The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorkil

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

There is a bit of wind here in Berlin, more than usual, but the power of the storm seems to have passed north of us.

Held og lykke med træet!
:) En dansker i Berlin, formoder jeg (a dane in Berlin, I presume)
ja, tak, træet holdt (Thanks...the three kept upright)
:)
thorkil

W.Utsch

Some more with the R 180/3.4, handheld.
The first one is a water measuring station in the Rhein river.
The second with the sun in face an old abattoir house. No CA removal in PP and very good shadows.

W.Utsch

Ron, we should remember that the LR conversion is still in beta. If you use the (bad) Sony software or Irrident Developer there are no jaggies at all in the pics. And even in LR, are there really jaggies?? IMO it is hard to tell. I won't subscribe to LC website and have strong doubts that he is right on that matter.

V

Vivek

I agree with Werner.

The link from FM started a while back, even before anyone could get hold of an A7/7R?

LC site and subscription, good luck! :LOL:

Based on this "we" should petition Sony? :confused:

I would rather join the "why I am not keeping the A7R thread" right here, and promote the virtues of ....oh, sorry for the OT, getting carried away. :eek:

fotografz

re: Fun With Sony _____

No offense but the discussions on the new Sonys are getting a bit ponderous, so I decided (I am a nobody with no authority) to bore you guys with some photos that I took this past Friday night. The Professor Marc W.:lecture: gave me some pointers on how to drag the shutter because he knows how much I hate flash. Not sure I did him proud with these non Pulitzer winning photos but I am not Uncle Bob with a fancy camera pushing his way in front of everyone for the best shot. Shot with the a900, 35/2 purchased from Show Performance several months ago, and the dedicated Sony flash for the a900.

Wresting1 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Wrestling2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr
:thumbs:

- Marc

Michiel Schierbeek

The Sony software develops the RAW's fine but the software is very limited and slo-o-o-o-ooow.
If I have to compare it to the Sigma SPP software then Sigma deserves a :thumbup: although it is kind of slow as well.

V

Vivek

Close but no cigar! :(

Close but.. by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony A7R, Samyang Reflex 300/6.3, ISO2000, 1/200s

This is perhaps the finest Cat lens I have ever used! Simply a superb lens! Contrast is unusually high (gloomy day here) for such a lens and no color fringing problems at all. Fairly sharp. A shame that it falls short. Fantastic fit on the A7R (size/weight)!

Knorp

Due to the weather not so much fun here: fooled around with my R100 and Panagor Auto Macro Converter ... :eek:

B&H Ad as seen on top of the screen.

Part of an obsolete Dutch 50 guilder bank note.

anGy

Ron, we should remember that the LR conversion is still in beta. If you use the (bad) Sony software or Irrident Developer there are no jaggies at all in the pics. And even in LR, are there really jaggies?? IMO it is hard to tell. I won't subscribe to LC website and have strong doubts that he is right on that matter.
In my opinion there is no doubt at all that LR 5,3 RC is producing bad very fine details (jaggies or what some call 'digitally created data' in curved lines f.i. small tree wires). Sony IDC is softer even if very fine details are pushed a lot more. Capture 1 is also softer but less than Sony IDC. Hope this will disappear with the production LR 5,3.
(Cannot send crops for the moment).

tashley

Subscriber Member

I have done whatever tests I can to see if IDC gives fewer jaggies, and I'm afraid I can't reach a conclusion: sharpening at 0 in IDC is not zero, it is quite aggressive and is nasty, much sharper than my LR setting of 60/0.7/70/20 in LR and much blunter. Sharpening at -100 is way softer than LR with all sharpening off. Given the different parameters within any sharpening choice, it is simply not possible AFAIK to start with a matched base level of sharpening in order to compare jaggies across the two converters. IDC seems to have fewer jaggies it's true, but the NR is so nasty that it is just robbing the file of detail.

I have developed files in IDC a load of different ways and exported them as 16 bit TIFF to LR in order to try and get an unsharpened file to compare and I can't make it happen!

Whether IDC is calming the jaggies by throwing away the data, or whether it does de-mosaic the files better remains to be seen but is to me academic. I don't like what it does and I don't use it...

tashley

Subscriber Member

Since the thread is called 'fun with…' I thought I'd try mounting the A7R on a Joby Gorillapod, with 35mm F2.8 and 1 second exposure using a 2 second delay release.

Try doing that with a D800e and Sigma 35 Art..
:D

cgthanos

Just got the a7r yesterday. Aside from the slightly cumbersome focus-zoom procedure (and moving the box especially with grip attached), the operation is smooth and the files are great. Here is a quick test shot with the leica 75 cron -- color corrected with passport. No other PP.

a7rtest-2 by cgthanos, on Flickr

V

Vivek

Just got the a7r yesterday. Aside from the slightly cumbersome focus-zoom procedure (and moving the box especially with grip attached), the operation is smooth and the files are great. Here is a quick test shot with the leica 75 cron -- color corrected with passport. No other PP.
Very nice! Based on ebay.de, that lens has become quite sought after (and most sold) after the A7/7R. :)

Knorp

From World AIDS Day last Sunday.

| leica vario-elmarit-r 1:2.8-4.5/28-90 asph |

W.Utsch

Lots of jaggies here :)

To make an other argument: I printed some pics on my 3800 @A2, no jaggies at all in the prints with LR conversions.

Status
Not open for further replies.