The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Thank you Ario. Lovely family shot with the 35 'lux as well. What's your verdict on this lens?

All the best

Jono, not sure if you saw that I posted a load of 35 Lux FLE test shots… my feeling was that it was a 'not quite' due to colour cast issues, and that F5.6 for a lazy eye is just about OK but that diffraction is too notable above that to feel that one is getting value for the sharper edges...

Thank you Ario. Lovely family shot with the 35 'lux as well. What's your verdict on this lens?

All the best
Jono,
The Summilux 54 FLE is a lovely lens, unfortunately I tend to prefer the 50 mm as focal length and therefore I am not using it as much as it deserves.
Also on the Sony A7r it performs beautifully, as far as I have seen insofar.

W.Utsch

@rayyen:
That's a fantastic "product photo"!!
Beautiful combo, you should offer it to Sony:)
BTW, love the red hand-strap - what is it??

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Hey everybody.
I posted some stuff over at FredMiranda but most of the threads there are going OT big time...

Hope this is helpful :)/QUOTE]

Thank you. Extremely helpful. Especially interesting is the 24 elmar (a lovely lens). How did the 35 lux perform?

.......... And a big welcome, this is a civilised place! (Well, usually!)

All the best
Thank you. I have a half time test in 2 days, of some training I do right now, so not too much time right now to post.

Will come back next week ;-)

Hello Fotoingo

Can you kindly tell us which adapter you used for the Contax G lenses? Thanks.

I received the Techart one (no a7r as yet), but cannot mount lenses easily on adapter. Maybe it needs some power to it since it is supposed to be an auto focus adapter.
Hey !
I dont own an AF-Adapter so I use a "Kipon" one from ebay.

Best regards,

Ingo

jonoslack

Jono, not sure if you saw that I posted a load of 35 Lux FLE test shots… my feeling was that it was a 'not quite' due to colour cast issues, and that F5.6 for a lazy eye is just about OK but that diffraction is too notable above that to feel that one is getting value for the sharper edges...
Hi Tim
I did indeed see and examine your results.......... But I know you aren't fond of the lens anyway, so I was wondering what Ario thought.

Annna T

Hey everybody.

(...)
My conclusions so far:

Corner smearing is the same with the A7 and A7R.
Colour cast ist much higher on the A7R!
Chromatic Aberations are higher on the A7R !

(...)

A7 and

Contax G 28mm
A bit of colour cast but smearing wide open
Much better @ 5,6 but still not that nice...

Contax G 35mm
No colour cast and minor smearing wide open
perfect at 5,6

Contax G 45mm
No colour cast and a tiny bit of smearing wide open
perfect at 5,6

Contax G 90mm
No colour cast and no smearing wide open
the same @ 5,6

Hope this is helpful :)
It is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm particularly interested by your tests with the Contax G lenses. Since I own the 16mm, the 21mm, the 28mm, the 45mm and the 90mm.

I know the 16mm will block the shutter on the A7s, too bad. I wonder what the 21mm will produce, whether it will be much worse than the 28mm or not.

For those Zeiss lenses, would you get the A7 or the A7r ? I'm a little reticent to the size of the A7r files. But on the other hand, the 45mm and 90mm should shine on the A7r..

philber

There are some fine examples with G45 on A7R. My guess is that G90 will require some caution, because it is a reavealing lens and A7R an unforgiving camera, so good shooting technique is required.

V

Vivek

Well, Mr. Schierbeek is on his way back home. I tried his FE 35/2.8 briefly. AF is very fast in indoors (not very bright light) as well. Tomorrow he will have his A7R and will post pics from it.

The Contax 18/4 is a fabulous lens on the A7R. He made several pics with it and perhaps we will get to see some samples soon.

Fantastic person! :thumbs:

Annna T

There are some fine examples with G45 on A7R. My guess is that G90 will require some caution, because it is a reavealing lens and A7R an unforgiving camera, so good shooting technique is required.
MMmm what do you mean exactly ? That one need very steady hands or a very fast speed ? Or do you mean that it would be tricky to focus correctly ?

