The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

algrove

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I bet that 20 minute drive could get closer to 15 minutes going to get it. Who cares about the minutes going back. Could be a long drive back if the battery were charged up so you could stop and create.

Don't forget your WATE and adapter as you rush out to hop into the car.

Michiel Schierbeek

Oh Dear
My anguish is quite different - a 20 minute drive bags me the camera, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet
You have to leave the warm house and get in a cold car, may be face a traffic jam and all the way to the store wonder why you are doing this, while you could have a quiet conversation with a good glass. :watch:

It's much better to have it delivered at your neighbour, one makes friends that way. :chug:

ashwinrao1

The wait continues for me too, but from what I am seeing, the sensor is quite temperamental, and as I had guessed, the camera should do best with 35 mm and longer, and certain wides of certain design. I was suprised by the vignetting (?) seen with the 50 Noct and Lux shots that Tim posted above...a bit disappointed there...I get my first test tomorrow, though I may not have my camera for 1-2 weeks yet, from the looks of it....though, gosh, I still marvel at the RX1R files and how perfect that camera is for so many purposes...

Shac

Anyone have any ideas why the test images with the 0.95 Noctilux by Marc and W.Utsch vs. those byTim seem different re. vignetting? Was there any PP for Marc's & W.Utsch's?

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member

Here is how some Olympus pen F lenses behave on the A7R (all at infinity) and without a hood.

Pen-F-test-1 by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Edit: When the front filter ring is removed, the 38/1.8 is devoid of the corner clipping (there is still light fall off at f/1.8 that evens up by f/5.6). Will check the others soon.
Thanks for posting these. Great news about the Pen F 60/1.5 on the A7R. Have you tried the 38/3.5 Macro? Hopefully my A7R will arrive on Monday...

m_driscoll

Hi, I'm Tim, I'll be your enabler today…

Joking. Don't unless you're feeling like a total impulse buy: I am not convinced yet...
Tim: Too late. You can't counsel a truly addictive camera buyer! The negative experiences of other users, also has no effect. :p About a week to my 'fix'.

Cheers, Matt

fotografz

Anyone have any ideas why the test images with the 0.95 Noctilux by Marc and W.Utsch vs. those by Tim seem different re. vignetting? Was there any PP for Marc's & W.Utsch's?
Tim's may be the pre-asph f/1.0 Noctilux version, which even vignettes on an M. Whether it does as much, more, or less, on the A7R I couldn't tell you.

Interestingly, I often add vignetting to many images, especially portraits and wedding photos. Obviously the difference is one of control, but I personally rarely correct natural vignetting if it happens ... like the way it used to with the f/1.0 Noctilux and most any wide-angle lens.

The importance or lack of importance of vignetting with wide angle lenses depends on applications and use of the lens in question.

I use a 21mm in order to correct the inevitable perspective distortions when shooting hand-held candids or environmental images. I almost never use a M camera on a tripod, and suspect I would not do so with the A7R. So, by the time corrections are done, corners and edges are cropped out anyway ... 36 meg helps keep the resolution loss reasonable.

For others, edges and corners are of paramount importance and can be a make it or break it factor.

- Marc

W.Utsch

My Noctilux is an old one (think 2nd gen.) 50/1.0. It vignettes in the outer corners from 1.0 to 2.8 - from f4 on vignetting is gone. This is quite typical for that lens and in situations when you use it wide open (indoor, night scenes, portraits with shallow DOF, etc) nothing to bother. You can lighten up the corners in LR a bit but you can't get rid of them at F 1.0 completely. The Noctilux is and was never a sharp lens at 1.0, it has then a special character and glow - from F4.0 on i use it as a general purpose lens, if it is not to heavy to carry.

Thorkil

"It's no easy times..." I hear you, thorkil. I'm thinking I'll sit this one out as well. Moving from Nex 7 to A7 never made much sense to me, but the A7R has been enticing. But I'm not sure the hyperrealism that I'm seeing from this camera suits my photographic interests.

