The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Many thanks, Werner! Looks like your A7R has been getting a serious workout. :thumbs:

I think you're correct - the shift I saw must be due to multiple stages of JPEG-mangling. And due to the two very different light sources at play, it really is unsuitable image to judge color shift to begin with. My bad!

If you take your white shot, however, WB in the center and then look at the RGB-values in the corners, you'll be able to tell for sure if there's any shift.

The reason I asked is because I read that this can be an issue with this lens (at least with the early ZF-version - no idea if there were any changes in coatings, etc. between that and the ZF.2/ZE). Is yours new?
Hi Ron,

The Zeiss 18/3.5 is the ZE lens and it is new. Its the DSLR version with Canon mount not the ZM Leica . I think the latter got tested a lot and is not working well on the 7's.

These "White Shots" are by no means "scientific", there are to may variables not controlled. The lightning, the medium you shot etc...
The white shot posted eg. was shot very uncontrolled through a white pice of paper against a grey sky (had no time to do it better).

I did these kind of tests with many Cam/lens combinations (the last one was the RX1) and i have never ever seen a combination that shows full even RGB values for "pure" white or grey anywhere in the frame ( if not completely blown highlights). Theoretically that should be the case of course but there are always small differences in the values.

Anyhow: For me the Zeiss 18 works perfect.

Best regards
Werner

W.Utsch

A first test of the lens correction App on the cam:

The good news is it is working in RAW!!

Sorry, guys, for the subject, just shots out, no through, my window to show the effect.
These are RAW's out of LR.
The corrections in the APP need much more fine-tuning, so don't rate color shift etc.
Lens was the Elmarit M 21/2.8 @ F 5.6

Before using the App

With the App on

Knorp

It's hard to resist using my M-lenses on the A7R ... :eek:

| leica summilux-m 1:1.4/50mm pre-asph |

Ron Pfister

Anyhow: For me the Zeiss 18 works perfect.
That's really encouraging to hear! Please believe me, I was not trying to rain on your parade in the slightest. I am genuinely interested in the performance of this lens, and what I had read about it regarding edge and corner color-shift was based on an early ZF-example used on an FF Nikon body.

V

Vivek

A first test of the lens correction App on the cam:

The good news is it is working in RAW!!

Sorry, guys, for the subject, just shots out, no through, my window to show the effect.
These are RAW's out of LR.
The corrections in the APP need much more fine-tuning, so don't rate color shift etc.
Lens was the Elmarit M 21/2.8 @ F 5.6
Thank you! :)

Do you happen to have CV12 or 15 lenses?

Looks like my 2.5cm f/4 W-Nikkor-C will be seeing a lot of action! :)

Holy Molly! The camera becomes much more versatile and powerful now! :clap:

W.Utsch

Knorp its the "Lens Correction App" you can download from Sony Playmemories direct via WiFi to your cam.

Vivek , no i do not have these lenses.
Took the Elmarit 21 because it as severe color shift for a first test. More tests and adjustments have to follow.

W.Utsch

Ron,
everything is Ok, nothing against a discussion :)

One more with Zeiss 18/3.5 ZE

Corners are really good, center super!

Knorp

Knorp its the "Lens Correction App" you can download from Sony Playmemories direct via WiFi to your cam.
Hey Werner, thank you and I've got it loaded already.
Now to create some lens profiles :D

Kind regards.

jonoslack

Hey Werner, thank you and I've got it loaded already.
Now to create some lens profiles :D

Kind regards.
I'll be interested to see how you get on . . . will it also deal with the smearing? (that's the $60,000 question!).

Knorp

I'll be interested to see how you get on . . . will it also deal with the smearing? (that's the $60,000 question!).
I think your $60,000 are going to be safe, Jono.
Can't imagine software correcting a fundamental "hardware" discrepancy.

Saving you the 60 grant , at least it will make your decision easier ... :angel:

All the best.

Knorp

Just picked up my two Sony NP-FW50 spare batteries.
Costing me US $30,00 plus US $3,00 for shipping.
Now, given that they're genuine, how good a deal is that ?

All the best.

W.Utsch

Jono,

smearing correction :angry: You can keep your money and buy some other stuff!!

I have really no time to test the App in a more serious way.
My first attempts show however, that it is not possible to correct all color shift on such a critical lens like the Elmarit M 21/2.8 i am using so far for testing.
The color profile of that lens might be to complex and the possibilities of the App to simple. Either you correct to much or to less.....

The corrections possible are relatively basic you can change:

Vignetting
Color: Red/Cyan shift and Blue/Yellow shift
Ca's (not tested)
Lens distortion (not tested)

Ron Pfister

Werner, it's great that you're testing this! But it seems to me that besides the convenience factor, one may be better off dealing with all this in post. And there's a very real danger of having the wrong profile enabled in camera, thus ruining one's images. Just thinking out loud…

Maybe less Bisto is more? ;)

jonoslack

Jono,

smearing correction :angry: You can keep your money and buy some other stuff!!

I have really no time to test the App in a more serious way.
My first attempts show however, that it is not possible to correct all color shift on such a critical lens like the Elmarit M 21/2.8 i am using so far for testing.
The color profile of that lens might be to complex and the possibilities of the App to simple. Either you correct to much or to less.....

The corrections possible are relatively basic you can change:

Vignetting
Color: Red/Cyan shift and Blue/Yellow shift
Ca's (not tested)
Lens distortion (not tested)
Thank you Werner & Bart
To be honest I'm not surprised (or upset). It seems to me that it's best to use the camera with the lenses which it likes (which are lots) rather than beating oneself up with lenses it doesn't like (which aren't so many after all).

all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Werner, it's great that you're testing this! But it seems to me that besides the convenience factor, one may be better off dealing with all this in post. And there's a very real danger of having the wrong profile enabled in camera, thus ruining one's images. Just thinking out loud…

Maybe less Bisto is more? ;)
I totally agree here. Once you screw it up in camera its game over. This LCC stuff is easy in post. Bottom line do what us tech cam folks do shoot your LCC in the field than correct in post. All this plug in crap is not the way to go IMHO.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Back to the Zeiss 18mm I had that for my Nikons and its a excellent lens. Nice thing less distortion and easier to correct for it than the famed 21. I really like that lens and corners where very good on it. Today I shoot the Leica 19r which I love and it's getting carried over to the Sony system no doubt about it.

I vaguely remember doing a review on the 18 but heck if I know where that is. Old man disease. LOL

W.Utsch

You are all right being skeptical with these in cam Apps.
Sure with the FFP much better results can be achieved.

Well but we or someone (I) had to try it at least.

The Leica way with the coding and correcting via perfect profiles is by far better.

The Zeiss ZE 18 is anyhow much better than the 21 Elmarit M.

Here are two more with the native 55:

W.Utsch

Michiel,

yep, far better corners on the 18/3.5.

But Ca's are a problem with that lens as well.
Not as bad as on your example and they are removed, when there is some corner sharpness very easy and complete in LR.

Guy:
Would love the Leica 19 R but that lens is still incredible expensive and much bulkier and heavier than the Zeiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.