The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-hawinkler

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

If anyone had some suggestions for some proper usable wide-prime/s from 14mm and up, or perhaps a wide zoom, for the 7 or 7r, and not too expensive, and perhaps some pictures already, that would be very nice.
(I guess the M-summicron's 50/2 and 90/2 could do a proper job.)
thorkil

It appears so, doesn't it.
I wonder how the Rigid Summicron from the 1950s will be doing?

philber

I have read one comment (no pics) indicating that the WATE was clean. As it is also clean on the NEX 7, I am ready to believe it.
So far, it seems that the Ultron 21 is free of smear, but with some colour shift/vignetting, so probably one of the best options.
In my case, I will try my Touit 12mm in crop mode. That should give me a clean 18mm with still plenty of pixels from my A7R.

Ron Pfister

In my case, I will try my Touit 12mm in crop mode. That should give me a clean 18mm with still plenty of pixels from my A7R
You should achieve very similar results as on an NEX-6. The pixel pitch is almost identical. Better high-ISO performance than on the NEX-7, that's for sure.

k-hawinkler

I have read one comment (no pics) indicating that the WATE was clean. As it is also clean on the NEX 7, I am ready to believe it.
So far, it seems that the Ultron 21 is free of smear, but with some colour shift/vignetting, so probably one of the best options.
In my case, I will try my Touit 12mm in crop mode. That should give me a clean 18mm with still plenty of pixels from my A7R.
As it is also clean on the NEX 7 ... Well, not completely, please see here: Leica User Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Question for NEX-7 users re M-wide lenses

philber

I used a WATE on my NEX 7 for a couple of weeks, and could not get it to generate colour shift, even at infinity and 16mm...
I couldn't see the pics, not being a member at that forum, but, from the post, I am not alone in calling the WATE clean on NEX 7.

k-hawinkler

I used a WATE on my NEX 7 for a couple of weeks, and could not get it to generate colour shift, even at infinity and 16mm...
I couldn't see the pics, not being a member at that forum, but, from the post, I am not alone in calling the WATE clean on NEX 7.
Well, I could post the images here.
On that site registration is free and one only needs to supply an email address.
Anyway, in terms of proving something here one counter example seems sufficient, logically speaking. ;)

21/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

18/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

16/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

Last edited:

Knorp

Well, I could post the images here.
On that site registration is free and one only needs to supply an email address.
Anyway, in terms of proving something here one counter example seems sufficient, logically speaking. ;)
Hi Karl-Heinz,
thanks for posting these WATE shots, however it only shows vignetting/colour-shift, but what about corner sharpness ?

Thanks and best regards.

k-hawinkler

Hi Karl-Heinz,
thanks for posting these WATE shots, however it only shows vignetting/colour-shift, but what about corner sharpness ?

Thanks and best regards.

Thanks Bart. You are welcome.
Excellent question about corner sharpness or smearing of WATE on NEX-7.

I actually did some checks back in 2012.03.22. Here are my results.
Unfortunately I forgot which f-number I used.
But based on the exposure times it sure looks like I stopped down a bit.

21/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

Full resolution image: http://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/201...ng/i-8drxFDc/0/O/_DSC0031_21_mm_6000x4000.jpg

18/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

Full resolution image: http://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/201...ng/i-QNV2rjt/0/O/_DSC0033_18_mm_6000x4000.jpg

16/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

Full resolution image: http://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/201...ng/i-qtrJKHd/0/O/_DSC0035_16_mm_6000x4000.jpg

philber

On other A7 threads reports and shots of "which lens works well with A7" are so contradictory and confusing that one has to conclude that adapters seem toplay a major part in the result. Otherwise, how can you explain that some claim the Summilux 50 to be a joy, and others "very disappointing, with serious issues"?

Ron Pfister

I agree with you that adapters are adding a dimension that makes comparisons even more difficult. In addition, I think an important factor to keep in mind when weighing the opinion of others is that there are those who pixel-peep and those who don't. The magnification factor achieved when viewing A7R files at 100% is considerably greater than e.g. with files from a Leica M9 or an NEX-5/6. From discussions I've read elsewhere, this fact seems to lead some people to conclude that results from the A7R are worse than they really are. The reality is that you see every artifact in much more detail. Working with my D800E, I've come to accept that very few of my Leica-R and Zeiss ZF.2 lenses deliver outstanding results corner-to-corner (and those only at ideal apertures).

Edit: also, let's not forget shooting technique. A 36MP sensor is *very* unforgiving as far as motion blur is concerned. A tripod alone is nowhere near a guarantee for a blur-free image, especially with non-IS lenses. Due to its lack of an electronic first shutter curtain as well as its light weight and small surface area around the tripod mount, I expect the A7R to be even more demanding than the D800E with this respect.

V

Vivek

For one such lens, the 36MP digi back is well worth it. :)

Ron Pfister

Super tele with the tiny A7R
I'm looking forward to testing my long Canon glass with the A7R, too. The NEXen work very well on these lenses with the Metabones smart adapter. Which adapter are you using? And how to you like the 200-400 EF?

PS: Thanks for your review!

Status
Not open for further replies.