The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pfister

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

How do they do that for a lens mounted with an adapter?
My guess is that they either don't use this de-convolution sharpening approach (which it undoubtedly is) if there's no electronic aperture info available, or they use a standard default value, or the Bionz-X is powerful enough to analyze the image and parametrize the sharpening accordingly. Would be very interested to know what exactly goes on!

fotografz

Hey guys, Marke Gilbert stopped by on his way to a business meeting near me and brought along his recently delivered A7R.

We did a few shots with a few A mount ZAs on the LAEA4 adapter, and a few more with some M lenses.

What are you using to process the RAW files? Unfortunately, I can't install LR5 or PS6 on my machine as it is too old and I've been waiting to evaluate the new Mac Desk-Top.

Is there a DNG converter that'll do these A7R files? It is really difficult to judge based on just jpegs ... and I didn't have enough time to really adjust any settings other than the basics.

Jpegs look pretty good, but the really high ISO stuff seems to have a heavy dose of in-camera noise reduction.

- Marc

jonoslack

Actually, I should not care. I gave up chasing those a long while back. :)

A shot with the Olympus 85/2. The Leica RF is more fascinating to some than the latest and the greatest used for this shot. :eek:
Indeed Vivek - nice to see your subject has his head screwed on right! Had the boot been on the other foot (i.e. he was taking the shot) I guess he might have nailed the focus :p

More seriously, I think all of these cameras take good snaps . . . . . . . the ergonomics and operation of the camera seem to me of much more significance than the IQ.

. . .but then, that's just me.

. . . lovely snaps of your son incidentally.

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, He actually asked for a shot with the MM in focus. :ROTFL:

Sony A7R, Olympus OM 50/1.2, f/1.2, ISO1600

Thanks for your kind words. :)

V

Vivek

I spent a bit of time (indoors, close magnification ranges) searching for Moire with lenses that are capable. All in vain. :confused:

fotografz

Thank you Ron. Converting as I write this. :)

- Marc

PS, I think Jono is going to like his M75/2AA on this camera! :thumbup:

jonoslack

Thank you Ron. Converting as I write this. :)

- Marc

PS, I think Jono is going to like his M75/2AA on this camera! :thumbup:
HI Marc
I'm sure I would, but I'd always prefer to use it on an M . . . I'm available for the A7r, but it needs a good zoom before I bite. . . . the 24-70 f4 might be it, but Tim Ashley will tell me whether or no!

More seriously, I don't need a new body for M lenses, but I am open to a new body for AF zoom lenses.

algrove

HI Marc
I'm sure I would, but I'd always prefer to use it on an M . . . I'm available for the A7r, but it needs a good zoom before I bite. . . . the 24-70 f4 might be it, but Tim Ashley will tell me whether or no!

More seriously, I don't need a new body for M lenses, but I am open to a new body for AF zoom lenses.
Me too. The AF capabilities are exciting on the a7r. You are a Contax guy. Have you seen that video where someone put a Techart AF Contax-E mount adapter on an a7r? The Contax G lens focused OK. I have a 21/2.8, 28/2.8 and 45/2 and am looking forward to seeing how they might work out.

So far Vibek's photos have convinced me that non-M lenses work the best, but testing and examples are just beginning to come online.

Ron Pfister

I spent a bit of time (indoors, close magnification ranges) searching for Moire with lenses that are capable. All in vain. :confused:
My experience with the D800E has been that moiré is very rarely visible. I've seen it with certain textiles and sometimes with bird plumage, but for my practical purposes, it is a non-issue. The subject matter I shoot generally does not contain large areas with uniform patterns of high-frequency. However, the case may perhaps be altered for fashion or architecture photographers.

fotografz

Marke Gilbert is a Canon guy and had a Canon lens with him using a Metabones AF adapter. It was pretty slow focusing (as in "snail slow") ... okay for more leisurely, static subject work.

In contrast, the Sony LAEA4 Translucent Mirror adapter for my A mount lenses was at least as fast AF as my A99. I did not have the camera in hand long enough to properly test it on a moving subject.

I need more time with this LAEA4 adapter and the ZA lenses ... the few shots I did with a ZA24/2 were not in critical focus, but I didn't concentrate on that aspect or how to set the AF array, and so on. The ZA50/1.4 was better. As was the ZA16-35/2.8, and at 16mm seemed about the same as on the A99 with some similar levels of vignetting expected @ 16mm.