Do you think that the. A7 would be more forgiving ?

V

Vivek

I have that lens. The adapter (Metabones) that came with it makes the focusing quite an experience. It is easy to work with (if one gets used to the adapter) and is very sharp by f/5.6. It is a bit too sharp and the boket isn't like a classic Sonnar.

Things that people keep forgetting is that the A7R is more forgiving than even the NEX-6, is far better constructed than any NEX, heavier and is easier to hold more securely.

philber

MMmm what do you mean exactly ? That one need very steady hands or a very fast speed ? Or do you mean that it would be tricky to focus correctly ?

Do you think that the. A7 would be more forgiving ?
Well, 36Mp of resolution is going to show a lot of detail, and 100% magnification will be more than on A7, so, yes, it will be more demanding. You won't get away with almost-good focus, or almost-stable handling, or almost-good lenses.
Similarly, many people complained about Nikon D800 early on, and now much less so. What needs to be done to get sharp pics from that body has pretty well become a fact of life. The same happened with NEX 7, and it took a while, and I expect a similar learning curve with the A7R.
So, why single out the G90? Because a longer lens needs more stability, and because focusing the Gs (I have a Kipon) isn't as smooth and delicate as a Leica M or Zeiss ZM.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

It is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm particularly interested by your tests with the Contax G lenses. Since I own the 16mm, the 21mm, the 28mm, the 45mm and the 90mm.

I know the 16mm will block the shutter on the A7s, too bad. I wonder what the 21mm will produce, whether it will be much worse than the 28mm or not.

For those Zeiss lenses, would you get the A7 or the A7r ? I'm a little reticent to the size of the A7r files. But on the other hand, the 45mm and 90mm should shine on the A7r..
Hey,
I don't own the 21mm so I can just guess.
Normally the 21 was always the same as the 28 or worse so I have no hope for using it on either A7s.

My opinion on A7 vs A7R in general :
Get the A7.
It is
cheaper
has faster flash sync
more fps
build feels the same as the A7R
same weight as A7R
picture quality is the same (even though the A7R has more pixels)
usability is better with RF lenses. (much less hassle with magenta cast)
smearing seems to be the same with both A7s
AF is a tiny bit faster
smaller file sizes

I will keep my A7 and my friend with the A7R is about to send it back and getting a A7 too.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Some more with the A7 and the Contax G 45mm.

Hopefully will have some time after Wednesday to shoot some more pictures with A7R and the 35 and 50 Summilux Asp non fle...

anGy

First tests with the Canon 24mm T/S mkII lens.
I much prefer the overall look of the Sony compared to Nikon D800, colors, mid tones are a lot more in my taste.
But not sure to like what I see at pixel level. Some soft micro contrast mixed with jaggies from LR 5. Really not impressive. Don't know how much of this is related to the Canon lens (that is supposed to be very good) but I suspect LR raw conversion not being optimized at all yet for the Sony files. Image data converter from Sony gives better results at pixel level for what I have seen so far. But these really are 1st tests.
Did anybody else made the same observation ?
(Unfortunately I have no other lens yet to eliminate that variable).

Full image:

Crop 100% from LR5 with very conservative sharpness parameters (31/0,7/40/20) (clarity + 10) no photoshop

See jagged edges on the background colums and on the red plastic thing (focus on that red piece @f8 on tripod using live view)

Now with Sony IDC:

Sharpness settings are more pushed but less jagged edges are visible.

Michiel Schierbeek

Back home after a pleasant (Photo) visit at Senor Iyer.
So nice to have a preview with his new A7r. Couldn't wait until tomorrow. :)

Nice camera! Here are some snaps with 2 C/Y Zeiss lenses taken on a walk with Vivek. Look @ the ISO figures. Couldn't do it with the NEX-7.

Will be continued tomorrow if the postman can find the right door. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.