The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Currently uploading to
Tim Ashley Photography | Sony A7R | _DSC5980

Colour cast series for the M 50 Lux and the F1 Noctilux, plus aperture series of distant landscape with both lenses. In short, less colour casts than wider lenses as expected, fairly useable for some purposes and best from F5.6 for colour shifts on both. In terms of edge sharpness, both ideally need F11 at which point diffraction has taken the shine off the centre but not by as much as you might think. In particular, the 'donut' field of focus shape of the Notctilux is as evident as it was on the M240. However, both lenses can produce some gorgeous files creatively at wider apertures, and are acceptable technically when stopped down enough. I will keep both… but if it could just be one, it would be the Nocti, because it is so damned sexy!

Last edited:

algrove

The Bayonet teeth in the A7R is still plastic. So, careful mounting and dismounting of adapters is called for. You still have the 3 year free service plan from Sony. Still...
This is actually very disappointing news as I have never seen a recent camera use plastic bayonet teeth.

Our warranty here is not 3 years so this situation might cause an additional expense if one is changing lenses often. Extended warranties are available for purchase so this is something to consider for sure IF one plans to keep this body for many years.

Thorkil

Not all that expensive if you already own the ZA 16-35 ;)

I sure the heck wouldn't get the ZA specifically for this camera. I just gave it a try to see how my widest A mount lens would work.

The only thing a Canon or Nikon super-wide zoom on a Metabones adapter probably couldn't match is the AF speed of the SLT adapted ZA 16-35. The Nikon 14-24 is a nice lens ... one of the few I liked in the nikon line-up.

BTW, the SLT translucent mirror adapter specifically prohibits use of third party adapters on it. So, you can't get it, and "supposedly" stack a Leica R to A adapter.

Tried the M21/1.4 ASPH and while it vignetted more than on a M9, it seemed fixable enough for real world applications unless it's for architectural or big landscapes ... my 21 shots below were wide open or close to wide open shots. (just to be sure I correctly recall the M performance, I'll see how it does on the M240 today when my demo camera arrives).

Here's a few more ... also played around with a few efex to see how malleable the files are (they were). File name has info:

- Marc
Nice Pictures.
Haven’t got any Sony gear, unfortunately 
Yes a 16-35 ZA could do the job for me it seems.
Sold my 14-24 and D800E too
36 Mp require a careful and patient mind I guess, and I had this issue being unsatisfied with the look, lack of crispness and lack of inspiring colours too.
Sony looks better, colours and rendering seems more crisp and sufficient colorsaturated, just as Olympus seems, but the Olympus lack the high iso range.
But then I would like a 24-70 too and then…and then we are getter too close to a M240
…and then a D610 with a 14mm Samyang would be a cheap solution for me(+ a Sigma 35 Art)(got some other Nikkors), and then not so ambitious
hhmmmm
Its no easy times… better keep my hands in my pocket for a while.
thorkil

mjm6

BTW, the SLT translucent mirror adapter specifically prohibits use of third party adapters on it. So, you can't get it, and "supposedly" stack a Leica R to A adapter.

- Marc
Marc,

I presume that a lens that has been converted to A mount will work (I hope)? I have a full kit of Leica R lenses that have been Leitax adapted to Sony A that I am intending to use...

Thanks for the excellent sample photos...

---Michael

Biglou

Hi All,
Received my A7R and my first tries look very promising with the Leica R lenses, my first reason to buy it.
Now i will appear stupid but any of you could direct me to an online complete user manual ?
It was not in the box, called also Sony support to inform them that none is availiable in french or english at online support and they acknoledged the fact after verification.
Thanks a lot
Joël

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Hi All,
Received my A7R and my first tries look very promising with the Leica R lenses, my first reason to buy it.
Now i will appear stupid but any of you could direct me to an online complete user manual ?
It was not in the box, called also Sony support to inform them that none is availiable in french or english at online support and they acknoledged the fact after verification.
Thanks a lot
Joël

http://download.sony-asia.com/consumer/IM/4478729112.pdf

Hi All,
Thanks a lot
Joël
Joël:

Should have been in the box, for sure. Anyway here's a link:

http://download.sony-asia.com/consumer/IM/4478729112.pdf

Hope you enjoy the new toy.

------------------------------------------------------------
:) Too late

J

JohnW

"It's no easy times..." I hear you, thorkil. I'm thinking I'll sit this one out as well. Moving from Nex 7 to A7 never made much sense to me, but the A7R has been enticing. But I'm not sure the hyperrealism that I'm seeing from this camera suits my photographic interests.

I'm so enamored with the GR's black and white output that I'm inclined to wait a bit and see what Ricoh comes up with. Of course, I may handle the A7R in my local camera store one day soon and find myself whipping out the credit card. It would not be my first impulsive camera purchase.

John

Nice Pictures.
Haven’t got any Sony gear, unfortunately 
Yes a 16-35 ZA could do the job for me it seems.
Sold my 14-24 and D800E too
36 Mp require a careful and patient mind I guess, and I had this issue being unsatisfied with the look, lack of crispness and lack of inspiring colours too.
Sony looks better, colours and rendering seems more crisp and sufficient colorsaturated, just as Olympus seems, but the Olympus lack the high iso range.
But then I would like a 24-70 too and then…and then we are getter too close to a M240
…and then a D610 with a 14mm Samyang would be a cheap solution for me(+ a Sigma 35 Art)(got some other Nikkors), and then not so ambitious
hhmmmm
Its no easy times… better keep my hands in my pocket for a while.
thorkil

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Michiel.

Regards,
John
Sorry John, Can't do it, not untill monday for that matter. The post man managed to deliver at my neighbours, who were not at home, and sign me in as not at home:banghead:

I felt like a disapointed child waiting for it's toy. Life is a bitch sometimes. :cussing:

jfirneno

Sorry John, Can't do it, not untill monday for that matter. The post man managed to deliver at my neighbours, who were not at home, and sign me in as not at home:banghead:

I felt like a disapointed child waiting for it's toy. Life is a bitch sometimes. :cussing:
That's too bad Michiel. Well, they say patience is a virtue. But I've never been virtuous. Best of luck with the new camera.

Regards,
John

V

Vivek

Here is how some Olympus pen F lenses behave on the A7R (all at infinity) and without a hood.

Pen-F-test-1 by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Edit: When the front filter ring is removed, the 38/1.8 is devoid of the corner clipping (there is still light fall off at f/1.8 that evens up by f/5.6). Will check the others soon.

Last edited:
J

JohnW

That's a major bummer. Once I jumped on my bicycle and caught up with the truck.

Anyway, you've waited this long....

John

Ron Pfister

I feel for you, but at least you're not alone: I've ordered the A7R from a Sony distributor here in Switzerland, and the ship date has been postponed by a week for the second time now. Looks like I'll be waiting 'til early December… :(

Status
Not open for further replies.