The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Sherman

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

HI Tim
but why am I simply not seeing this problem on the A7 - I've hardly had an OOF photo, and I've never bothered to turn the OSS off - it just works, reliably and consistently. I've not seen any complaints from Matt with his kit lens on the A7 either.
Seems to me that it's still likely to be to do with the first curtain (lets face it THAT's the difference between the cameras).
The blurriness I see in Tim's ship photo doesn't look like shutter shock -- it is uniform blur in all directions, which to me says OOF (or perhaps OSS doing something bad like jiggling the optics, but even then it'd have to move them in several directions during the exposure).

k-hawinkler

The blurriness I see in Tim's ship photo doesn't look like shutter shock -- it is uniform blur in all directions, which to me says OOF (or perhaps OSS doing something bad like jiggling the optics, but even then it'd have to move them in several directions during the exposure).

Thanks Taylor, I agree with that. Shutter shake or shock has been a directional phenomena when I encountered it.

But whatever causes this lens behavior only on the A7R and not the A7, Sony must have had a reason to offer the lens only with the A7. I wonder what they were thinking?

tashley

Subscriber Member

HI Tim
but why am I simply not seeing this problem on the A7 - I've hardly had an OOF photo, and I've never bothered to turn the OSS off - it just works, reliably and consistently. I've not seen any complaints from Matt with his kit lens on the A7 either.
Seems to me that it's still likely to be to do with the first curtain (lets face it THAT's the difference between the cameras).
Maybe, maybe not, it's v hard to say: I have randomly pathetic IQ at many different shutter speeds, focal lengths, apertures, and with various permutations of focus method and OSS setting. I think it is multi-factorial but the answer to your 'why' is, IMHO, slightly more likely sample variation than an A7 vs A7R issue... trouble is, I personally just don't trust Sony manufactured lenses, however good the good ones might be.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Taylor, I quite agree. This is something I see again and again: no 'one axis blur' but a general smear, almost like a gaussian blur, in all directions.

This is why the lens is a dog (F8, 1/320th, 70mm)
This is why the lens is a god (F5.6, 1/160th, 33mm)

One might argue that it is very capable. It is. One might also argue that it's only as good as it's worst (correctly taken) shot.

nikonf

Very cute image!
This was also taken with the 50mm Canon FD?
That lens was one of my favorites in 1971!
I will have to pick-up another one. I love the way some of these old 50mm f1.4 lenses draw an image on the A7R.

Thanks,
Mike
Same setting as above; keep shooting with one lens

D&A

Taylor, I quite agree. This is something I see again and again: no 'one axis blur' but a general smear, almost like a gaussian blur, in all directions.

This is why the lens is a dog (F8, 1/320th, 70mm)
This is why the lens is a god (F5.6, 1/160th, 33mm)

One might argue that it is very capable. It is. One might also argue that it's only as good as it's worst (correctly taken) shot.
Tim, its hard to say what the cause is of your optical issue, but when its random as you described, especially as you change position of element groups in the zoom, it's generally due to either mis-alignment or more often "play" of looseness in an element or elements within one of the optical groups.

Dave (D&A)

m_driscoll

Hi Tim
Lovely ship - pity it's soft.
This is not an issue I'm finding with the 28-70 . . . mind you, Ming Thein think's it's a 'dog'. Matt likes his, I'm startled by how good mine is . . . certainly not had any shots like that, so I suspect that it might be shutter slap rather than AF issues . . . . after all, how do you get the AF wrong at infinity at f8?

My suspicion is that it's not suited to the A7r, but is pretty stellar on the A7?

whaddyareckon?
It's the A7r! Ming Thien was using his on an A7r, also. IMHO, of course.

Cheers, Matt

bensonga

This image looks really sharp and in focus Matt. Are you sure it was taken with the 28-70 kit lens? ;)

Gary

bensonga

I REALLY like this image Matt. No matter the lens or camera, this is nice shot. No scenes like that one here in Alaska.

Gary

PSon

Very cute image!
This was also taken with the 50mm Canon FD?
That lens was one of my favorites in 1971!
I will have to pick-up another one. I love the way some of these old 50mm f1.4 lenses draw an image on the A7R.

Thanks,
Mike
Thank You Mike!
Yes this was taken with the Canon 50mm F1.2L FD lens. It is a very easy lens to manual focus with a big focus ring to grasp and overall a compact lens that can deliver character and sharpness.
-Son

bensonga

I processed this one from the Raw file. It might not look much better here, but the print is a big improvement over the version I processed from the JPG file. It prints a bit darker than the web image looks on my monitor here. And for me at least, a good print is my ultimate goal.

I am really looking forward to using this camera with my Leica R lenses. :D

Gary

Gbealnz

Like the sun and sunspot picture from yesterday, I figured I'd try it on the first quarter moon as well. Rained heavily just before, and again immediately after, but sort of clear while I took this, albeit with a twilight sky (so not completely dark).
Same 10" f5 scope, ISO100, and 1/250th of a second.
Garty

Status
Not open for further replies.