The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Michiel,
I had problems with the adapters I had bought for M and F mount lenses, none was good enough to be used on my A7r. Today I will get two Fododix adapters which I hope will work as expected and allow me to test some lens.
Ario, They do not make their own adapters but resell them from some source in HK. Hope, you will find the proper adapters soon.

V

Vivek

Thank you Ario!

That is great to hear! I have two chargers and 4 batterys in total then :)
I don't like in camera charging much.

Any pics yet?

Kind regards, Michiel
The battery drains when left in the camera. So, it is best to leave it outside while not in use.

jfirneno

It's great seeing all the excitement over the A7s and the excellent legacy glass. If anyone has already received the 35mm f2.8 FE can you say whether the autofocus with it is good enough for low light venues (like a night time indoor environment)?

Thanks,
John

fotografz

:thumbup:...this ZA 16-35 looks like a decent and useful lens on the A7r, but almost as expensive and large (and heavy) as the Nikkor 14-24...hhmm
thorkil
Not all that expensive if you already own the ZA 16-35 ;)

I sure the heck wouldn't get the ZA specifically for this camera. I just gave it a try to see how my widest A mount lens would work.

The only thing a Canon or Nikon super-wide zoom on a Metabones adapter probably couldn't match is the AF speed of the SLT adapted ZA 16-35. The Nikon 14-24 is a nice lens ... one of the few I liked in the nikon line-up.

BTW, the SLT translucent mirror adapter specifically prohibits use of third party adapters on it. So, you can't get it, and "supposedly" stack a Leica R to A adapter.

Tried the M21/1.4 ASPH and while it vignetted more than on a M9, it seemed fixable enough for real world applications unless it's for architectural or big landscapes ... my 21 shots below were wide open or close to wide open shots. (just to be sure I correctly recall the M performance, I'll see how it does on the M240 today when my demo camera arrives).

Here's a few more ... also played around with a few efex to see how malleable the files are (they were). File name has info:

- Marc

Michiel Schierbeek

It's great seeing all the excitement over the A7s and the excellent legacy glass. If anyone has already received the 35mm f2.8 FE can you say whether the autofocus with it is good enough for low light venues (like a night time indoor environment)?

Thanks,
John
If I can I will test that tonight.

I am scrolling through the manual and wonder:

Noise reduction settings? Only found Long exposure NR for nightshots on the bottom of page 36
Auto HDR; only for Jpeg or RAW as well?

V

Vivek

If I can I will test that tonight.

I am scrolling through the manual and wonder:

Noise reduction settings?
Auto HDR; only for Jpeg or RAW as well?
Michiel, Congrats! :)

Looking forward to it. Where did you buy the 35/2.8?

Turn all those settings (NR, DRO, HDR, etc) off unless you want them.

I keep the lens shading correction to auto.

V

Vivek

Under menu,the camera icon, page 5.

Long Exp. NR
High ISO NR

Two settings.

Just got the M to Sony adapter and mounted the WATE on the A7r. Sorry for the nonsense shots but I was really curious to see if there is any paricular issue with this combo.

16mm-21mm-18mm @f:4

MikalWGrass

Marc, thanks for the review. Is the photo of the swimmer one of your famous shots from the National Hotel on South Beach?

New A7R or used a99?

W.Utsch

A7R arrived (body only, no lens so far) the day before yesterday!

DSC05097.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
A7R, Leica Summicron 50/2.0​

First impressions:
Build quality feels quite good - RX1 little bit better
Menu - the best from Sony so far.
High ISO, the best of all cams i had before.
Manual focus (magif. and peaking) works super.

Lenses tested so far

Leica M:
21/2.8 Elmarit - forget it, vignetting ans magenta corners - no sharp corners
28/2.8 Elmarit asph. magenta and no sharpness in corners
35/2 Cron. asph. the first usable lens -very little magenta, sharp corners from f 5.6 -8 on, but i will not use it (ordered the EF 35/2.8 Sonnar)

Everythig from 50 mm upwards works perfect:

50/2.0 Cron perfect
50/1.0 Noct. perfect
90/2.0 Cron. perfect

All my DSLR lenses work perfect, as expected super:

Leica R 60/2.8 Macro
Leica R 100/2.8 Apo Macro
Leica R 180/3.4 ApoTelyt
Schneider PC Super Angulon 28/2.8 (R-mount)

Novoflex adapters for Leica M and R glass

Canon L lenses:

16-35 2.8 L with autofocus
24- 105 4.0 L AF and Stabi.
50/1.4
24/3.5 TSE II

Canon with Metabones III

The DSLR lenses work really superb - but the whole thing gets big and ugly:

DSC05098.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

With Canon 16-35/2.8 L and Metabones ver. III

DSC05100.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

With Schneider Super Angulon PC 28/2.8 R-mount and Novoflex adapter - a very good combination​

Michiel Schierbeek

I got a message from Fotobooms that they are in stock.

But where in the menu can you find the NR setting ?
Thank you, Vivek

That's what i found on page 36 (downloaded manual from internet)

BTW Just got a homemade adapter from Moscow for Contax RF lenses.
Just made some test shots with the Jupiter-3 and old Industar 52/2.8 Fun ;)

fotografz

Marc, thanks for the review. Is the photo of the swimmer one of your famous shots from the National Hotel on South Beach?

New A7R or used a99?
Yes, that was shot at night at the National while I was down in Miami filming a bunch of TV commercials ... (i.e., put a palm tree in the story boards ... go to Miami in the winter :ROTFL:)

Ahhhh, those were the days. All expenses paid including all my film processing that a PA took to the lab for me. Hedonistic actually ;)

Anyway, hold your water until I'm down there with you ... I'll probably have the A99 and the A7R by then so you can fondle, er, handle them both. The A99 has more features to play with, and has in-camera stabilization. Just depends on size/weight issues overriding other stuff.

- Marc

V

Vivek

Thank you, Vivek

That's what i found on page 36 (downloaded manual from internet)

BTW Just got a homemade adapter from Moscow for Contax RF lenses.
Just made some test shots with the Jupiter-3 and old Industar 52/2.8 Fun ;)
The Bayonet teeth in the A7R is still plastic. So, careful mounting and dismounting of adapters is called for. You still have the 3 year free service plan from Sony. Still...

W.Utsch

Want to ad to my post above:

Really like the viewfinder of the A7R- The best EVF i had so far.

A very early verdict:

A great cam

- not all legacy glass is working (this was clear from the announcement of the cam). RF-WA's have some problems, but you can't have it all!
Almost EVERYTHING OTHER you can mount on the 7's and you will get incredible IQ and versatility.
I am looking forward to the Zeiss lenses for the 7's, i will use them for the most of the time.

Now i have to decide what to sell (NEX 7 and lenses are already gone) RX1??? Not sure yet....

MikalWGrass

I was asked to shoot a hassidic music festival a few days after the bar mitzvah and i really need another body to do so properly. I can use the M6 and TriX but nobody has patience for processing and scanning anymore. I can always rent a second body if I have to.

algrove

Raymond

This thread is so long by now that I forgot the M-E mount adapter you are using. Thanks for your postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.