I'm so enamored with the GR's black and white output that I'm inclined to wait a bit and see what Ricoh comes up with. Of course, I may handle the A7R in my local camera store one day soon and find myself whipping out the credit card. It would not be my first impulsive camera purchase.

John
Yes John..for my part I'm more and more convinced that a 7R just would leed to another and new frustration, mental and economic.
I do think the Ricoh GR gives me almost 90% satisfaction compared to my expectations. The Nikon D800E, gave me hugh expectation, and I dreamt of sharpness at the Hassy SWC level. But it couln't live up to that. The D3 gave me disappointments for its somehow flat looking Pictures, and its enormous bulk. But it was as effective as no one else. You could quickly turn around point it just against the sun, and fire away without any hesitation, it was always able to figure it out, and light was superb (in Matrix-setting). A splendid, effective and with a lot of forgiveness builded in(but almost too effective, which leads to taken everything for granted, and getting spoiled), workhorse inside and outside Buildings and walking in the street doing hasty hip-snaps with a 20mm with preset distance. Perfect, but the bulk(!)
But the issue with 36 Mp demands patience from the shooter, steadiness, higher speed rates, higher aperture to get the best result, unless its ok with very shallow dof (or what it looks like, I guess). And that I'm able to do when I walk with a tripod and a SWC, but otherwise, no.
Beside the GR I just need a workhorse with forgiveness, that can do high ISO's, wide shots, and be effective, so I can fire away, also when people are distracting me talking in my ear. That might be a Nikon once more, a D610 (but this time with no hugh expectations), or, if I can wait and see if Ricoh come up with a full frame GXR for my M-lenses (and high iso too, please), THAT could be wonderful.
thorkil

V

Vivek

Thanks for posting these. Great news about the Pen F 60/1.5 on the A7R. Have you tried the 38/3.5 Macro? Hopefully my A7R will arrive on Monday...
Yes, Jonathon. This is one lens that promises moire, wide open. :) For infinity, the filter has to be altered to remove the dark corners and for close ups (near 1/4X to 1/2X) the rear baffle has to go. I will do them.

In case anyone is wondering why bother with these lenses, these are more useful (closer focusing) than the Leica lenses and are as tiny (or tinier) and lighter.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Sure it is getting big, but the TSE on the 5DMKII is still much bigger - and the quality of the A7R files is fantastic !
Awww, I'd love to see some examples of that combo! How much tilt and shift is possible on the A7R, or is that restricted in some way due to the adapter design perhaps?

W.Utsch

Examples will come, right know i have no time to go out with tripod etc. and we have pretty bad weather...
Don't want to show test pics taken in my office......or out the window...

The first shots i took with the TSE and no tilt/shifts are outstanding, but this was to be expected with that lens and the large image circle.

Rawfa

What settings are people using for:
- electronic first curtain shutter
- high iso noise reduction

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I was waiting for you to go down in flames. LOL

I'm in holding pattern . Actually waiting for next year for tax reasons.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Okay. I hate ALL of you. I just cracked. collecting from WEX on Monday.
Less of a crack from where there rest of us were standing: we were behind the yellow tape with popcorn waiting for the controlled explosion. Did anyone get a photo?

tashley

Subscriber Member

PS Jono am just now uploading a rather picturesque brick wall series on the F1 Nocti and the 50mm Lux and I have to say that for a near-ish subject with plenty of detail, when viewed 1:1 on a Retina screen, the Lux has acceptable corners at F5.6 and tight ones at F8, at which aperture diffraction has done limited damage. Very nice performance and though I have done no direct comparison, my conclusion on the same lens on an M240 was that it also needed F8 to 'get there'. So I think the A7R is a very viable camera on which to use this lens.

For the Nocti, F11 is needed to get the corners very nearly as tight as the Lux at F8 and consequently the centre gets slightly more dulled by diffraction but actually, the result is great and is eminently useable. Again, across the aperture range, the conclusions are remarkably similar to those I reached when using the lens on the M240. So though my M lenses of wider angles than this are to varied extents problematic, I would use either of these and feel privileged to do so, if I wanted a nicely resolved image across the frame.

Starting here...

Status
Not open for further replies.