The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonf

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I will keep my "Radar" on for one.
Something really special about the rendering of that lens!
All the Best,
Mike
Thank You Mike!
Yes this was taken with the Canon 50mm F1.2L FD lens. It is a very easy lens to manual focus with a big focus ring to grasp and overall a compact lens that can deliver character and sharpness.
-Son

I think it is an OSS thing: I have now assigned OSS on/off to Fn button 3 and am getting better results with it off, even at 1x focal length.
I think you've hit on something there.

I had forgotten that this lens had stabilization (most of the lenses I own don't have it, so I don't expect it). Turned it off and I'm already seeing much sharper images.

Michiel Schierbeek

I processed this one from the Raw file. It might not look much better here, but the print is a big improvement over the version I processed from the JPG file. It prints a bit darker than the web image looks on my monitor here. And for me at least, a good print is my ultimate goal.

I am really looking forward to using this camera with my Leica R lenses. :D

Gary

Magnificent Gary!

Ben Rubinstein

Went out for a causal shoot with a past student of mine, light didn't really work, neither did the compositions. Such is life.

A7r, Tak Super 50mm 1.4 @ f8, iso 1600

scho

First test shot with the Samyang 24mm f/3.5 TS lens on the A7R. Lens (Nikon mount) attached with Novoflex NIK to E adapter and ASTAT/NEX ring mount on a leveled tripod. Dialed in a hair more than 1 degree tilt and shot at ISO 100 f/11. Seems to be sharp across the frame with a little uncorrected distortion.

jonoslack

Taylor, I quite agree. This is something I see again and again: no 'one axis blur' but a general smear, almost like a gaussian blur, in all directions.

This is why the lens is a dog (F8, 1/320th, 70mm)
This is why the lens is a god (F5.6, 1/160th, 33mm)

One might argue that it is very capable. It is. One might also argue that it's only as good as it's worst (correctly taken) shot.
I agree - it's only as good as the worst (correctly taken) shot. I've seen no complaints from others with the lens on the A7, and whatever else, I'm nearly as fussy as you about this stuff. On the other hand, several people with the A7r have complained (actually, I've not seen anyone say that it's okay on the A7r).

Well, I went out today and took 55 shots with the camera and the zoom, one grab shot was grotesquely out of focus, the rest are spot on - no funny blur, no smeary corners, only decent, detailed images.

Everything points to it being something inherent in the distinction between the cameras, and as KarlHeinz says, it's unlikely to be a coincidence that Sony didn't bundle the kit with the A7r.

BSEH

First test shot with the Samyang 24mm f/3.5 TS lens on the A7R. Lens (Nikon mount) attached with Novoflex NIK to E adapter and ASTAT/NEX ring mount on a leveled tripod. Dialed in a hair more than 1 degree tilt and shot at ISO 100 f/11. Seems to be sharp across the frame with a little uncorrected distortion.

[/URL]
Please post more with this combo - Its on my "to buy or try list" sins Samyang is make a E mount .. THANKS

jonoslack

Well, the sun shone today, so we went to see the sea. I took the kit lens, and also the WATE, so, here are some pictures with the WATE (no issues, just fine).

High Sky

Did I say No More Dog Photos?

Treen Cliffs

What's Wrong With Colour

The WATE seems to be wonderful on the A7 - just great, sharp all over, detailed and contrasty (I haven't done a torture test at f4 however).

jonoslack

. . . and here are a few more with the kit zoom. I still like it!

Cows and Chickens

Yellow Buoy

Green Buoy

bensonga

The full res version looks very good! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gary

jonoslack

The first shot was taken almost in the dark:
1/60th ISO 6400 f4.5 at 45mm

Both with the kit zoom

Chain Mail Fence

Prickly Path

scho

Please post more with this combo - Its on my "to buy or try list" sins Samyang is make a E mount .. THANKS
I will try to get out this weekend with the Samyang TS and post some images then. I have the Rokinon 14mm in E mount, but the built-in extension adapter diameter is too large for my ASTAT/NEX mount so that is why I bought the Samyang in Nikon mount to ensure compatabiity with my mounting system (assuming that the Samyang E mount extension would be similar and too large).

bensonga

Michiel: I love the colors in this and the "Snack Arches" images. Really nice. I mounted my Leica 50mm Summicron-R on the A7 last night, but everything here in Alaska is shades of gray and white right now....nothing as colorful as these places. :(

Gary

BSEH

I will try to get out this weekend with the Samyang TS and post some images then. I have the Rokinon 14mm in E mount, but the built-in extension adapter diameter is too large for my ASTAT/NEX mount so that is why I bought the Samyang in Nikon mount to ensure compatabiity with my mounting system (assuming that the Samyang E mount extension would be similar and too large).
Thanks look forward to that.. but why yo use the ASTAT/NEX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.