The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I will answer with my story.

Shot #2

Sony A7R, Olympus pen F 60/1.5, f/1.5, ISO1600, 1/125s, very faint window light

V

Vivek

With a Sony flash (fill).

Sony A7R, Olympus pen F 60/1.5, Fill flash. ISO50, 1/60s, f/1.5.

V

Vivek

I have to check out the shot gun shutter. It does not startle me (like NEX-5) and when the EVF is used, it is manageable.

Sony A7R, APO Componon 40/2.8, f/2.8, ISO400, 1/15s, very mixed lighting

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I could not last >30 mins outside though it was only +6 C and not really freezing.

A couple of snaps. Very poor lighting and very mixed as well.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, APO Componon 40/2.8, f/2.8, ISO12800, 1/200s

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Olympus pen F 60/1.5, f/1.5, ISO12800, 1/250s

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

It's not fun testing this stuff is it. LOL

Now you know how much work I put in this stuff.

So given that I award you the prestigious

GetDPI Guinea Pig award. Oh no time to celebrate get out there and shoot more bud. Lol

V

Vivek

Here is my reason (though there is actually >100 lenses that I can mount on the A7R) for going with the pen F 60/1.5 and the APO Componon 40/2.8 (mounted for Leica screw).

The pen F 60/1.5 looks like it is made for the A7R. Handling is just superb. It covers the frame without hiccups. The 40/2.8 Componon is really great, I have shot with this on film several years ago and I am delighted that I can use it on a FF digital. Almost a pancake. :)

So, here is the story behind the delay- I thought I had the LR 5.3RC but did not. My winzip had expired... soo...

Still, I am not so sure about the RAW converter. It is waay better than the Sony IDC (just spits out junk) though. All the images (NR off in the camera) were put through LR and resized in PS with very gentle Nik sharpening.

The shot gun shutter is very loud and gets everyone's attention. I think I will be better off with the grip. As is, at least one of my fingers is not covering the camera. This is much much better than the NEX' where only 2 or 3 fingers touch the cam.

V

Vivek

Guy, Man, I really felt threatened! :D

Very sorry for the delay.

V

Vivek

Congrats and enjoy, Vivek. I'm sure you've got many things you want to try, but when you get to it, please share your impressions of your modified Sony 50 1.8.

John
Bad news John. :(

The best candidate NEX prime, the 50/1.8 OSS will not do. The good news is that a dud like the 30/3.5 Macro (though it will not cover the FF) focuses very fast. It is really shocking!

neelin

>>That Lens Compensation tool, soon to be released for the A7(r) too, looks very promising.

Quote:
This app lets users manually select correction values for lens peripheral shading, chromatic aberration and distortion. By saving the correction values as a lens profile, the same correction can be applied while shooting anytime.
・ Peripheral Shading: Corrects brightness and the intensity of reds and blues around the edges of images
・ Chromatic Aberration: Corrects red and blue lateral aberration
・ Distortion: Corrects barrel and pincushion distortion

I wonder if your Android device, or the camera can manage a quantity of profiles for different lenses so you're able to switch between them fairly easily?
Obviously if the lens is not chipped/electronic, they'd have to be changed manually.

V

Vivek

cold, cloudy, poor light? seems like a good day to take photos as any day with a new camera is a good day to take photos.
I did (not many snaps though). I will try to add a few more soon. Just for you, Mikal, I really tried to get some non static shots. :)

Hi Vivek I know you have a plethora of old glass but if you could see your way to popping on Olympus or Contax that would be nice.

Sean
Will do, Sean. OM 50/1.8, 50/1.2, 85/2, 24/2.8, 28/3.5, 50/3.5 Macro. I have to buy some C/Y lenses though. :)

V

Vivek

Looking forward seeing Leica WA lenses on your 7R (21 SEM in particular).
I will posts some samples (no SEM21) but the 20/5.6 Russar has huge color shifts but looks sharp. The W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4 also is very sharp but with some color shift. These are extreme examples of "symmetric" lenses with very short back focus.

The Minolta M-Rokkor 28/2.8 appears to be a huge surprise with no apparent problems.

V

Vivek

>>That Lens Compensation tool, soon to be released for the A7(r) too, looks very promising.

Quote:
This app lets users manually select correction values for lens peripheral shading, chromatic aberration and distortion. By saving the correction values as a lens profile, the same correction can be applied while shooting anytime.
・ Peripheral Shading: Corrects brightness and the intensity of reds and blues around the edges of images
・ Chromatic Aberration: Corrects red and blue lateral aberration
・ Distortion: Corrects barrel and pincushion distortion

I wonder if your Android device, or the camera can manage a quantity of profiles for different lenses so you're able to switch between them fairly easily?
Obviously if the lens is not chipped/electronic, they'd have to be changed manually.
Unfortunately, this is a jpg only app. Very limited scope but great for direct uploads using WiFi/NFC.

V

Vivek

Will do, Guy. :)

Here is how the pen F 60/1.5 looks like on the 7R. (The perverse combo on the left is a NEX-C3 and a Wild-Heerbrugg Reconar 9.8cm f/1 lens in a focus mount. :D Though it is a medium format lens, the A7R (or an A7) will have to do.)

iiiNelson

Unfortunately, this is a jpg only app. Very limited scope but great for direct uploads using WiFi/NFC.
Is it? I noticed in the settings on the website that there was an image quality setting between JPEG quality size and the theres a RAW size selection it appeared. I could be wrong and maybe that's faulty information on the site.

Apparently many stores in USA received large shipments of A7/r.

jonoslack

Thanks Vivek for all the great information.
It's refreshing to be sitting this one out. I'm really interested, but I'm waiting to see about the 24-70 f4 zoom before I decide (I'm relying on you to test this one Tim)

all the best
Jono

Status
Not open for further replies.