The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin_Bargate

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Great night / low light shots, Herman and Pegelli. Really like the atmosphere in them all.

IS0 1600 is very useable, as is Auto ISO around 1000-1600 ISO. I have not use the pancake much.

Quentin

Last edited:

pegelli

I have not use the pancake much.
To be fair neither have I. I borrowed this one for the weekend to see what I thought of it.

Two conclusions I reached:
- It's certainly not as bad as some people want you to believe
- It's fun to use/small/pocketable

However rather than running out and just "get another lens in my bag" I'm actually trying to do the same style shooting with the kit lens at 18 mm (just 2 mm less wide, but no real problem for me) and see if that doesn't meet the majority of my needs. Pocketability of the body + kit is certainly not as good but IQ/flexibility wise I have found it very well suited for my needs and stopped me from buying the 16 mm. However, don't know how "strong" I will be fighting the lens lust when I pass a shop who has a good deal on the lens waiting for me in their showcase :rolleyes:

Quentin_Bargate

To be fair neither have I. I borrowed this one for the weekend to see what I thought of it.

Two conclusions I reached:
- It's certainly not as bad as some people want you to believe
- It's fun to use/small/pocketable

However rather than running out and just "get another lens in my bag" I'm actually trying to do the same style shooting with the kit lens at 18 mm (just 2 mm less wide, but no real problem for me) and see if that doesn't meet the majority of my needs. Pocketability of the body + kit is certainly not as good but IQ/flexibility wise I have found it very well suited for my needs and stopped me from buying the 16 mm. However, don't know how "strong" I will be fighting the lens lust when I pass a shop who has a good deal on the lens waiting for me in their showcase :rolleyes:
Ha, know what you mean. Try the Zeiss 24mm. Its fast at F/1.8 and an ideal general purpose focal length, around 36mm in so-called full frame format. Also a lot sharper than the pancake lens.

V

Vivek

I used the pancake recently and captured this.:bugeyes:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

I agree that the 16/2.8 has severe limitations on the NEX-7. I am hoping to add the 24/1.8 soon.

V

Vivek

Manual focusing isn't a problem but clarity and contrast under cloudy skies (the norm here) is.

NEX-7, Olympus pen F 40/1.4

So, that is another reason to seeking to add the 24/1.8.

pegelli

Ha, know what you mean. Try the Zeiss 24mm. Its fast at F/1.8 and an ideal general purpose focal length, around 36mm in so-called full frame format. Also a lot sharper than the pancake lens.
You might get me into trouble here Quentin, advising me to fight the lust to buy a 200 € lens by recommending I get one five times more expensive :bugeyes:

But I agree, it's very tempting. Will probably decide between that one or a Voigtlander 12 mm (I like exterme angles). For the time being my kit will have to do all WA duties, got plenty of longer M-mount and OM lenses, but it's WA where I'm really lean on the Nex.

Quentin_Bargate

You might get me into trouble here Quentin, advising me to fight the lust to buy a 200 € lens by recommending I get one five times more expensive :bugeyes:

But I agree, it's very tempting. Will probably decide between that one or a Voigtlander 12 mm (I like exterme angles). For the time being my kit will have to do all WA duties, got plenty of longer M-mount and OM lenses, but it's WA where I'm really lean on the Nex.
New goodies are on their way from Sony, and no doubt others, including wide angle zooms. You better start saving! :eek:;)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Ok, I caved in and ordered one. It was the picture of the sausage that finally tipped me. :mad:

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Cindy, Jono, Quentin and Hermann.

BTW The Leica 180/3.4 price has risen substantially since I bought.

Here's one from a station, the guy must be in trance:)

Michiel

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Sony NEX 5N and a new lens. Brian Sweeney built a lens for me with the optics from a 1937 pre-war uncoated Contax mount Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50 f/1.5. He used a donor body/mount Jupiter 3 (so it is very petite). These are some of my first test shots.
f/4

f/1.5

f/1.5

V

Vivek

Cindy, More information on the lens please. Did you use a hood on it?

I have a few similar (uncoated) Sonnars around and am not sure if it would be worth the bother to get them mounted to use on the NEX-7.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Sony NEX 5N and a new lens. Brian Sweeney built a lens for me with the optics from a 1937 pre-war uncoated Contax mount Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50 f/1.5.

Wonderful images and always a treat to hear of restored lenses...any Zeiss Jena. If you ever tire of this lens let me know!

Looks great.

Bob

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Bob, I don't expect that to happen, but I will keep you in mind.
Vivek, Yes, I used a 40.5mm generic hood (same as I use on my Jupiter 3).

Brian Sweeney did the restoration for me. The components are: "Jupiter-3 in LTM and a Contax mount Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, serial number Below 285xxx. The German Sonnar is sharper and lower in contrast than the Jupiter 3" ,according to Brian. The colors from my Jupiter 3 (that Brian optimized for me and I also love...not the one used as the donor body here) are more pastel than the colors appear from this lens. I haven't used this lens enough yet, as I just got it, but I'm expecting that there will be flare when shooting into the light, since it is uncoated.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Cindy. Would love to see more pictures, also from your newly tuned Jupiter 3.

Brian S

Cindy's new lens...

Close-up and wide-open at f1.5.

100% crop on the Leica M9.

The pre-war Sonnars are amazing.

V

Vivek

NEX-7, Schneider Xenagon 30/3.5 at f/3.5

Despite its simple construction (4 elements 3 groups- a Tessar clone), the Robot Xenagon 30/3.5 is quite nice on the NEX-7 (it was on the NEX-5 as well).

It would be nice if Zeiss would make a 30/1.4 for the NEX.

Brian S

I have a 4cm F1.4 Zeiss Biotar made for a 35mm movie camera, will be converting it soon. Perfect glass, made in the 1920s. Zeiss made a 25mm F1.4 Biotar for 16mm cameras, image circle is not big enough.

V

Vivek

I have a 4cm F1.4 Zeiss Biotar made for a 35mm movie camera, will be converting it soon. Perfect glass, made in the 1920s. Zeiss made a 25mm F1.4 Biotar for 16mm cameras, image circle is not big enough.
I have both of them here. The 4/1.4 Biotar is a flare magnet. Perfect for Leica RF cam. Can't see what it does until after a picture is taken.:ROTFL:

The 25/1.4 Biotar is coated with the front elements deeply recessed inside the focus barrel. Barely covers the m4/3rds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.