The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

philber

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Well, I both agree and I don't, Marc. While I would sign my name to everything you say, I would also like to point out that a number of systems show that the best results for a given class of equipment, especially smaller gear, can only be achieved with lenses and cameras designed together. Such is the case for Sony RX-1, Sigma DP 1-2-3, Fuji X-100. You can argue that the same is true for the Leica M and its in-camera processing. And lastly, Sony A7R shows early signs that it gives best results with lenses designed for it.
So, yes, lenses do rule. But sometimes one needs to buy the camera attached to it...

k-hawinkler

Well I am easy. I am just looking for camera/lens combinations that work well together and support my artistic intent! How is that as a starting point?

An example would be D800E and Noct Nikkor 58/1.2.
Excellent for shallow DOF shots with specular highlights.

Another example would be M9 or A7R with WATE.

W.Utsch

I tried my 17mm TS-E today, but the Metabones smart adapter shows severe vignetting!!
I am very disappointed :-((

What adapter did you use?
------------ sorry, I just saw it, smart adapter III
but I am afraid, that the wide 17mm gives the problems?

I tested all my wide lenses including Zeiss Hologon (don't do it!!!)
You find the results in my flickr
A7R testimages with wide angle lenses - a set on Flickr

thanks
dierk
Hi Dierk,

as you can see on the pics, there is no vignetting with the 24 TSE and the Metabones Smart III adapter. Just a little bit - shoot wide open with tilt and shift.

Tried all of my Canon L lenses with the MB Smart III and could not find any problems with the adapter.
Lenses i used: 16-35 II, 24/105, 80-200/4, 50/1.4 and the TSE 24 II

As i don't have the 17 TSE i can't help with this lens.

Greetings from HD to HH

A few shots with the WATE, the only M wide that seems to work reasonably well for me on the A7r even in the corners.
All other M lens I have tried from 21mm to 28mm suffer of color shift and smearing at the edges.
I will try again as soon as I get a better adapter but I do not have much hope.

Michiel Schierbeek

Well, I both agree and I don't, Marc. While I would sign my name to everything you say, I would also like to point out that a number of systems show that the best results for a given class of equipment, especially smaller gear, can only be achieved with lenses and cameras designed together. Such is the case for Sony RX-1, Sigma DP 1-2-3, Fuji X-100. You can argue that the same is true for the Leica M and its in-camera processing. And lastly, Sony A7R shows early signs that it gives best results with lenses designed for it.
So, yes, lenses do rule. But sometimes one needs to buy the camera attached to it...
I, and I believe you too, have enough confidence in the A7r, to buy one at forehand. I am sure I will find - and there will be made enough lenses for it - that can handle the files well.

As said, it is in many cases also an artistic decision of ones preferences, if certain lenses work well or good enough for you.
For example I found the Zeiss Biogon 25 on the NEX-7 far more useable, especially close by, then people made me believe it was.

Also my main impulse to want one was FF and bigger prints.

fotografz

Actually no disagreement. It really depends on a couple of factors.

Is this a person's primary or only camera? How much importance is a "system" to any specific person? Or, is it a path to creatively use an array of favored lenses without 20 different cameras :)

For me it is seen as: 1) supplementary to my A99 (like it also seems for Cindy Flood) ... and 2) a color companion to my Leica M Monochrome for use with a few key favored M lenses.

That it may give best results with lenses designed specifically for it is a bit of a moot point in that context. The chance that there will be a Zeiss 50/0.95 for this camera is less than zero. My test of the Leica M50/0.95 already confirms it works without issue ... beyond my wildest hopes actually.

For my use, the planed native 24-70/4 zoom is to slow, as is the 35/2.8. Okay for many, but not for me. Whether I'd drop another $1,000 on an AF 55/1.8 when I already have the AF ZA50/1.4 and LAEA4 SLT adapter is a question yet to be answered ... the ZA 50/1.4 REALLY fast focusing on the A7R as it stands, and the standard Sony A50/1.4 is quite good and is smaller than the new FE-55/1.8 ... so it is just a question of what the FE-55/1.8 may bring to the party in terms of IQ over the ZA plus the added adapter.

I'm testing a Leica M240 right now ... which can take all my M lenses. I've disliked the color from this camera from the start. While some have seemed to process their way out of the issue, I've discovered the root of MY color issue is an anemic IR filter ... but that is a separate subject. I will say that aside from MY color issue, the M240 is one of the finest cameras I've laid hands on, bar none. But that is sort of like saying, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" :eek:

- Marc

V

Vivek

But that is sort of like saying, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" :eek:

- Marc
:ROTFL:

I don't need to justify my purchase or the use of an A7R. I wanted it, bought it and will use it as I fit. If a bunch of folks cultivated by a software developer has issues with colors and such, it is their problem. I am not buying DxR package or any such thing. :grin:

FWIW, the A7R sensor has been stripped off of the Bayer already (different camera). I would like to use a monochrome A7R one day (soon). Pretty versatile beast.

