The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Vivek

After the problems that you have shown regarding some of the pen F lenses this is great news with the CL lenses. I have the 28, 40 (minolta and summicron), 90 mm leica, and this will be my go too set.

Paul
Paul, :thumbs: You will enjoy them! :)

fotografz

Just received my A7r yesterday. I went to the park for a few snaps.

As an aside, I had a NEX/A7 battery charged and waiting. I didn't read the manual or I would have known that you need to put the A7/A7r on the power cord and charge it up the first time. I was plagued the whole time that I was out by the Set Date/Time message. I would set the date and time and as soon as it went to sleep, or I turned it off, the message appeared again. The internal battery needs to be charged. It did not accept the date/time until the new battery was charged to 75% on the power cord.

Orange boathouse was taken with 50 Summilux ASPH, the other two with 50 Rigid Cron, all on Hawk helicoid adapter.

Lovely, natural looking color on these Cindy!

- Marc

philber

Well, on both these lenses I can see some minor colour shift, with the sky taking on a magenta cast towards the left of the picture. As it can't be seen on the right hand side, it suggests that maybe your adapter is slightly "off".

V

Vivek

Well, on both these lenses I can see some minor colour shift, with the sky taking on a magenta cast towards the left of the picture. As it can't be seen on the right hand side, it suggests that maybe your adapter is slightly "off".
Really?!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Is everyone seeing this? I'm not seeing it on my monitor.

philber

Yes, there is a slight shift of blue towards magenta on the top left corner of both n°1 and n°3 shots, as I see them. But nothing comparable on the right side.

Hi Mark,

I haven't done any direct comparative shots - I felt I had a handle on the comparison just from seeing the files and from memory, but maybe I will: I was thinking of doing the same scene with M240/35Lux FLE vs D800E with Sigma 35mm Art lens vs RX1 vs A7R with 35 Lux FLE and hopefully soon the new 35mm F2.8

My guess is that the RX1 would still win over the 35 Lux and A7R, as well as over the Sigma/Nikon combo: it is a much less tricky lens than the 35 Lux FLE and has sharper edges than the Sigma. However, the RX1, even with colour shading corrections turned on in-camera, is not immune from casts. Of course, the choice of aperture will be key too: at F2 it would be a no-contest, the RX-1 will win hands down. But at F5.6 it might be a closer call between all the candidates, colour casts aside. Overall, if the new 35mm F2.8 can't match the RX-1 lens when shot at F2.8, F4 and F5.6, with colour cast correction and sharpness across the frame at least as good at the pixel level, I will be disappointed. If, when both files are printed to say a 20" print the RX-1 file is a clear winner, I will be a bit dismayed...
Tim, you have very interesting comparison in mind - hopefully you will find time to do it.

I ordered the Sony/Zeiss 35mm f2.8 with the A7R with the expectation that I can use that combo to replace my RX1 and gain a lot more flexibility. Like you, I will be disappointed if the A7R/35mm combo doesn't hold its own against the RX1. I don't mind giving up f2.0 for the added flexibility of the A7R.

V

Vivek

I know this place well (photo wise) and am amazed with the A7R. Not only the high ISO but also the AWB works wonderfully well. Kudos to Sony!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, M Rokkor 40/2, f/2, ISO3200

V

Vivek

Sorry John, Can't do it, not untill monday for that matter. The post man managed to deliver at my neighbours, who were not at home, and sign me in as not at home:banghead:

I felt like a disapointed child waiting for it's toy. Life is a bitch sometimes. :cussing:
Temporary relief tomorrow!:D Look forward to meeting you, Michiel! :)

Hi Vivek, I send you some PM's but they don't seem to reach you :confused:

I am still planning to go to The Hague around 1. Allright?
Naturally! :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

My NEC is calibrated, too. I even looked through my LR library to see if I could see it on other shots. I appreciate you telling me, Phil. If I did have a problem, I would want to know.

Joe, I got it from DigitalRev in HK. I also have my Sony A adapter coming from them (but they shipped separately).

Thank you, Marc. I'm happy with the color, too. I think this camera will fit in nicely with my A99.

Ron Pfister

Is everyone seeing this? I'm not seeing it on my monitor.
If you look at the RGB values, it's measurable, but IMO, the subject matter does not lend itself to a firm conclusion. If you really want to know, I'd suggest shooting an evenly lit white surface with the lens OOF, and then comparing RGB values across the frame.

V

Vivek

If you really want to know, I'd suggest shooting an evenly lit white surface with the lens OOF, and then comparing RGB values across the frame.
+1

From the shadows, the direction of the light is crystal clear. :)

philber

Funny thing is, on another forum where I participate, Fred Miranda, there are a few guys who are a lot pickier than I am regarding color shift, so I find myself in your shoes, not seeing what somebody else in pointing out.
Also, I should point out that I would much prefer you to be right than I, because I have a A7R on order, and I love my Summilux 50 and really hope that it works well with it.

V

Vivek

Funny thing is, on another forum where I participate, Fred Miranda, there are a few guys who are a lot pickier than I am regarding color shift, so I find myself in your shoes, not seeing what somebody else in pointing out.
Also, I should point out that I would much prefer you to be right than I, because I have a A7R on order, and I love my Summilux 50 and really hope that it works well with it.
The question you have to ask is this (this forum or elsewhere):

Why do you make photos?

(I have seen some of those discussions and some of the folks have participated in exact same discussions and saying exactly the same thing all over again, leaving me to conclude that they do not much photography but revel in this type of discussions.)

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate useful suggestions and discussions. But to go from these shots from Cindy to an off centered adapter is a bit of a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.