The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Vivek

Thanks for the excellent photos with the 60 mm pen F lens. BTW, the original hood is useless. I am using the hood for the 42/1.2.

Will you be testing the 40 1.2 and 1.4, 100 mm, and 150?

This will become my carry around set. (including 60mm)

And then there are the R's starting at fish eye????

Thanks again.

Paul
Hi Paul, You lucky devil! :D

The 60/1.5 is very rare. I was trying sell it off last year (it is boxed and "mint") for a small price to fund the Leica MM. Luckily, for me, no one bought it! :ROTFL: [It is a pity that I have to sell 3 of my prized Zeiss lenses though.. :mad:]

The 42/1.2 falls short (painfully close). The 40/1.4 is no go.

The 38/2.8 (two lenses and both of them) , 70/2, 100/3.5, etc are fine. The 38/3.5 Macro, unfortunately, because of its recessed nature vignettes badly. I might put my sample to the knife to try to make use of it.

I only have 50/2 and a 28/2.8 R lenses. Wait for Lou (algrove) to get hold of an A7R. He has everything R if I am correct.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

I did take out my Canon 50/0.95. It is delicious on the A7R. Practically useless for my shooting but reserved for the "bokeh" shots.:)
SHOW US!

Thanks for the pics with the 60 .... very nice indeed.

Please do not neglect your MM.....

Bob

fotografz

Okay, I had the A7R in hand for a few minutes thanks to GetDPI member Marke Gilbert.

I'm mostly a people shooter, so I made him the victim of my quick fumbling attempts with one objective in mind ... how well/quick could I focus the Leica M 0.95, M75AA, and M90/2.8 shot wide open ... especially in low light ... the 50 Nocti being my most used M lens followed by the 75AA.

Importantly, how well when shooting wide open and close to an off-center subject (like Marke's "crazy person" Exacto knife to the eye shot on his cell phone). That sort of image has always been a bit tricky with a Nocti and Rangefinder camera.

Focus Peaking worked exceedingly well for my first attempts ... once I practice with the camera a bit more it should do quite nicely as a travel companion to the M Monochrome ... which I prefer for Rangefinder photography.

The A7R B&W shot was the 0.95 wide open in a dark room @ ISO 1,600 1/25th shutter ... (I corrected the ISO to 1,600) after double checking the exif info) ... and the EVF "gain" helps a lot in such dim shooting conditions.

Not certain about my post work quite yet ... that'll take a little time with files from different conditions and situations ... but I need the camera for that. Soon hopefully.

- Marc

Last edited:
V

Vivek

SHOW US!

Thanks for the pics with the 60 .... very nice indeed.

Please do not neglect your MM.....

Bob
Thanks, Bob. The MM will never be forgotten!

Here is a test snap from the Canon 50/0.95. Apologies for not showing the typical airy discs which so common for such fast lenses. :eek:

A few things to note: An improper (72mm) hood was used which results the extreme corners, also no geometric corrections or crops made.

Test by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Canon 50/0.95, f/0.95, ISO1600, 1/400s

algrove

I only have 50/2 and a 28/2.8 R lenses. Wait for Lou (algrove) to get hold of an A7R. He has everything R if I am correct.
Vivek

As you constantly remind me I have too many R lenses, but at least I do not have all of them. On the wide end I will try the 15/2.8 and 19/2.8. Assume the 60 macro (are you listening Jono?) and 100 macro will be fine. Also curious how the 28-90 will work out. I don't have the 80/1.4 which I suppose will be great. (Just joking Vivek) Enough for now.

V

Vivek

If you happen to have one of these, consider yourself very lucky. To all others, my apologies. :D

Sony A7R, Fujinon 50/1.2, f/1.2

fotografz

I've gotten used to an EVF Bob. I've been using the Sony SLT-A99 to shoot weddings. This EVF seems a wee touch better than the A99's, but I didn't do a direct comparison.

The real advantage is the view finder gain in really low light. Gets a bit grainy but the subject is clear for composition and timing.

- Marc

camping

Thanks Vivek for the info re the pen f lenses.

I have used film M's and the film R's for many years.

In the R's I have most lenses from fish eye to 180mm - lacking the 28mm, 80mm. I also have the Schneider 35mm 3.5 shift. At last I will get a digital camera to use them. Upgrading from a Nex 7.

Thanks for all your insight.

Paul

fotografz

BTW, here is a shot with the Sony ZA 16-35 @ 16/2.8 using the SLT adapter ... plus a crop of a corner. About the same as when used on the Sony FF DSLRs.

A quick snap of the Leica 75/2AA on the A7R ... as Goldie Locks said ... "Not to big, not to small ... just right". :thumbup:

- Marc

Bart, it seems that the batterys are the same as the NEX-7.
Can I use the NEX-7 charger?

BTW I got conformation mine is coming tomorrow :chug:
It is the same battery and you can use the same charger.
The A7r is shipped without charger, only an adaptor to allow to charge the battery inside the camera in about 300 minutes is included in the package.
Mine was half charger and it took 3 hours to get fully charged

M

mjr

Marc

Thanks for actually showing some decent images that are well composed and lit, it is far more interesting to see what the camera can do when some thought has been applied.

Mat

Thorkil

BTW, here is a shot with the Sony ZA 16-35 @ 16/2.8 using the SLT adapter ... plus a crop of a corner. About the same as when used on the Sony FF DSLRs.

A quick snap of the Leica 75/2AA on the A7R ... as Goldie Locks said ... "Not to big, not to small ... just right". :thumbup:

- Marc
:thumbup:...this ZA 16-35 looks like a decent and useful lens on the A7r, but almost as expensive and large (and heavy) as the Nikkor 14-24...hhmm
thorkil

Gbealnz

Re: UV and IR sensitivity of A7R

The UV/IR cut filter in A7R is stronger than the ones in the NEX cams.

No UV is registered.

IR is well suppressed as well.

The camera is only useful for Visible light captures.

Darn, I was kinda hoping the opposite to be honest, one of the things I'd use it for would be some casual astro imaging, on a telescope. No way will I be full spectrum modifying this.
Gary

Michiel Schierbeek

It is the same battery and you can use the same charger.
The A7r is shipped without charger, only an adaptor to allow to charge the battery inside the camera in about 300 minutes is included in the package.
Mine was half charger and it took 3 hours to get fully charged
Thank you Ario!

That is great to hear! I have two chargers and 4 batterys in total then :)
I don't like in camera charging much.

Any pics yet?

Kind regards, Michiel

Michiel,
I had problems with the adapters I had bought for M and F mount lenses, none was good enough to be used on my A7r. Today I will get two Fododix adapters which I hope will work as expected and allow me to test some lens.

Marc

Thanks for actually showing some decent images that are well composed and lit, it is far more interesting to see what the camera can do when some thought has been applied.

Mat
Marc: Big +1 to Mat's remarks. Thanks a lot for sharing the pictures and your first impressions. Really very useful!

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel,
I had problems with the adapters I had bought for M and F mount lenses, none was good enough to be used on my A7r. Today I will get two Fododix adapters which I hope will work as expected and allow me to test some lens.
Mmm... I fear for the quality of some of my adapters as well then....

Luckely I just laid my hands on a Sony Zeiss ZA 35/2.8 :)
Waiting for the camera this afternoon.

BTW Ario Do you have the VC Ultron 21/1.8? Still no secure conformation how that lens fares on the A7r. Just saw one nightshot on another forum. Although it looks good one can not make a proper conclusion. I see more and more good signs of the use of non RF wides, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.