V

Vivek

Meet the Asahi Noctilax ...

| asahi smc pentax-a 1:1.2 50mm |

I'm very excited using this lens on a full frame sensor for the first time.
Hopefully I'll soon find better shooting opportunities.

Kind regards.
The colors are all over the place, Bart. :D

Looking forward to more.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Hey everybody.
I posted some stuff over at FredMiranda but most of the threads there are going OT big time...

I found this thread and thought I would share some informations about my experience with the A7 / A7R:

My conclusions so far:

Corner smearing is the same with the A7 and A7R.
Colour cast ist much higher on the A7R!
Chromatic Aberations are higher on the A7R !

Tested this on both (production) cams with an

Leica Elmar-M 24mm f3.8
Contax G 28mm 2.8
Contax G 35mm 2.0
Leica Summilux Asph 35mm 1.4 non-fle
and longer lenses.
--

Leica Elmar-M 24mm 3.8 Asph is
usable on the A7 (minor smearing / no colour cast) and
not so usable (for me) (minor smearing and a lot colour cast) on the A7R.
--

The Kitlens 28-70 is not stellar but usable and sometimes outperforms adapted lenses.
--

Cant see too much difference in the files of the A7 / A7R.
The shot with the same settings and the same lens revealed to me... The A7R files are bigger ;-)
--

A7 and

Sony E-Mount 16mm:
Same usability as on a crop-sensor Nex.

Leica 24mm f3,8 Asph
Really nice performance for a UWA-Lens
Very minor to no colour cast and minor smearing @ 3,8
More or less gone @ 5,6

Contax G 28mm
A bit of colour cast but smearing wide open
Much better @ 5,6 but still not that nice...

Contax G 35mm
No colour cast and minor smearing wide open
perfect at 5,6

Contax G 45mm
No colour cast and a tiny bit of smearing wide open
perfect at 5,6

Contax G 90mm
No colour cast and no smearing wide open
the same @ 5,6

Hope this is helpful :)

Here are some pics taken with the A7 and the Contax G 45mm f2

mbroomfield

I tried my 17mm TS-E today, but the Metabones smart adapter shows severe vignetting!!
I am very disappointed :-((

What adapter did you use?
------------ sorry, I just saw it, smart adapter III
but I am afraid, that the wide 17mm gives the problems?

I tested all my wide lenses including Zeiss Hologon (don't do it!!!)
You find the results in my flickr
A7R testimages with wide angle lenses - a set on Flickr

thanks
dierk
Hi dierk, I'm having trouble understanding why one shot using the 17mm TSE is very good
A7R with Canon 17mm TS-E tilt/shift and stacked adapters | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
and this one has vignetting on all corners
A7R with Canon 17mm TS-E tilt/shift and Metabones smart adapter | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In your shot of the lens you are showing stacked adapters, E-M + M-EF not Metabones Smart adapter III, so is the vignetting just due to the adapters?

Thanks

jonoslack

Hey everybody.
I posted some stuff over at FredMiranda but most of the threads there are going OT big time...

Hope this is helpful :)/QUOTE]

Thank you. Extremely helpful. Especially interesting is the 24 elmar (a lovely lens). How did the 35 lux perform?

.......... And a big welcome, this is a civilised place! (Well, usually!)

All the best

jonoslack

A few shots with the WATE, the only M wide that seems to work reasonably well for me on the A7r even in the corners.
All other M lens I have tried from 21mm to 28mm suffer of color shift and smearing at the edges.
I will try again as soon as I get a better adapter but I do not have much hope.
Thank you Ario. Lovely family shot with the 35 'lux as well. What's your verdict on this lens?

All the best

W.Utsch

Leica Elmarit M 21/2.8 (very old) on A7R:

Some sort of the infamous brick wall

DSC04200_ff.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Magenta cast and vingetting removed in LR5 with flat field plugin (thats pretty easy).
F11, 1/60, ISO 250

This lens performs on the A7R like it does on the M9 (cast removed in cam).
For more or less sharp corners you have to stop down and they don't get better with the M9. I think, so far from perfect, it is still usable.

We should remember that a lot of Leica glass makes and made no wonders on film or full frame digital either. You have to stop down! And some corners did never get really sharp - and some corners don't need to get sharp anyhow.

We can be happy, that we can adapt almost every lens to the Sonys but should not expect that every result is fabulous. There is no perfect lens and some of the older lenses with stellar reputation are not as good as there reputation is.
The camera itself is not to blame.

algrove

Hello Fotoingo

Can you kindly tell us which adapter you used for the Contax G lenses? Thanks.

I received the Techart one (no a7r as yet), but cannot mount lenses easily on adapter. Maybe it needs some power to it since it is supposed to be an auto focus adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.