The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip_pj

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Michiel, on downsize and sharpening, you might heed Jeff Schewe for an experiment...he opines that capture sharpening is key, if you are not to 'leave IQ on the table'. Once done, convert and downsize in 50% with no sharpening along the way, this will go close to preserving the image competely. You can add a duplicate layer on final size image and use a little Smart Sharpen and vary opacity by inspection. Not many images need it, but tastes vary. Tim Ashley who may post here has some good starter settings for the sensor off the D800e, I believe. All top lenses are similar.

On the 'moire' I would not rule out anything...but downsize technique will effect patterned data at times and jpegs are a bastard. I would steer well clear of IDC and await the final release of ACR/LR for the cameras. Very few users have had much obvious moire even when looking hard for it - you know, some people see it as a challenge worth pursuing in earnest.

m_driscoll

Hi Ashwin
Fun while it lasted, but mine is now packed up and ready go to back to WEX (all organised).

I just realised that there wasn't a situation where I'd pick it over either the M(240) or the E-M1 to get me better images . . . so it was silly to keep it. (I've started a separate thread about it if you're really interested).

:cry: I did love it though :cry:

Tim Ashley Told Me It wasn't for me - but I didn't listen!
Jono: Is this a personal record for shortest ownership period? :D

Cheers, Matt

tashley

Subscriber Member

On moire, sharpening and sizing:

This is Juju and voodoo territory and here is mine, though I must say that I think IDC is crud and am therefore stuck with LR RC5.3 until Adobe gets this right, and have not tried the 'via DNG' route'. I am also a Schewe acolyte and have watched a lot of his videos and read at least one of his book.

* Sharpen to around 60/0.7/70/20 immediately after capture, and do whatever other PP you want but not moire brush
* Downsize in increments ONLY of 50% or 25% etc (i.e. half the length, quarter the length) and export to TIFF
* re-import the TIFF and use your moire brush then as you export to whatever JPEG size (same as or smaller than the tiff dimensions but otherwise freeform) add your desired output sharpening
* Be aware that some moire is caused by interactions between the subject's image lines and the pixel lines of the display itself and will therefore appear and disappear as you re-size on screen. Ain't nothing you can do about that, unless you make a good old fashioned print! But it does explain why some people see it and others don't...

Michiel Schierbeek

Vivek, Michiel, This is the best I can do. http://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Oth...mage/i-HMz22nV/0/O/_DSC0511_Grab_1456x967.jpg

Interesting. It breaks all the image developing software except the display App Preview.
So I used IDC, then OUTPUT as TIFF. Preview can read it now.
Zoom out a bit! Use Grab. Voila.

If I try to display the reduced jpg on getdpi.com it gets messed up again.
But you can inspect the jpg on smugmug.

Vivek, that is an incredible sharp shot of a very fine detail!
Congrats! Your lens is a winner on your A7R! :salute:
You just need to print large! :grin:

Here is a smaller version.

Well done K-H:thumbs:

Michiel Schierbeek

On moire, sharpening and sizing:

* Be aware that some moire is caused by interactions between the subject's image lines and the pixel lines of the display itself and will therefore appear and disappear as you re-size on screen. Ain't nothing you can do about that, unless you make a good old fashioned print! But it does explain why some people see it and others don't...
Thank you Tim for this inside!

This is exactly what I was thinking when I wake up this morning (one of my rare clear moments :rolleyes:). I remembered wearing the wrong jacket appearing on television wearing a blocked colber. Terrible!

And that you probably would not see it on print.

BTW In the case of printing; do you use the same order of sharpening?
I have been making a photobook lately and left the sharpening on default in ACR and did the sharpening all in the exported TIFF file in PS using the Focal Blade plug in. Also for big prints actually. Works out really well.
What do you think?

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, on downsize and sharpening, you might heed Jeff Schewe for an experiment...he opines that capture sharpening is key, if you are not to 'leave IQ on the table'. Once done, convert and downsize in 50% with no sharpening along the way, this will go close to preserving the image competely. You can add a duplicate layer on final size image and use a little Smart Sharpen and vary opacity by inspection. Not many images need it, but tastes vary. Tim Ashley who may post here has some good starter settings for the sensor off the D800e, I believe. All top lenses are similar.

On the 'moire' I would not rule out anything...but downsize technique will effect patterned data at times and jpegs are a bastard. I would steer well clear of IDC and await the final release of ACR/LR for the cameras. Very few users have had much obvious moire even when looking hard for it - you know, some people see it as a challenge worth pursuing in earnest.
Thank you Philip.

I will order Jack Shewe's book - The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing -, thanks for the tip!
I love to learn, preferably the things I want to learn.:)

tashley

Subscriber Member

Michiel,

For output sharpening, I personally tend to add no more when exporting to JPEG for web viewing because even though it can look nice, some people always start saying it is over-sharpened: the problem is that you are not certifying the physical output size even if you choose specific pixel dimensions because monitor resolutions now vary between 72 and 220 PPI, even though most are still around 100. Ming Thein adds a lot of sharpening and clarity as far as I can tell, and the images on his site always have tremendous presence but he is a braver man than I am.

For output, LR is quite good but you have to test it quite specifically for the actual size and paper you are printing to. I print nearly all my work onto Hahnemuhle German Etching and my default print size if around 21" on the long side. For that I usually use "Standard and Matte". But for the occasional much larger print on Canson Platine or similar, I make tests because it seems to vary per image quite a bit. A book would be tough because there are so many different kinds of image so I would guess, and go for Glossy Standard but for some images I might go for Glossy Low. But I have to say that whenever images of mine appear in books commercially, I provide the image as processed with my usual input sharpening and leave the output sharpening to the printer, and have yet to see a disaster...

jonoslack

Jono: Is this a personal record for shortest ownership period? :D

Cheers, Matt
Hi Matt
I think it is - I'm not in the habit of returning things unless they're broken, and this isn't broken. Just not for me.

No regrets though - something of a liberation :)

all the best

f6cvalkyrie

Thank you Philip.

I will order Jack Shewe's book - The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing -, thanks for the tip!
I love to learn, preferably the things I want to learn.:)
Hi, Michiel,

this book is available as an e-book from here :

Digital Print, The: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing | Peachpit

and you can get some discounts too...
I have just downloaded it, piece of cake, but now have to read it.
That will be for the Christmas Holidays ... :D

C U,
Rafael

Hannu

Got my A7 today. Is there some problem in Camere because focus magnification does not work in manual lenses. Release w/o lens setup is On. Camera gives erros message "lens is not attached ....a. s.o) I tried with several adapters. Should I sent it to sercive. My phone was already in sercive five weeks so this is not so unfamiliar.

V

Vivek

Got my A7 today. Is there some problem in Camere because focus magnification does not work in manual lenses. Release w/o lens setup is On. Camera gives erros message "lens is not attached ....a. s.o) I tried with several adapters. Should I sent it to sercive. My phone was already in sercive five weeks so this is not so unfamiliar.
You are pushing the wrong button! :)

It is the C1 button. First press shows the rectangle and another press magnification at 7.2X and yet another push, 14.4X.

The C2 button you have been pushing (like a NEX) is to magnify the images captured.

(The camera manual though bulky is actually useful)

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Here are some pics from the A7 and the Elmar-M Asph 24mm + Macro-Elmar-M 90mm F4 Collaps.

:)

Hannu

Vivek! Many thanks for your advice.
So works magnification. My wife often criticizes me for not reading manuals after getting new toys. She is right, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.