The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

scho

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Another gloomy, dark day so I played around inside with the Contax 180mm f/2.8 Sonnar on the A7R. Mounted with a Fotodiox C/Y to E adapter and Novoflex ASAT-NEX adapter tripod mount. This was with a (too) small gitzo tripod and it is clear that I need to use my heavier tripod. The smaller one just transmits too much ambient vibration when working with slow shutter speed.

Knorp

Lightsculpture.

Hi Michiel,

Once again I chickened out (cold and windy) and decided to stay home, despite having the good intention to go out and visit the opening of the Amsterdam Light Festival on Friday.
Oh well, many more opportunities to come ...

A fine shot viewing the Amstel and Royal Theater Carré and the colourful light reflections are lovely.
I noticed you're using an M50/2: do you recall what ISO, shutter speed and aperture were selected ?

TIA

Kind regards.

W.Utsch

Lugano, Switzerland
as with the RX1 in low light i am using the A7R in M mode with auto iso:

pegelli

re: Fun With Sony _____

In spite of all the new cameras and GAS inspired posting I'm still very happy with my trusty A850 and an old Minolta 80-200/2.8 G lens. It's heavy to lug around all day but it brings home some pictures I'm really happy with.

Here's a few from a trip to Wroclaw earlier this year:

The Hat

Facade

Beautiful Witch

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel,

Once again I chickened out (cold and windy) and decided to stay home, despite having the good intention to go out and visit the opening of the Amsterdam Light Festival on Friday.
Oh well, many more opportunities to come ...

A fine shot viewing the Amstel and Royal Theater Carré and the colourful light reflections are lovely.
I noticed you're using an M50/2: do you recall what ISO, shutter speed and aperture were selected ?

TIA

Kind regards.
Hi Bart,

It was cold, rainy and windy in deed. But you did well not to go.
I was photographing together with te official photographer of the Lightproject, whom I met on the Waterlooplein bridge, and he told me a lot of works were damaged by the storm, so it is better to wait a week or so. People were still reparing projects along the route and some were not there at all.
The guy was, of course, photographing with a Canon MIII, recognised my Leica lens but not the camera. I said; it is a new Sony, with 36mp, and he said; well megapixels are not everything. He was a very friendly young guy, though.

As far as I can recall I took the photograph @ F8 or 11 and ISO 125, but I used a tripod (13 seconds), because it was pitch dark.

Thanks for the compliment!

anGy

Just a sample comparison (from the same raw file) of Sony Image Data Converter vs Capture 1 (adobe DNG converted) vs Ligthroom 5.3 RC

What I see is that Sony IDC (1st crop) can be pushed very far and give a lot of details (too much here) but without jaggies problems.
Take a look at the 'Azienda Agricola' writing for instance (small digital artifacts here are due to the jpeg compression only).
2nd is Capture 1, jaggies are there, less details than with Sony IDC but more details than with LR (3rd) with same amount of jaggies.
(Pushing details more with C1 or LR increase the jaggies to an unacceptable level so I stopped there)

Okay it's cutting hairs comparison but it's all about such fine details if choosing to use the A7r instead of the A7 isn't it ?

Another comparison of a house with small plants in the frontyard is more explicit but I can't show it here.
Let's hope LR 5.3 final will reach the detail level without jaggies that Sony IDC can produce.

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

re: Fun With Sony _____

Peg, great shots.

JohnPB - without a menorah in the photo, how do we know the photo was taken on the last night of Chanukah?:LOL:

V

Vivek

Michiel, Lovely posts! Your energy is a quite a bit of a surprise to me and hope you will continue to be an inspiration! :)

bcm

It was definitely a problem on the NEX 7. In the right conditions I'd have to stop down to f4 or thereabouts before it completely disappeared.

Strangely though, I haven't noticed it to any significant degree on the A7R. I'm not sure if it's just because the shooting conditions haven't been right for it to appear or whether the combination of the lens + sensor isn't causing the issue.

Another with the same combination. I find myself more and more attracted to black and white photography. Need an A7R Monochrome.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Does anyone know if there is a way to switch between Fullframe Mode and APS-C Mode with an adapted lens attached using one of the custom buttons or any other function ?

Michiel Schierbeek

Just a sample comparison (from the same raw file) of Sony Image Data Converter vs Capture 1 (adobe DNG converted) vs Ligthroom 5.3 RC

What I see is that Sony IDC (1st crop) can be pushed very far and give a lot of details (too much here) but without jaggies problems.
Take a look at the 'Azienda Agricola' writing for instance (small digital artifacts here are due to the jpeg compression only).
2nd is Capture 1, jaggies are there, less details than with Sony IDC but more details than with LR (3rd) with same amount of jaggies.
(Pushing details more with C1 or LR increase the jaggies to an unacceptable level so I stopped there)

Okay it's cutting hairs comparison but it's all about such fine details if choosing to use the A7r instead of the A7 isn't it ?

Another comparison of a house with small plants in the frontyard is more explicit but I can't show it here.
Let's hope LR 5.3 final will reach the detail level without jaggies that Sony IDC can produce.

I am using Sony IDC only at the moment and am currently also trying DxO Optics Pro.

What I was wondering; which of the colours of the green on the etiket is actually right? They are quiet different.
Looks like the middle one to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.