The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwinrao1

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Looks like it was a busy week-end of shooting for everyone...This camera really does appear to inspire us all to get out there, shoot, test, etc....I am really really impressed by your images, as well as the output of the A7 and A7R, for the most part. Given my reliance often on M lenses, the A7 works great for me...

What follows next are 2 models that I shot, in controlled lighting, using the A7 with the 35 FE, 55 FE, and 85 ZA lenses using the LA-E4 adapter on the last lens...I am very pleased...

Last edited:

Shac

Yesterday with the A7 and Leica 35-70/4 - this light and colour lasted and lasted - minus 3 C as well

ashwinrao1

# 1: Haley. I have shot her a few times before. Really lovely young lady, who's main deal is cosplay modelling, where she's made a name for herself. She shoots regularly with Ed Tan, who is on this forum, and I get to shoot her now and again. This type of work is NOT my natural element, but she makes it quite easy:

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Finally, model # 3: Rachel. She's 20 but has a mature way about her, in her presentation. Very nice young woman who's got a cool look....also made it easy to shoot, as she's very expressive...

Taylor Sherman

One from each lens today - A7, wide to narrow.

CV15

21 Super-Elmar

28 Summicron

60 Macro-Elmarit-R

80 Summilux-R

135/4 Elmar

m_driscoll

A couple from last Friday's shoot with Ashwin. Musicians, Pike Place Market, in front of the "first" Starbucks (not really, but, it's a good story for the tourists). A7 with Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8

Cheers, Matt

scho

Two more from yesterday's shoot with the 55 1.8 on the A7R.

The detail in this image comes through nicely in print.

benroy

Subscriber Member

For what it's worth: edge sharpness...been reading comments about "smearing", etc. on some lenses (wide angles)...so I took 4 very sharp lenses with the A7 and shot a mini-landscape at the base of the tree at the end of my driveway...I like the way my eyes follow the lines swiriing up to the base of the tree
Each shot on a different day, but at about the same early morning time. All exposed at 1/250, f/4 @ ISO 400 in very subdued light...all zooms shot at 35mm focal length...adapters for both the Nikon and the Zeiss were inexpensive Fotodiox adapters.

Pic #1: Nikon 25-50/4 MF...pic#2: Nikon 28/2.8 MF...pic#3: Zeiss 35-70/3.4...pic#4: Nikon 35-70/3.5 MF...in my opinion edges in all pics look pretty good...edges in the 28 prime lens probably the best.

I STAND CORRECTED...I did not read carefully enough and assumed all wide angle lenses were having smeared edges...as Makten correctly pointed out, only RF wide angles are having this problem...I hope I have not misled anyone. Anyway...I got a chance to show off four superlative manual focus SLR lenses.

Last edited:

Makten

For what it's worth: edge sharpness...been reading comments about "smearing", etc. on some lenses (wide angles)...
The problems with smearing introduced by the sensor is only present with rangefinder lenses, because of their short distance from exit pupil to sensor. Any SLR lens should do as good as on their native cameras.

jonoslack

*** Barbie Alert. Non-scientific test. ***

A7R + Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH.

I was able to borrow the doll and pony for a few minutes. Focus was on Barbie's right eye iris (on the circular catchlight to be precise).

Test "scene":
Very Nice Eeraj - excellently sharp, but don't you feel that the eye looks a little plasticky? :p

jaree

Jono - Thanks....yes, a bit plasticky indeed, but it is hard to find real ones these days!

Hope you are enjoying your A7.

Best,

Eeraj

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono - Thanks....yes, a bit plasticky indeed, but it is hard to find real ones these days!

Hope you are enjoying your A7.

Best,

Eeraj
Hi Eeraj - I'm enjoying it a lot . . . today I introduced it to some high quality English rain (snaps later).

As for real eyes - couldn't you have used Barbie's owner (or is she harder to keep still!).

MikalWGrass

re: Fun With Sony _____

Taken at the pool yesterday. Shot from about 60' feet (18.2 meters) with the Sony a900 with 70-200/2.8G and 1.4x extender. The photo was cropped and then tweaked a bit with VSCO polaroid filter.

LOLApool by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

jaree

Hi Jono - Speaking of real eyes, here you go. I had to bribe the model with a bottle of Coke and iPad time. Now if I can only match the color rendering from my M9 and fix the WB, I will be golden.

A7 + 50'Lux. ~ F2 (I think). Both are cropped (about 50% of original frame)

Looking forward to see more of your A7 results.

-- Eeraj

(...)
Hermann: Thanks! I'm not surprised. :) The last shot was the corridor outside our room. The second to last was looking up from the first floor lobby through the tapering atrium. The third from last was the atria opening at the top floor night club. Very interesting renovation of the old BBC Building.

Cheers, Matt
Matt: Thanks a lot for the added information! Much appreciated, all the more, since we may visit London in the spring after quite a couple of years. So evidently there will be something very interesting new to discover ..

Pike Place Market, Seattle. A7 with Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8.

Cheers, Matt
Matt: A wealth of new nice captures on the last couple of pages. I particularly like the first of the above-quoted due to the thoughtful and very well-working conception (and the colors), the second, because it captures the interaction of the subjects so well/strikingly (and the apt B&W conversion).

jonoslack

Hi Jono - Speaking of real eyes, here you go. I had to bribe the model with a bottle of Coke and iPad time. Now if I can only match the color rendering from my M9 and fix the WB, I will be golden.
Lovely eyes! and not even slightly plasticky. I think our standard bribe is strawberry yoghurt . . . . . and iPad time :)

jonoslack

We drove down to Cornwall today, stopping at Avebury to exercise the dogs on the Ridgeway - we walked for 40 minutes . . and then the rain came down (no shelter), so we turned around, just before we got back to the car the sun came out, but it was so soooo windy!

The A7 got thorougly wet too (apparently without damage). not too many shots, and the landscape is probably over worked, but we had fun, the camera was fun . . . . all with the kit lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.