The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

You could very well be right.

Did you happen to see the video that was on SAR a few ekes ago? The Contax G lens AF'd well and a test shot or two looked crisp to me.
Yes I saw a video showing an adapter able to AF G lenses. That was nice. I'm sure that both the 45mm and the 90mm will be very good, especially the 45mm, but fear corner smearing for the wider ones. Look above : Tim Ashley says an M 28mm is not OK. I think it is a physical limit.

algrove

Yes I saw a video showing an adapter able to AF G lenses. That was nice. I'm sure that both the 45mm and the 90mm will be very good, especially the 45mm, but fear corner smearing for the wider ones. Look above : Tim Ashley says an M 28mm is not OK. I think it is a physical limit.
True the Leica 28 through TA's comments looks like a no. However. these Zeiss Contax G lenses are of a different construction. I will know soon after receiving my a7r and will comment here. Also I must say that TA sees way beyond my ability and as such he does not like the 28/2 nor 35 FLE even on an M240 if I recall correctly.

It seems the WATE Leica does work for some I have seen. 16-81-21 on that lens could be interesting to say the least.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Evening stroll A7R with Leica M 50 Lux wide open

Just a couple of frames wide open from this lens. I haven't taken any serious test shots with it but some casual frames imply that it won't be sharp to the sides until F5.6 or 8 and even then not at all 'surgically' so. But for softer work, or work where the edges don't matter but you want good sharpness at F1.4 it seems very nice. I have done no colour shading tests yet.

Boy, seeing what these M lenses do on the A7R really makes me realise what a feat the M240 sensor designers pulled off!

jonoslack

HI There
I hope you're well!

True the Leica 28 through TA's comments looks like a no. However. these Zeiss Contax G lenses are of a different construction. I will know soon after receiving my a7r and will comment here. Also I must say that TA sees way beyond my ability and as such he does not like the 28/2 nor 35 FLE even on an M240 if I recall correctly.
I quite agree that the G lenses are different, I think that every lens will need to be evaluated separately - I'm sure there will be some good surprises as well as some bad ones.

Tim is very scrupulous - but the colour shift the 28 'cron shows across the frame is hardly a marginal problem - cornerfix would certainly help here . . but of course it won't help with any smearing.

If you're going to take snaps of skies, then I think you can expect that you're going to need to do some work with anything wider than 35mm in M mount though - but perhaps that's part of the fun?

It seems the WATE Leica does work for some I have seen. 16-81-21 on that lens could be interesting to say the least.
Well - I'd expect it to be better - pity TA wasn't closer or I'd lend him mine to do some testing.

all the best

tashley

Subscriber Member

You could always send it to me Jono :D though I slightly felt when I had one that the 16-18-21 range would be better covered with an 18 and a pair of feet. But if it's the only one that works on the A7R then it will be very useful… at least until Sony delivers a high quality 18mm.

V

Vivek

A system is not made by a disparate batch of lenses with adapters.
That is true. Sony have said that there will be 15 lenses within a year. Those fuzzy manual focus lenses are going lose their value quite a bit, very soon.

jonoslack

You could always send it to me Jono :D though I slightly felt when I had one that the 16-18-21 range would be better covered with an 18 and a pair of feet. But if it's the only one that works on the A7R then it will be very useful… at least until Sony delivers a high quality 18mm.
I could Tim - but I use it very often. I do agree about 18mm and feet . . . except that I don't think there is really a downside to the WATE (apart from the f4).

Of course I could always buy a body and test it myself (I see they have one in stock at WEX):eek:

jonoslack

That is true. Sony have said that there will be 15 lenses within a year. Those fuzzy manual focus lenses are going lose their value quite a bit, very soon.
Actually Vivek, If you're thinking of the roadmap here:

Lens Roadmap

It looks like 2 years. Still, if they do that I think it's pretty exciting. But if Sony Rumors think it's a fake . . . . . .

tashley

Subscriber Member

Of course I could always buy a body and test it myself (I see they have one in stock at WEX):eek:
Hi, I'm Tim, I'll be your enabler today…

Joking. Don't unless you're feeling like a total impulse buy: I am not convinced yet...

algrove

Vivek

Forgot to ask if the RAW image sizes of the a7r have been compressed? If so, what size are they in RAW? Thanks.

algrove

Too bad my A7R hasn't arrived yet.
I am certainly itching to try out my WATE!

More and more postings of WATE results ... are showing up on the web.

Leica WATE on Sony A7R - a set on Flickr
K-H

That post did not show the 21 unless I missed it. Have you seen where all 3 FL settings work with the WATE? If so, then I will think that will be the Leica WA I would use most often.

Then I am anxious to see if the MATE works on all 3 FL which would give one from 16 to 50mm. Add a Leica 75 and someone is all set. I am starting to like this if the MATE now works as well as the WATE.

Let us know when you hear something about the MATE.

Knorp

:talk028::shocked:

Even the free black Billingham bag WEX are offering doesn't tempt me. . . . actually, that's a lie, it DOES tempt me.

Have you got yours yet Bart?
Jono, got my NEX/LER adapter, screen protector, charger and fully charged battery waiting for it, but no confirmation yet from my dealer.
But it could be in as soon as tomorrow ...

I tell you these are nerve-racking times :chug:

All the best.

Michiel Schierbeek

Jono, got my NEX/LER adapter, screen protector, charger and fully charged battery waiting for it, but no confirmation yet from my dealer.
But it could be in as soon as tomorrow ...

All the best.
Bart, it seems that the batterys are the same as the NEX-7.
Can I use the NEX-7 charger?

BTW I got conformation mine is coming tomorrow :chug:

jonoslack

Couldn't agree more
I will not press the buy button
I WILL not press the buy button
I WILL NOT press the buy button
I WILL NOT PRESS THE BUY BUTTON

:cry::eek::facesmack::chug:

Knorp

Bart, it seems that the batterys are the same as the NEX-7.
Can I use the NEX-7 charger?

BTW I got conformation mine is coming tomorrow :chug:
Michiel, I'm pretty sure it's the same battery: type NP-FW50 (W-series).
Bas Schweitzer called me already Wednesday expecting the camera today, but apparently the whole lot got caught by customs or so Sony told him.
The shipment is now due for tomorrow (Friday), but not holding my breath.

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.