The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeraash

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Wow. It seems A7 > A7r in terms of corner artifact.
In terms of vignette and purple shift, yes. But smearing, no. IMO, only 50 cron and longer focal range are ok. If one want manual focus wide angle now, the best choice is probably getting slr lenses such as decent contax/yashica.

mmbma

disappointed. Was going to buy it to use Leica lenses, as a back up to the Monochrom. I guess no more

Taylor Sherman

FYI, take those with a grain of salt - look at the ZM50 pictures at f/5.6, for instance. The left side is fuzzy and the right side is not. Lens? adapter? something else? I don't know.

I'm certainly not expecting perfection with my wider RF lenses on the A7R. But, I haven't given up on it completely yet. I'll just have to see if it is good enough for me when I get mine.

J

Jeff Laitila

I shot some more images with the A7 today. You can find the full resolution images at the following link. The lens used for each shot is identified in the file name. These are all shot as JPEGs.

Sony A7 test images - sushicam

Some thoughts from todays shooting:

1.) The CV 15mm SWH does have serious corner smearing and a magenta shift on the A7.

2.) The Contax 35-70mm f3.4 Vario-Sonnar, while kind of big on the A7 body, makes for a nice walk around lens on this camera. I did not buy the 28-70 kit zoom, as I would be willing to bet the Vario-Sonnar beats it by a significant margin in regards to image quality.

3.) The Canon ltm 35mm f2 is an absolute gem on the A7. Buy one before the prices rise any further.

4.) Longer lenses are a lot sharper in the corners than wide angles, as would be expected. Because of the great EVF of the A7/r I expect the price of tele ltm/M mount lenses to rise as people start realizing how great they perform, and how easy they are to use on this camera.

5.) The A7 drains a battery pretty fast. I got about 200 images and my battery was down to 9%. However I was doing a lot of chimping, so that no doubt had an affect.

6.) I LIKE this camera! :)

A7 with Canon ltm 35mm f2 at f2.8

Last edited:

Thorkil

Just in case you missed these (brace yourself if you have an investment in RF WA lenses):

SONY A7R With Rangefinder Lenses - a set on Flickr
SONY A7 With Rangefinder Lenses - a set on Flickr
..this look really bad. Then the mainidea seems to have totally gone for my part, unless I'm willing to use the Nikkor 14-24, which seems to be doing pretty well at camelab.com, but its rather bulky..., and I thought I've left it behind me for good...hhmmm
thorkil

retow

My plan was to use it for LeicaM, the ZM Sonnar 50 and CV15mm lenses. I`m glad I cancelled my pre-order a couple of day ago. It seems there is no retirement for my trusty M9 in sight.

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for sharing your images, Jeff. Looks very encouraging! Beautiful flare in that one shot with the Canon ltm 35. Could you perhaps post an image that shows the Vario-Sonnar on the A7? I'd be interested in the proportions of lens vs. body...

Ron Pfister

..this look really bad. Then the mainidea seems to have totally gone for my part, unless I'm willing to use the Nikkor 14-24, which seems to be doing pretty well at camelab.com, but its rather bulky..., and I thought I've left it behind me for good...hhmmm
thorkil
Personally, I've decided that compact WA SLR primes (C/Y, Leica-R, others?) are the way to go for me until Zeiss shows their hand with their MF FE lens line-up next year. It clearly doesn't make sense for me to invest in any more M-mount glass wider than 35-40mm, as I don't own a digital Leica-M body.

Thorkil

Personally, I've decided that compact WA SLR primes (C/Y, Leica-R, others?) are the way to go for me until Zeiss shows their hand with their MF FE lens line-up next year. It clearly doesn't make sense for me to invest in any more M-mount glass wider than 35-40mm, as I don't own a digital Leica-M body.
I've only got some M-lenses and some Nikkor. But I could perhaps use a 14mm Samyang for Nikon to go wide plus the standard 28-70(have to wait for some test or wait to test it myself), until Sony/zeis make some wide ones.
thorkil

algrove

Anyone think that the guy on Flickr picked lenses that he knew might not perform well? Maybe he sells Leica gear and wants to lower his M240 inventory.

No WATE and how about Contax G AF lenses?

mmbma

That's not fair. the guy went through the trouble so all of us would be better informed before spending our money. I appreciate his efforts. The lenses he picked are popular M lenses and I have 2 of them.

WATE is not a common lens. I won't be surprised if it doesn't work well.

I'm glad I held my horses before ordering one. wheww, withdrawn my M9p sales ad

Anyone think that the guy on Flickr picked lenses that he knew might not perform well? Maybe he sells Leica gear and wants to lower his M240 inventory.

No WATE and how about Contax G AF lenses?

There are some samples up on Flickr with the Rokkor 40/2 on the A7 that are stunning. I always loved that lens on my CL so it will be a must (re)buy with the A7.

V

Vivek

There are some samples up on Flickr with the Rokkor 40/2 on the A7 that are stunning. I always loved that lens on my CL so it will be a must (re)buy with the A7.
I have one (swell lens) and will check it on the A7R in a few days.

Thorkil

If anyone had some suggestions for some proper usable wide-prime/s from 14mm and up, or perhaps a wide zoom, for the 7 or 7r, and not too expensive, and perhaps some pictures already, that would be very nice.
(I guess the M-summicron's 50/2 and 90/2 could do a proper job.)
thorkil

Status
Not open for further replies.