If I go for A7R, I'll probably get a few native lenses for it ... but for the most part I view it as a back-up to the A99 for paying work using the ZA lenses I already have ... and a small high res color portrait companion to the Leica M Monochrome when traveling so I don't have to drag along a different set of lenses. I do not use WA lenses very much even on the M camera.

So, I was far more interested in how it worked with my M50/0.95 and 75/2AA ... plus tried it with the M90/2.8. Focus peaking seems to work very well on this camera. The most interesting aspect was how fast and easy it was to focus @ 0.95 in lighting conditions that would be very challenging for rangefinder work. The A7R's EVF is literally like adding night vision.

For me, the singular most important test of this camera is for use with the M50/0.95 (my most used focal length by a huge margin) ... it has to only work with that lens to make it worth the price.

I have a Leica M240 Demo coming tomorrow AM to test and write a review ... I am going to try to get Marke to bring back the A7R so I can do a few comparisons based on how I shoot.

- Marc

Annna T

Me too. The AF capabilities are exciting on the a7r. You are a Contax guy. Have you seen that video where someone put a Techart AF Contax-E mount adapter on an a7r? The Contax G lens focused OK. I have a 21/2.8, 28/2.8 and 45/2 and am looking forward to seeing how they might work out.

So far Vibek's photos have convinced me that non-M lenses work the best, but testing and examples are just beginning to come online.
If you are speaking of the Zeiss Contax G lenses (as is my case), then I fear that these RF lenses won't behave very differently from the wa Leica M lenses. I have just read that even the Leica 50mm F1.4 Sumilux is producing smeared corners on the A7r. Too bad, I have been waiting for a digital back for those lenses since a long time, but what I have read recently has lowered my hopes.

Thorkil

...it seems like it will be a Scientific approach to get wide lenses working on a A7/r, when the M's are out of the question. So I might better back of and perhaps stick to a Nikon D610 instead, for wides and high iso demands
thorkil

jonoslack

For me, the singular most important test of this camera is for use with the M50/0.95 (my most used focal length by a huge margin) ... it has to only work with that lens to make it worth the price.

I have a Leica M240 Demo coming tomorrow AM to test and write a review ... I am going to try to get Marke to bring back the A7R so I can do a few comparisons based on how I shoot.

- Marc
HI Marc

As I say - I'm still up for an A7r, but I doubt I'd use it with the 50 0.95, because I'm still fine focusing with the M. However, it is an interesting point, and I'm in favour of the new EVFs (I think that the Sony and Olympus ones use the same Epson panel). But you make an interesting point - I think you'll find that focusing with the M is just more successful than with the M9 - the improved rangefinder really is improved. I also think you'll be seduced by the new shutter and find the colour is now fine with the new firmware (certainly, I have no complaints, and I'm not seeing many complaints from users either).

All the best

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

HI Marc

Jono,

Without any experience concerning the 24-70 F4, I am inclined to think that the 24-70 F2.8 Zeiss, using one of the a-mount to e-mount apaters, might be a better solution, I can certainly vouche for the 24-70 F2.8 Vario Sonnar to be one of the best zooms I used, across all brands.

I do have doubts that the new one is a match.

Sony 24-70mm F/2.8 SSM Carl Zeiss review

V

Vivek

It is quite likely that Jono will be taken with the new (upcoming and 5 years too late) PanaLeica m43rds camera. Yesterday, the camera shop guy was asking me if I knew how "large" the Lumix sensor was. :ROTFL:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

It is quite likely that Jono will be taken with the new (upcoming and 5 years too late) PanaLeica m43rds camera. Yesterday, the camera shop guy was asking me if I knew how "large" the Lumix sensor was. :ROTFL:
:wtf:

Well, hold your thumb up to your right eye to get an impression of the sensor size... closer...CLOSER... getting there... closer... DAMMIT I said closer...

"OUCH"... There you are.

V

Vivek

Come on, Georg! If you go by the pixel density, a 16MP m43rds sensor wins hands down! :angel:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Come on, Georg! If you go by the pixel density, a 16MP m43rds sensor wins hands down! :angel:
Hey, I am passed 50 years, I stopped looking at the pixel density long ago, it makes me dizzy and gives me a headache. ;)

I rather look at the results coming out of my 11880 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.