The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwinrao1

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Matt, looks like with think and process alike. Love the shot of the honey and the great wheel in the middle of the last set...

m_driscoll

Matt, looks like with think and process alike. Love the shot of the honey and the great wheel in the middle of the last set...
Ash: Thanks! It's fun to see our differing, but similar, "takes" on what we were shooting. That Noctilux of yours excells on the A7!

Here's a couple more that match yours.

Cheers, Matt

W.Utsch

Nice shots Werner! Is the 18mm the Zeiss on a Nikon mount? If so, how do you like it? Any comments vs. the Zeiss 21mm? I have the Zeiss 21mm but would like to change for the 18 for weight and space reasons.

Thanks!
Hi Marc,

the lens is ZE, Canon mount and i am using it with the Metabones smart III adapter.
It works superb with the A7R with an extreme sharp center and very good corners. Vignetting is strong wide open and there can be Ca's with extreme backlit. Both can be handled in PP very easy.
There are more examples and a photo of the combination plus a small discussion above in the thread.

There is a profile for the lens in LR 5.

I can not comment on the Z 21 Distagon because i do not have hat lens. IMO it is to big (long) and to heavy withe the A7. The 18 makes a nice combination.

MarcB83

Werner,

Thanks for the response. One last clarification: if you use a Metabones Smart III adapter, it must mean you that have to shoot in APS-C size capture?

Metabones in their documentation says that the Smart III adapters are not full-frame compatible. Which is why I picked the Nikon-mount version which allows one to use any straight adapter (but without all the other benefits of the Smart III adapters...).

Thanks again!

W.Utsch

Marc,
no the Metabones Smart III is FF, its the Metabones SpeedBooster thats APS-C!

My comment to the lens is to its FF performance!

The adapter handles aperture in this case automatic because the ZE Canon Mount has no manual aperture ring. The Exif's are written to the file as seen : 18mm F3.5.

W.Utsch

Michiel,
as always superb!
Love landscape with longer lenses.

That Canon FD 100/2 seem to be excellent!
Have the Leica Apo-Macro R 100/2.8 which works excellent as well on the Sony. Though it is a little heavy and long.

jonoslack

Dave, from reports, I thought the Leica WATE work well (?) ... seems like that would be the dream WA lens, and be easier to work with than on a M camera with the Frankenfinder.
The WATE does appeals to be ideal but unfortunately I sold mine long before there was even a hint of the A7(r) and reacquiring one is unfortunately at a steep premium. Love the thought though that the Frankenfinder would no longer be needed. If only I had known.
Well, of course, you don't need a frankenfinder on an M camera anymore - at least, not on the M(240), where the LCD is really useful for framing with the WATE - my frankenfinder gathers dust.

I found the WATE to be good on the A7r - but it didn't seem to be as good as it was on the M - I've been trying it on the A7 today, but haven't really checked the results yet.

As for other WA M lenses on the A7r - I think the modern 21 and 24 'lux lenses are likely to be okay(isn), but expect corner smearing on anything (up to and including the 50 'lux).

Like you Dave (and unlike many) I do (sometimes) need sharp corners. My feeling was that M lenses aren't that successful on the A7r if that's what you want. Even the 75 'cron left me feeling kind of empty. I reckon that native lenses and SLR lenses designed for a longer distance to the rear element are a probably a better bet. . . . .

MarcB83

Werner,

Thanks a lot for the clarification! It was my mistake since on Metabones product page, it states for the Alpha 7's: "Mark III supports auto "APS-C Size Capture" with EF-S lens". Not being entirely familiar with Canon lenses, I interpreted this as being the case for all Canon lenses, when it is only for Canon APS-C lenses...

Thanks again!!

W.Utsch

I generally gave up on M-Lenses with the Sony.
I can use, for the special look, the Noctilux (have an old one) or the Cron 90/2 (old as well) but all other specially WW's are out for me.

I don't complain and use DSLR (all my Leica R and Canon L glass works excellent) instead.
As others have shown very old and cheap lenses come to new live, which is great.

Here two with the R Apo-Macro 100/2.8

The sign reads:

" again/still
always sick !

(poor beast.) "

jonoslack

There are times I need near optimal edge to edge sharpness at focal lengths of 18mm, 21mm and 28mm without color casts (even though there are specific ways to reduce it... and from all I've seen and read, it can be problematic with a substatial majority of lenses with these focal lengths. I've seen the Leica 21mm f3.4 and that looks good as does the VC 35mm f1.2 and 18mm f4 Zeiss-M. The Olympus lenses look promising, maybe perform better on the A7r than the Leica M lenses in general.

I hope there can be a greater percentage of postings with these and other wide/ultra wide angle lenses in order to clearly delineate where and with what lenses lie issues relative to their interaction with the sensor...esepcailly in real world shooting. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave
Here is the WATE on the A7 at f4 - not posted for it's artistic merit! However, it seems to me to be great. I have to say that my experience with the A7 in 24 hours has been diametrically exposed to my feelings about the A7r in that much time. 50 shots last night, mostly at 6400 ISO, 180 shots this morning, all hand held, and not a failed focus or a sign of camera shake.

Feets don't fail me now - A7 and WATE

jonoslack

I generally gave up on M-Lenses with the Sony.
I can use, for the special look, the Noctilux (have an old one) or the Cron 90/2 (old as well) but all other specially WW's are out for me.
Hi There - I think you're quite right about M lenses.

Leica have put in huge amounts of effort to make them work good on the M cameras . . . . . one can't expect Sony to put in any work at all.

It was my big disappointment - and at the bottom of why the A7r went back to the dealer.

On the other hand (and many thanks especially to Ashwin and Matt for helping me along with the anguish :) ). For it's own sake I'm just loving the A7 - and the kit lens is better than any £400 lens deserves to be.

jonoslack

No Kit lens should ever be this good!
with the humble 28-70 kit lens at 70mm:

Emma and the Dogs in Bier lane

D&A

Thanks Jono regarding the A7 with your WATE. Although I can foresee a two camera system (the A7 & A7r) to cover a multitude of purposes, much as Guy has come to the same logic, it's the A7r that is the far more demanding one with regards to wides and ultra wides. Since its been reported the WATE is one of the few that does well on the A7r, I'm not all that surprised by your observations with it on your A7.

One question... It now seems many of the Leica M lenses were a disappointment on the A7r for a variety of reasons, do you feel with your A7, that your opinion of them has changed to some degree? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.