The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dierk

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Was asked to show the TSE 24/3.5 II on the A7R.
Here some shots from my living room (would not show these but it is to bad weather here - so as test shots)
I tried my 17mm TS-E today, but the Metabones smart adapter shows severe vignetting!!
I am very disappointed :-((

What adapter did you use?
------------ sorry, I just saw it, smart adapter III
but I am afraid, that the wide 17mm gives the problems?

I tested all my wide lenses including Zeiss Hologon (don't do it!!!)
You find the results in my flickr
A7R testimages with wide angle lenses - a set on Flickr

thanks
dierk

philber

Well, what I see is what I see, and I have to call it that way. If there is a color cast on one corner of her shots with two different lenses, I see no other possible than the adapter, unless you want to suggest that the camera mount causes lens decentering. Any suggestions?
As to why I make photos, I don't see the connection to the point under discussion. The answer being, in my case, because I find that a very enjoyable hobby, which I share with many friends across multiple forums, and in print as well.

V

Vivek

I tried my 17mm TS-E today, but the Metabones smart adapter shows severe vignetting!!

thanks
dierk
Dierk, Thanks for the warning! Have you used the Hologon on your NEX'?

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for posting these results, Dierk! I'm a bit puzzled by the issue you report with the Metabones Smart Adapter. Are you sure your adapter is a Mk III? The reason I'm wondering is that the vignetting in your test image is circular, but the Mk III adapter has a quasi-rectangular optical path.

Edit: If this image shows your adapter, it's not a Mk III. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dierktopp/11015676063/sizes/l/in/set-72157637947047035/

The Mk III looks like this: http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM3

V

Vivek

Well, what I see is what I see, and I have to call it that way. If there is a color cast on one corner of her shots with two different lenses, I see no other possible than the adapter, unless you want to suggest that the camera mount causes lens decentering. Any suggestions?
As to why I make photos, I don't see the connection to the point under discussion. The answer being, in my case, because I find that a very enjoyable hobby, which I share with many friends across multiple forums, and in print as well.
First off, I appreciate your photo contributions here whatever may be your compulsions with gear and their performances. There are way too many variables (you ignored Ron's post completely). My suggestion:I don't know the cause of an uncertain problem which may or may not exist. :)

k-hawinkler

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your extensive work and terrific images.
If I may ask so, how do you rank your lenses on the A7R?

Which ones are the winners?
Which ones are okay?
Which ones have corner smearing issues?

Thanks again.

V

Vivek

Many thanks for posting these results, Dierk! I'm a bit puzzled by the issue you report with the Metabones Smart Adapter. Are you sure your adapter is a Mk III? The reason I'm wondering is that the vignetting in your test image is circular, but the Mk III adapter has a quasi-rectangular optical path.

Edit: If this image shows your adapter, it's not a Mk III. All sizes | A7R with Canon 17mm TS-E tilt/shift | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Mk III looks like this: Metabones®
Well spotted! :)

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your extensive work and terrific images.
If I may ask so, how do you rank your lenses on the A7R?

Which ones are the winners?
Which ones are okay?
Which ones have corner smearing issues?

Thanks again.
Hi K-H,

I appreciate your kind words and thank you for it. :)

Like many, we all have gone through several systems, mounts etc over the years. I am partial to lenses (not because of any monetary values, just fascinated with lenses, designs and such) so, the question would be how good the A7R is for many of my favorite lenses ?

This is not intended as some evasive reply. Just a fact.

Does anyone own a Micro Tamron 70/5.6 lens? I like it on the A7R.

Ditto for an S-Planar 60/4.

The list goes on endlessly. :D

k-hawinkler

Hi K-H,

Like many, we all have gone through several systems, mounts etc over the years. I am partial to lenses (not because of any monetary values, just fascinated with lenses, designs and such) so, the question would be how good the A7R is for many of my favorite lenses ?

Thanks Vivek, I understand and share your passion although I am fairly new to this game. Though I have acquired mostly Leica and Nikkor FF lenses I am game to get also other types.

Thanks again.

jonoslack

Well. I see it on Cindy's shots too (even on my ipad) whether it's significant is moot.

However, I've spent many many hours examining colour shifts, from early days working with Kodak on the 14n (I think it was the first full frame digital camera), and more recently with Leica.

The whole point and problem is that they aren't symmetrical (and therefore there is no reason to suspect Cindy's adapter).

Looking at Tim Ashley's recent white wall shots shows how variable the colour shift can be, even between apertures on the same lens.

It was inevitable that the A7r would show this, the only way to deal with it is through lens specific firmware corrections (and even then it's really difficult to get right), and the A7r has no way of knowing which lens is selected!

I think that this camera is a splendid step forwards, but if you are going to use 3rd party lenses on it then you WILL get colour shifts, only you can decide where your line of acceptability is. I think Cindy's shots are just fine.

Annna T

thanks
dierk
Can you tell more about the Zeiss Hologon results : did you get smeared corners ? Magenta shift ? Or does it stick too deeply into the body ? I went to your Flickr account but didn't find picture taken by the Hologon & A7r (the ones you took with the M are beautiful) :
I ask because I do still own one in its original Contax G mount. I read that you had a modified one fitting a Leica M : where did you get the modification, if I may ask ?
TIA for your answer.

philber

Well. I see it on Cindy's shots too (even on my ipad) whether it's significant is moot.
I think that this camera is a splendid step forwards, but if you are going to use 3rd party lenses on it then you WILL get colour shifts, only you can decide where your line of acceptability is. I think Cindy's shots are just fine.
Thanks Jono for the confirmation. I was beginning to doubt my own eyes.
I agree completely with your position. I too think Cindy's shots are not wasted by the color shift. But, this being the very beginnings of the A7, there is still a lot to be learned and shared about this camera's performance with third-party lenses, hence my comment.

Knorp

Meet the Asahi Noctilax ...

| asahi smc pentax-a 1:1.2 50mm |

I'm very excited using this lens on a full frame sensor for the first time.
Hopefully I'll soon find better shooting opportunities.

Kind regards.

fotografz

Hi K-H,

IMO, the "lens first" philosophy IS the essence of it all.

How good is a camera when coupled with favorite lenses? How many favorite lenses need to work to make the camera worth it?

It is a creative decision as much or more than a gear centric one.

- Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.