The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSEH

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Test time. Some cheaper Zeiss lenses, the old C/Y (leitax converted) with Novoflex NIK-NEX. A7r and C1 for raw converting (best in my personal test).

First 28 mm f/2.8 at f/5.6 or 8 (forgot it, but they same same IQ)

Then the 50 f/1.4 at f/8

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

From my morning walk with the A7r and the Leica Elmarit-R 24 f/2.8 Leitax A-mount. I am using the LA-E4 adapter, and having some trouble when this lens is mounted. Sometimes the menu button is diabled, and sometimes C1 does not bring up the magnifier. Anyone else encountered this?

Ron Pfister

Cindy, I'm not using A-mount but F-mount Leitax bayonets, and have had faulty Dandelion chips causing my D800E to do similar things. Is the A-mount on your R24 chipped? If so, you may want to try covering the contacts with tape to see if that helps...

Knorp

From my morning walk with the A7r and the Leica Elmarit-R 24 f/2.8 Leitax A-mount. I am using the LA-E4 adapter, and having some trouble when this lens is mounted. Sometimes the menu button is diabled, and sometimes C1 does not bring up the magnifier. Anyone else encountered this?
Hi Cindy, are you using the battery grip ?
I'm having the same issue with the C1 button and, although I'm not completely sure yet, blame it to my hand pressing against the shutter button of the grip and so activating focus/exposure but without firing.
I think the same is true for the Menu button.

Just try pressing the shutter button half way and then one of the other buttons.
Already declared this grip as a flawed design ...

Kind regards.

ashwinrao1

A7 and 55 mm FE. The lens is quite nice....not quite as snappy in AF as the 35 FE, but no slouch....rendering is lovely and very "sonnar"....

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Cindy, I'm not using A-mount but F-mount Leitax bayonets, and have had faulty Dandelion chips causing my D800E to do similar things. Is the A-mount on your R24 chipped? If so, you may want to try covering the contacts with tape to see if that helps...
Thanks, Ron. I'll check that out, but if I remember right, I did not chip the 24mm.

Hi Cindy, are you using the battery grip ?
I'm having the same issue with the C1 button and, although I'm not completely sure yet, blame it to my hand pressing against the shutter button of the grip and so activating focus/exposure but without firing.
I think the same is true for the Menu button.

Just try pressing the shutter button half way and then one of the other buttons.
Already declared this grip as a flawed design ...

Kind regards.
Thank you, Bart. That is the problem! You are right about flawed design.

Last edited:

wuffstuff

Thank you, Bart. That is the problem! You are right about flawed design.
I've also noted C1 sometimes not magnifying.

Like you I have the grip attached but don't feel that it's particularly flawed. It adds a lovely balance to the camera, especially with a front weighted lens, as well as giving extra battery life. For me the big bonus, and it may sound pathetic, but, it encourages the camera to sit perfectly flat against my body.

Although I quite enjoy the grip it is way too overpriced for what it is. That's Sony's way with accessories. It would be churlish to complain too much though as the A7r is a lot of camera for a reasonable price.

V

Vivek

It would be churlish to complain too much though as the A7r is a lot of camera for a reasonable price.
That is what Sony count on. All their accessories are way over priced. Try some flash accessories, connectors and such, you would find the (overpriced) grip a bargain!

pegelli

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

No posts since September, what would have taken out the fun of shooting with a NEX?

I'm still having fun. Here's a few with a NEX6 and a Leica M Summicron 50/2 DR (all @ f2.8, rest of the exif in the files)

Dreamy horse

Grafitti

Look up

Fungus

Flying bird (actually it's salt leaching out of the concrete of a pre WW1 bunker)

benroy

Subscriber Member

180/2.8 Zeiss (CY) w/A7...same subject, four different renditions. #2: PS red filter...#3 : Silver Efex...#4 infrared.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

I've also noted C1 sometimes not magnifying.

Like you I have the grip attached but don't feel that it's particularly flawed. It adds a lovely balance to the camera, especially with a front weighted lens, as well as giving extra battery life. For me the big bonus, and it may sound pathetic, but, it encourages the camera to sit perfectly flat against my body.

Although I quite enjoy the grip it is way too overpriced for what it is. That's Sony's way with accessories. It would be churlish to complain too much though as the A7r is a lot of camera for a reasonable price.
I think my problem is that I had the LA-E4 and a Leica Elmarit-R 24mm lens on the camera. My hand, needing to balance that weight, was holding tight. My other hand was holding the lens. The shutter button on my grip sticks out, so it was being depressed by my grip on the camera. Perhaps some kind of a ring added around my shutter button would rectify the situation. I do like the ergonomic of having the grip when I use the LA=E4 and heavy lenses.

V

Vivek

The purple in this image is a real purple, and not vignetting. We were seconds away from a huge downpour. A7r and 50 Lux ASPH.
Looks like you have a great sample of this lens! ;)

Lovely! :)

Daure

I think my problem is that I had the LA-E4 and a Leica Elmarit-R 24mm lens on the camera. My hand, needing to balance that weight, was holding tight. My other hand was holding the lens. The shutter button on my grip sticks out, so it was being depressed by my grip on the camera. Perhaps some kind of a ring added around my shutter button would rectify the situation. I do like the ergonomic of having the grip when I use the LA=E4 and heavy lenses.
Isn't it an on/off switch on the grip to avoid that ?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Isn't it an on/off switch on the grip to avoid that ?
Yes, turning the switch to off solves the problem. I don't like the extra step of turning the switch to on, before taking a photo in portrait mode. I will live with this solution for now. I may try a mod so that I don't have to use the switch.

nikonf

I know.
When you try to purchase the camera or lens on-line, the sales person immediately tells you - "You really need to purchase the grip and flash in order to get the most out of this camera".

That is what Sony count on. All their accessories are way over priced. Try some flash accessories, connectors and such, you would find the (overpriced) grip a bargain!

BSEH

Overpriced accessories - is same same fx at Nikon. I short the chines companies will supply us with pretty good and cheaper alternatives..

Must say i love this camera, so easy to use with MF lenses.. and love the files, haven't printed yet, hope they stand up to the IQ i have seen until now.

More C/Y Zeiss first 50 mm (1.4) handhold - and then 28 mm (2.8) tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.