The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

UV and IR sensitivity of A7R

The UV/IR cut filter in A7R is stronger than the ones in the NEX cams.

No UV is registered.

IR is well suppressed as well.

The camera is only useful for Visible light captures.

tashley

Subscriber Member
A7R with 28 Cron and 90mm Macro Elmar

In short, 28 Cron is a 'no' (or at least a 'not really') and the 90mm Macro Elmar is a 'Yes, but'.

The files, as yesterday, are uploading (slowly!) to here. The colour cast shots are half size, the others are full size if you want to download them. All of them have captions to help you see the F stop and all have full EXIF.

In terms of colour shading, the 28 Cron is disappointing. Not as bad as the 18mm Super Elmar but not as good as the 35 Lux FLE. In terms of edge sharpness, an unfussy user might be happy by F8 but the corners take F11. Another one for eBay I think; it was starting to look not wonderful on the M240 and is a fail on on the A7R.

The 90mm Macro Elmar is one of my favourite lenses with pretty much any camera it mounts on. Colour shading on the A7R is a non-issue and sharpness seems good though across the frame - I have not shot Test Shots as such, no brick wall types, because it was evidently just fine in normal use especially at F5.6 and pretty good at F4 and F8. Bit of CA, which cleans up nicely. The 'but' is merely that the use of magnified focus is tough with an unstabilised lens of this length (the subject is very jiggly and there is some Jello too) and that you will need at least a 250th and even that does not always work perfectly. But it is a small and lovely and light lens and very useful.

I am also uploading some more general snaps from these two lenses and one example purposely underexposed for the main subject and then given a +100 shadows boost for comparison. My opinion so far is that the A7R does not have quite the clean shadow behaviour of the D800E. It is very good, but the files seems lightly less pliable. More shooting needed and possibly at some point a comparison or two...

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

It is quite likely that Jono will be taken with the new (upcoming and 5 years too late) PanaLeica m43rds camera. Yesterday, the camera shop guy was asking me if I knew how "large" the Lumix sensor was. :ROTFL:
Hi Vivek
Not interested in a rebadged Panasonic - but I'd certainly like it if Leica were to produce a µ43 camera - You can take the pi$$ but the E-M1 is a great camera which produces fine results, and there are many excellent lenses available (including some panaleica lenses). dPreview can't be wrong :ROTFL:

Sometimes µ43 produces just the right amount of depth of field:

Incidentally - was that the camera shop guy in the shot above? he looks terrified!

:angel:

V

Vivek

The camera shop guy looks terrified because he learned that sony.nl would sell directly to an individual well ahead of his chain getting any sample at all.

BTW, Jono, that shot just illustrates how bad Oly and its lenses are. Missed the focus totally!:cussing:

jonoslack

Jono,

Without any experience concerning the 24-70 F4, I am inclined to think that the 24-70 F2.8 Zeiss, using one of the a-mount to e-mount apaters, might be a better solution, I can certainly vouche for the 24-70 F2.8 Vario Sonnar to be one of the best zooms I used, across all brands.

I do have doubts that the new one is a match.
Hi There Georg - if I were going to use the 24-70 f2.8 Zeiss (lovely lens) Then I'd rather use it with the A99 replacement (which will presumably be 36mp as well) . . . or else just go for a D800e.

There seems to me to be little point in having a teeny weeny body if you need to put great big lenses on it.

In terms of colour shading, the 28 Cron is disappointing. Not as bad as the 18mm Super Elmar but not as good as the 35 Lux FLE. In terms of edge sharpness, an unfussy user might be happy by F8 but the corners take F11. Another one for eBay I think; it was starting to look not wonderful on the M240 and is a fail on on the A7R.
Thank you Tim
So - clearly - the answer is that buying an A7r to use with M lenses less than 35mm (and probably 50mm) is really not worth the candle.

