast with the WATE than the NEX or the M9 (and I don't really remember it talked about then - I guess you just get your eye in).

I like the winter toll wood - and thanks for the kind remarks - the dog snap was take with the WATE

all the best

pegelli

+ 1 with Joe .. . . except for the dust spot - isn't that something dangling from the basket?
+2 with Jono, and there is something dangling from the basket, but also a dust spot between the two balloons, ~1/3 distance from the balloon on the right.

Btw, the Elmarit shot is my favorite, great silhouette and wonderful colours/atmosphere! (and also some dust spots left of the balloon, and one more near the right edge of the photo)

jonoslack

Okay Okay - I see it . . . . but let's not get paranoid about dust spots shall we!

We went to the pub today

NEX7 and Noctilux 0.95

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Thanks Joe, Jono and Pegelli. I have been spotting them. My sensor is really a mess. A wet cleaning is coming up. I missed those spots (I'm away from home and working on a laptop display), sorry. And yes, a line is dangling from the basket.
Oh, Jono. You make me lust for the Noctilux. What a dream combo, NEX7 and .095 Noctilux.

jonoslack

Hat And gloves

We need to be home before dark

. . . . all with the Noctilux, mostly at f0.95

V

Vivek

+2 with Jono, and there is something dangling from the basket, but also a dust spot between the two balloons, ~1/3 distance from the balloon on the right.
ecsh was right.

The 4th shot shows at least 4 detectable spots on my screen.

jonoslack

ecsh was right.

The 4th shot shows at least 4 detectable spots on my screen.
Nice to get to the important things in life eh? :p

the fourth shot is also a smashing photograph - and yes, you are right, I can see the dust spots as well if I choose to look for them. I tend to have my screen turned down low for evening viewing, and they're not so obvious then.

all the best

jonoslack

Oh, Jono. You make me lust for the Noctilux. What a dream combo, NEX7 and .095 Noctilux.
HI Cindy - it's lots of fun - especially if you have the Hawks adapter to allow focusing a little closer

But really it deserves to be on the M9.

Here are two from earlier today - but pretty much the full frame (might be slightly straightened). Both shot at 0.95 and much closer than the normal 1metre close focus

. . . . . and here's one shot at f2.8 - of course, it's an obligatory cat snap:

Quentin_Bargate

Pleaase don't tell me what a Noctilux costs....

Great shots all.

Jono, that tulip shot has a ethereal mistiness about it. Is that jusy the extreme shallow dof?

V

Vivek

Nice to get to the important things in life eh? :p

the fourth shot is also a smashing photograph - and yes, you are right, I can see the dust spots as well if I choose to look for them. I tend to have my screen turned down low for evening viewing, and they're not so obvious then.

all the best
Yes.

Why is it a smashing photograph, Jono? I can learn something from your description.

jonoslack

Yes.

Why is it a smashing photograph, Jono? I can learn something from your description.
Well - sorry - maybe smashing is not a useful description (very 60s way of saying excellent) rather mannered I apologise.:eek:

I like the juxtaposition between the big ballon and the two smaller ones near the bottom (pity about the third one and fourth ones, but you can't have everything). It makes a neat and rhythmical compositional counterpoint. I like the colour, but especially the action of the character in the basket brings the photo to life for me . . and now I'm enjoying the dance of the dust spots as well :)

I'm not good at writing down why i like images, but you asked, so I failed!

As for the Kikkoman photo - the bokeh looks a little rough, and I'd suggest it's more likely to be the Pen 42 - the Canon should have more of the background out of focus. I'm assuming that shot was to demonstrate the depth of field?

all the best

jonoslack

Pleaase don't tell me what a Noctilux costs....
Well, not even half as much as a Hasselblad, and it'll hold it's value a whole lot better!
Great shots all.

Jono, that tulip shot has a ethereal mistiness about it. Is that jusy the extreme shallow dof?
Thank you - yes partly the silly small dof at f0.95 at 8"? Partly also the (is it called Coma - in the absence of Irwin Puts Vivek will be able to explain better) which is a response to such a wide aperture. Nice thing about the current Nocti is that it's dreamy and odd at f0.95, but sharp as a pin by f1.4

V

Vivek

I think, it isn't coma but the proverbial "glow" brought about by internal reflections. It may not show up if the light is different.

Here is one from the Canon 50/0.95, stopped down a tad (close to f/1.2).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

V

Vivek

Well - sorry - maybe smashing is not a useful description (very 60s way of saying excellent) rather mannered I apologise.:eek:

I like the juxtaposition between the big ballon and the two smaller ones near the bottom (pity about the third one and fourth ones, but you can't have everything). It makes a neat and rhythmical compositional counterpoint. I like the colour, but especially the action of the character in the basket brings the photo to life for me . . and now I'm enjoying the dance of the dust spots as well :)

I'm not good at writing down why i like images, but you asked, so I failed!

As for the Kikkoman photo - the bokeh looks a little rough, and I'd suggest it's more likely to be the Pen 42 - the Canon should have more of the background out of focus. I'm assuming that shot was to demonstrate the depth of field?

all the best

Thanks, Jono. Better than "smashing".:)

Actually, not. It is part of a series of tests I am doing to observe the fast lens behaviors under various light. That one was using a diffuse flash.

DOF depends on the magnification, in addition to the aperture.

This one (I have shown this earlier in another thread) was using an Olympus pen F 38/3.5 macro (effective aperture ~f/5):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Bokeh from that lens is pretty smooth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.