The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pfister

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Just a sample comparison (from the same raw file) of Sony Image Data Converter vs Capture 1 (adobe DNG converted) vs Ligthroom 5.3 RC
…snip...
Thanks for adding this info - it was a bit of a mystery at first… ;)

The yellow/orange haloes around the letters in the LR5.3RC conversion show that Adobe still has a good amount of work to do. I've found similar artifacts with some of my images (see 100% crop of image 'Boats on the Beach' posted a week ago). I very much like the rendering you achieved with IDC. To me, it looks realistic, very detailed and three-dimensional - exactly what you'd expect from a 36MP image taken with good glass. C1P and LR5.3RC look like mush in comparison. Which lens did you use and at what aperture?

anGy

@ Ron, it was shot with the Canon 24mm T/S mkII at f5,6 or f8 (should check).
It's at center of the image where the Canon lens seems to have a lot of resolving power.

@Michiel, none are really accurate in fact, the sticker is white-yellow with olive-green writings. LR is closest.
C1 colors are completely out due to the DNG generic profile used. SONY IDC I don't know, looks like some colors are out too (like greens).

JonPB

re: Fun With Sony _____

JohnPB - without a menorah in the photo, how do we know the photo was taken on the last night of Chanukah?:LOL:
Because it is written that it is so. :) Actually, while processing the image--which I did take while walking over to my family's gathering--I decided that the main tree silhouette resembled a stylized menorah, so mentioning the holiday in the pic's title came naturally.

Cheers,
Jon

scho

Not sure what happened here, but I noticed later that the image was captured in low res mode raw (16 mp). APS-C size capture was set to AUTO so I guess it saw the Contax G 90mm Sonnar mounted with the TechArt AF adapter as an APS-C lens. I set this function to OFF and seems to work as expected now.

I went with the A7, for the usual reasons - including the $$$ difference. It was a bit of a stretch for me, but I was curious. I have been collecting some of the more affordable Leica R lenses over the years, using them with the speedbooster on an NEX5n lately with good results. (no Summilux for me)

Along comes the A7, and for my way of taking photos, it is almost perfect. The five axis stabilization will probably be in next year's model, but I am tired of waiting. Even the under-appreciated 135 Elmarit R sings a happy song on the A7.

Interestingly, I find that, as Steve Huff suggested, I have better results without the focus peaking. Love that C1 button magnifier. Fast enough for me.

No images to share here yet.

Best regards,
DGM

bcm

Do you have color fringing problems with this lens?
Had a play around this arvo to see if I could provoke CA. It is still there from f2 to about f4. However I had to point the lens at an area of very high contrast (slat blinds with Australian midday summer sunlight coming through) in order to get it to become visible. I think the reason I haven't really noticed it is that with 36MP the area of the image made up of CA is small enough not to be a real issue unless you go to look for it. I can see it when I have the focus magnfier on, but not with the EVF at it's normal resolution.

Edit: Had a play with my CV 35/1.2, ZM 50/2 and even a Nikkor 85/2 SLR lens that a friend lent me and they all exhibit CA wide open to a degree. In the case of the Nikkor it never gets any better. With the Planar and the CV 35/1.2 it's gone by f4 similarly to the ZM85.

Last edited:

W.Utsch

Winter sun, fog - strong backlit:

The AT180 is a very strong performer as is IMO the ZE, despite the discussions going on about this lens.

tashley

Subscriber Member

With 35mm F2.8 ZA at F5.6 ISO200 and then some liberties with colour and local corrections...

Canon LTM 35 2

The Canon LTM 35 2 from more than half century ago is a surprise. Strong competitor for a few m and r summicrons.
Full open here in low light

_DSC0098 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

_DSC0098crop by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Here at F8

_DSC0206small by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

acceptable bokeh

_DSC0210 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

A test with resolution targets confirms that it out resolves the sensor from F2 on center (100 lp/mm or more) while borders progressively go from 75 lp/mm full open to nearly 90 lp/ at F8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.