The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

algrove

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Tim, thanks again.

What is your opinion of the Sony RAW compression used in these cameras? Are we losing something here?

tashley

Subscriber Member

Hopefully, without that "world's first adapter" . :D

Tim, If it won't let lenses reach infinity and vignettes, is it worth the bother?
Actually it is OK with infinity - on one or two lenses it only just makes it, but despite feeling slightly insecure, I can't make it fail.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Tim, thanks again.

What is your opinion of the Sony RAW compression used in these cameras? Are we losing something here?
I think so. So far it doesn't bother me but I've said from the start that it has less clean shadows. I wasn't sure, really, if that was because the camera tends to underexpose quite a lot but in any event I think there is still a less natural look to shadows and to some subtle tonal gradations, especially in OOF areas, but that is mostly at the pixel level and it very rarely bothers me. The files in some ways look very natural and in some ways look, sometimes, a little more processed than D800E files but I see it as no biggie.

My takeaway so far is that whatever you might be losing because of the processing pipeline, you are likely to be getting back in terms of the extra live view focus accuracy. If the sensor is the same as the D800E, then Sony and Nikon have done somewhat different thing with it. Both have their advantages, neither is as good as the sensor could deliver in the right body with the right lenses and the right focus, viewfinder and processing but both are an absolute privilege to use!

Daure

Mers les Bains is a very beautiful city.
The sea front is just amazing and colorful
Congrats

philber

How about "no fun with A7R"? My attempts with alt lenses turned out to be very disappointing. No way can I use ZM 18 or ZM 35 f:2.0 or G 28. That was more or less expected. Thumbs down also for Elmar 24. A heartbreaker, but also not totally unexpected. But what took me by surprise and a nasty one, is that my Sumilux 50 is not useable unless stopped down to at least f:4.0, and really excellent only at f:8.0.
That sucks. The fact that Contax G45, G90 and Elmarit R 60 Makro shine doesn't make up for the loss of my 2 favorite lenses.

jlm

Workshop Member

what is up with those squeaky clean streets?. feels like a bergman movie set.

of course i am a new yawker, where people think the street is their garbage can

scho

Some with the Canon FD 24/2
It was a wonderful day today.
I'm also using the FD 24/2 and like the results. No corner smearing issues. Only niggle is a bit of play in the focus ring of my copy, but I think this common to many of the old FD lenses.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

The Elmar 24mm f3,8 works really well on the A7.
(if you dont pixel peep at 100% in the extreme corners)

The pics are very usable from this combo.
One of my fav lenses on the A7 (+ the G45mm and G90mm)

W.Utsch

Michiel, what kind of adaptor (would my Metabones Smart III work) do you use with the Canon FD 20/2.8 and which version of the lens do you use? I looked in the Bay and there is a SSC FD 20 and others without SSC. How about the corner sharpness?

W.Utsch

The old Leica Summicron M 90/2.0 works very nice, no problems with the corners or vignetting :

Ron Pfister

Early on in this thread, we had discussed the merits of the A7R vs. the A7 in terms of real resolution. Lloyd Chambers has just published a side-by-side comparison, using the FE 2.8/35 (paid subscription required). There's a very clear gain in resolution with the A7R (as there should be, considering the combined effects of higher MP-count and lack of OLPF). I'm glad I chose the A7R over the A7 for my purposes (mostly landscape photography), even if it means that my M-mount wides won't work...

diglloyd blog - Shootout: Sony A7R vs Sony A7 (Red Barn)

philber

I may be facing the same choices as you, Ron. Or have both, with the A7 dedidated to M wides, and A7R to AF and longer lenses.

Ron Pfister

Here's a thought, Philippe: How about investing in some compact SLR wides and an adapter instead of the A7? Economically, this would certainly be the 'better' alternative. Judging from the images Michiel just posted, the Canon FDs look like a very good choice. I have tested the 2.8/28 C/Y and the 2.8/21 ZF.2, and they're both stellar (but the latter arguably questionable in terms of ergonomics). I have yet to try my good old AF Nikkor 2.8/20. I'll report my findings when I get around to it. Something of that size plus and adapter is about the same size as a CV Ultron 1.8/21.

Addendum: the 2/25 ZF.2 works equally well on the A7R, and the results are lovely.

Michiel Schierbeek

what is up with those squeaky clean streets?. feels like a bergman movie set.

of course i am a new yawker, where people think the street is their garbage can
These are small towns in France where streets can be quiet empty although it is rather hard to find them.

You should come to a village after 10 o'clock at night and you would think nobody lives there. Even the street lights are out.
Very quiet and may be healthy to relax from the ratrace :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, what kind of adaptor (would my Metabones Smart III work) do you use with the Canon FD 20/2.8 and which version of the lens do you use? I looked in the Bay and there is a SSC FD 20 and others without SSC. How about the corner sharpness?
I am using the FDn type, that is the newest one. You can go to this site to study the lenses.
Some people prefer the breechlocktype and say they are better build etc, but they are bigger and heavyer and I find them sometimes harder to work well with adapters.

I use a nameless chinese adapter. It does well, I think I bought it from roxens or adplo on the bay. If you want fast delevery pay extra or go somewhere else.

PSon

Good light with cleared sky for a change after some bad weather, I stopped by the park on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.