I'm still tempted - but I'll wait for the zoom.

jonoslack

The camera shop guy looks terrified because he learned that sony.nl would sell directly to an individual well ahead of his chain getting any sample at all.

BTW, Jono, that shot just illustrates how bad Oly and its lenses are. Missed the focus totally!:cussing:
:ROTFL: Well, I'm afraid I focused on the Seagull's chest rather than his head. . . . on the other hand the camera certainly did get the decisive moment . . . even if you'd prefer me to have focused elsewhere :roll eyes:

But, okay, it is a jokey shot - but it's at 320mm equivalent, and the camera did focus instantly and did get the shot - that kind of instant single shot focusing speed - and a complete lack of shutter lag is not something I'd experienced before the OMD - and the E-M1 is even faster.

Horses for courses (which was my point)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Hi There Georg - if I were going to use the 24-70 f2.8 Zeiss (lovely lens) Then I'd rather use it with the A99 replacement (which will presumably be 36mp as well) . . . or else just go for a D800e.

There seems to me to be little point in having a teeny weeny body if you need to put great big lenses on it.

Actually more the point over the D800E is much better live view and focus peaking. EXACTLY why I am looking at this

algrove

If you are speaking of the Zeiss Contax G lenses (as is my case), then I fear that these RF lenses won't behave very differently from the wa Leica M lenses. I have just read that even the Leica 50mm F1.4 Sumilux is producing smeared corners on the A7r. Too bad, I have been waiting for a digital back for those lenses since a long time, but what I have read recently has lowered my hopes.
You could very well be right.

Did you happen to see the video that was on SAR a few ekes ago? The Contax G lens AF'd well and a test shot or two looked crisp to me.

tashley

Subscriber Member

I couldn't agree more: in fact the A7R body is already stretched for space by the number of things it needs to do and ergonomics are nowhere near as good as a D800. Which is fine if you are saving weight and bulk but frankly, by the time you've packed all the extra batteries that you will need and decided to carry a load of full frame lenses with adaptors you will have saved so very little weight or space that it would not be worth it at all.

Thank you Tim
So - clearly - the answer is that buying an A7r to use with M lenses less than 35mm (and probably 50mm) is really not worth the candle.

I'm still tempted - but I'll wait for the zoom.
I totally agree. I'm sure there will be some lenses that work OK but really, unless the batch of 'native FE lenses' turn out to be great, this system will have little life in it for me. I also today tried all my E mount lenses and they all, as expected, impose their own crop of vignette.

Mark K

Mounted on a M42 lens....I need to get hold all my friend's lenses before I know which is which

Rawfa

Hey Vivek, I´m curious about your aps-c e-mount lenses experiences. Did you get to "disassemble" one and test on the A7R yet?

V

Vivek

Hey Vivek, I´m curious about your aps-c e-mount lenses experiences. Did you get to "disassemble" one and test on the A7R yet?
Rafa, I posted already (earlier in the thread). None (without baffle) will work to cover the entire frame! :(

Rawfa

Rafa, I posted already (earlier in the thread). None (without baffle) will work to cover the entire frame! :(
Man, that is bad news. I was hoping I could use at least some of the smaller AF lenses I already have. As I´m getting the A7 I´m not really sure what results can be achieved with when shooting in APS-C mode (I think it shoots 10mp).

MikalWGrass

This is just not helping me out. If there is going to be a 36mp replacement for the a99 I may wait for that but with my a900 seeming to move a bit when I hit the shutter, I may be needing something new sooner than later. :banghead:

jonoslack

I'm sure there will be some lenses that work OK but really, unless the batch of 'native FE lenses' turn out to be great, this system will have little life in it for me. I also today tried all my E mount lenses and they all, as expected, impose their own crop of vignette.
I think that's where I've got to as well . . . I guess if the zoom and a couple of primes work well, then one could augment the system with a couple of Zeiss Nikon fit lenses . . .

A system is not made by a disparate batch of lenses with adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.