The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

carstenw

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Boke shot. FE35 wide open, A7. This was taken just after I picked up the charger/extra battery which I had forgotten in the store the day before. Sony Center Berlin.

jlm

Workshop Member

got a moment to play; shot with the 35mm at f2.8, a7r, tripod, about a 6 sec exposure, couldn't figure out how to use the shutter timer, had to finger press it, very shallow dof. i so 320, about 18" subject distance, mostly lit by vacuum tubes
a hi-fi toy ;)

new shot, f5.6, found out how to use timer, 13/10 sec (whatever that means), iso 320

Last edited:

W.Utsch

@ Thorkil

Regarding the Elmarit M 21:

Mine is a pretty old version (about 30 Years??). Yes, it is usable on the A7R but don't expect wonders with this lens. Vignetting and magenta color shift is quite strong in the corners. The raw pic ooc looks pretty bad before correction. That is done in LR with the flat field plugin pretty easy.
To get some sharpness in the outer corners you have to use F8 or F11, but that's normal with that old lens. I had to use the same F-stops on my M8 and i don't think that's due to the infamous corner smearing. Even stopped down the sharpness in the corners is not stellar but from the middle to 2/3 of the frame it is very good.
For general photography with some work in PP the lens will be OK.

Thorkil

@ Thorkil

Regarding the Elmarit M 21:

Mine is a pretty old version (about 30 Years??). Yes, it is usable on the A7R but don't expect wonders with this lens. Vignetting and magenta color shift is quite strong in the corners. The raw pic ooc looks pretty bad before correction. That is done in LR with the flat field plugin pretty easy.
To get some sharpness in the outer corners you have to use F8 or F11, but that's normal with that old lens. I had to use the same F-stops on my M8 and i don't think that's due to the infamous corner smearing. Even stopped down the sharpness in the corners is not stellar but from the middle to 2/3 of the frame it is very good.
For general photography with some work in PP the lens will be OK.
Thanks!
hhmmm, doesn't sound that good! Mine is Asph. bought 1997.
Best solution for wides would probably be a Nikkor 14-24, according to the splendid samples from cameralab, but its a monster.
thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

If you like smoked eel, go to this pimped boat and you'll be happy.

No sharpness problems with this lens even when shot @ 640 ISO by accident.

Thorkil

Looks really great Michael! but not wide enough in workingsituations unfortunatly
thorkil

W.Utsch

Thorkil, the Nikon would be way to big for me. As is my canon 16-35 2.8 II, not a sharpness wonder anyhow. The WATE locks very good- but too expensive.
As I am more using normal lenses (24 to 75) I will be using the 21 Elmarit of and wait for the 24-70 ZE.

Thorkil

Yes you are right, I was just thinking of a expensive solution having good nikkor lenses, and having a D610 for the rough no-brain Work and A7R for the excuisite Work. But yes perhaps one should wait, buy the 24-70 and wait to see if they come up with a good wide zoom. AF would sometimes be nice too.
Perhaps my Nikkor 20/2.8 would act better than the 21Elmarit, and if wider was needed then a cheap Nikkor-mount 14Samyang could do the job until better shows up.
thorkil

V

Vivek

Oké, scientificly it can not be, but I seem to remember better files, but as I said it is very hard with the posted subjects to check sharpness in that jungle of branches.

Well here is one with the NEX-7, more sun and closer by, but crisper.
The second one, less light and a little farther away but it looks like nothing really comes in focus :confused:

Not very scientific testing but my memory serves me well.
A matter of contrast (and contrasty light). Use of ND filter would help out under gloomy skies.

Ron Pfister

the second one looks to suffer from a little camera shake... or perhaps mirror slap vibrations?
That's what it looks like to me, too. Michiel, what you say is definitely the case in terms of the appearance of the two images. I would be very interested in seeing a side-by-side comparison with this lens and the same adapter on the A7R and the NEX-7, using a tripod.

V

Vivek

Old timer, CZJ Biotar 75/1.5 is just superb on the A7R! :) The balance is just right and it is a light weight and compact lens. For the lack of better (light) and subjects, here is a snap showing the "swirly bokeh".

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, CZJ Biotar 75/1.5, f/1.5, 1/200s, ISO400

V

Vivek

Another (not so) old timer Nikon 28/2.8. This is a lens with the CRC feature (aka "floating elements" "FLE", etc) allowing close focus (20cm) without major distortion problems.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Nikkor 28/2.8 AiS, f/3.5, ISO4000, 1/125s

anGy

Still playing with the Zeiss Sonnar 50mm & A7r.
F4,0 at least for good center sharpness (to my taste) but nice overall look.
Still have to learn not to kill it in post-prod...

V

Vivek

I was playing around with a few other Nikon mount lenses today. One pleasant thing to note was the behaviour of the UV-Nikkor 105/4.5. At 1:2 (it is a micro nikkor), there are no corner problems. This is key since the shallow camera mount plus the deeply recessed (farther way from the sensor) rear of the UV-Nikkor at 1:2 made me a wonder about this a bit, earlier. Yeah, the lens is a star and it makes the A7R sensor shine. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

You folks are really good have yet to see a cat photo. We are moving up in the world. LOL

m_driscoll

Second day with camera; first day out of the house. Thames River and London Eye from Radio at the top of the ME Hotel, London. A7 with "kit" zoom (only camera that came into my camera store last Friday). I quite like it!

Cheers, Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.