The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSon

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Nice to see you posting again ;)
Thank you my friend. It has been awhile but I felt good about the a sony community here so I start top participate again. I hope you are well and happy new year Peter.

Best Regards,
Son

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The bottom line is one can't argue physics...
Which is probably one of the reasons why the A7/r don't have IBIS and why there's no f/0.95 lens available in A-mount and why the Leica variety costs $11,000 and so on.

The main advantages with the A7/r is that they represent a lot of pixels in a small package and that they are a lot of fun for photo enthusiasts. Herein lies the challenge for Sony. When all the enthusiasts have bought theirs, can they come up with a new model that have enough improvements to sell to the same buyers once more?

bensonga

Some from the morning stroll... all with the 28-70 which I have tamed but not mastered. Taming involves always either using MF or 'double press AF' and always using a higher shutter speed than feels necessary...
The evidence seems to suggest that if you pair a 28-70 with an A7 you'll avoid these quirks, complications and the hassles of using it with an A7r.

Gary

iiiNelson

Which is probably one of the reasons why the A7/r don't have IBIS and why there's no f/0.95 lens available in A-mount and why the Leica variety costs $11,000 and so on.

The main advantages with the A7/r is that they represent a lot of pixels in a small package and that they are a lot of fun for photo enthusiasts. Herein lies the challenge for Sony. When all the enthusiasts have bought theirs, can they come up with a new model that have enough improvements to sell to the same buyers once more?
What improvements are you suggesting that are needed. There are things that are subjectively a problem to individuals but it's not universal to all.

kienchil

There will obviously always be varied options for the two systems. What I'm pointing out is that the two Sony bodies aren't much better suited for than an E-M1 for low light photography. The 17.5mm f/0.95 will do away with some of the advantage the A7/r might have with an f/1.2 lens. The advantage to either camera will vary with focal lengths and available lenses for that length obviously.

As for myself, I stay with m4/3 because of the available native lenses. With current technology, I don't see the the sensor size difference between 35mm and m4/3 as significant for my use anymore. Others have different needs and opinions obviously.

For extreme low light photography: See Nikon Df/D4... or a Fuji with a Speed Booster, making your f/1.2 become f/0.85 and a Noct into a rather speedy f/0.7 :D
I still have my NEX E-mount Speedbooster and a plethora of fast 50's that would be equivalent to f/0.95 and less on my A7R. Even utilizing the APS-C crop mode the resulting files would be the equivalent of the E-M1 in terms of Megapixel size! Just think of the A7r as the Swiss army knife of FF cameras! :toocool:.

P.S don't forget the NEX E-mount was the original speedbooster design!

pozzello

One last train pic... :loco:

12-shot stitch with the Canon 50mm 1.8 II

The focus magnifier is definitely one of the highlights of the camera - perfect focus every time.

Awesome detail - death of MFDB ? :D

Paul

pozzello

As a side note - the camera is clearly not water resistant; after 20 minutes shooting in light rain the aperture dial stopped working.

Annna T

I keep going back and forth. I still have good u4/3 glass and shoot the GH3, though mostly video. I was about to pull the trigger on the EM1 but held off. It feels a bit better in my hands than the A7, and my head says EM1 since I've got a good set of lenses (12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, 25/1.4, 45/1.8) and also the GM1 which is a fun little camera. My head says that staying in the same "family" gives the most bang for the buck, and the touchscreen on the EM1 makes for quicker shooting and the IBIS solves a lot of issues in low light and for run-and-gun video. I find the IBIS works better than the Panny OIS.

Plus I've never quite gotten on with Sony, and have somewhat of a bias about the company. Not sure why, but brands are funny that way. That said, when I look through the various forums here I see spectacular shots with any of the systems (since the shooters are *very* good), but for some reason the ones in this thread seem to stand out. I do have a 135/2 L lens that I'm not using that could go away and make up the difference between them. But while the GH3 is the work camera, the next one I buy will be the fun camera, so perhaps logic shouldn't carry the day. That said, GAS clouds the mind of even the strongest individual :D
It is because the photographers in this thread are so great ! I'm particularly appreciating Tim Ashley, Werner Utsch and Michael Schierbek. I'm in the same situation as you : I have a lot of MFT lenses, plus a Canon 6D for TSE lenses. I have been tempted by an A7 and following the Sony A7s threads since it was introduced. But this week decided against it : I love my E-M5 and don't want to part from it. I bought the 12-40mm Olympus zoom instead and I'm very happy with it. I considered replacing the 6D with the A7, but it doesn't make so much sense, because the 6D isn't that heavy, nor that big 770gr.) and I don't print big.

Tim has also got an E-M1 plus 12-40mm and is raving about that combo. Look in the 4:3 threads (particularly the fun with the E-M1 and the 12-40mm thread) he has shown gorgeous pictures there : it's the photographers, the eye, not the gear ! I'm staying with MFT for the moment.

Annna T

Some yes but not all and one could put a Noctilux on an A7/r. The bottom line is one can't argue physics when needed despite however much Micro 4/3 has come (and I still love my G1.) It's more than adequate for most applications no doubt but when a larger sensor is needed or wanted then you just need a larger sensor. Believe me the GF1 really made me want an M9 more for those instances.

Yes the Nikon D4 and Df are great/ capable cameras as well (although you can't adapt just about any lens ever made to it) but there's a forum to sing it's praises already.
You can't judge the MFT sensor performance based on a G1 : the E-M5 sensor was a game changer (and the following other bodies). Yes, the FF Sony sensor has 2 stops more DR compared to the E-M5, but the 6D DR is the same as that of the E-M5, so while the MFT sensors aren't the best in town due to their size, in matters of DR they can match many other actual cameras including all the Canon ones (second DXO ratings).

biglouis

I was a great supporter of m43rds but sadly I came to believe it is a technical cul de sac. De facto the physical sensor are can never increase and if after this long they cannot increase the pixel density because they cannot effectively control the noise at higher iso, then I am afraid they never will.

I used to think that 16mpx was enough for anyone then I made the mistake of owning the RX1 with 24mpx (let alone the DP2M/3M which create 47MB files). The ability to crop further than with a 16mpx sensor was a revelation.

Personally, with the arrival of the A7, which is not that much more expensive than an EM-1 and the ability to adapt pretty much any FF lens I cannot see why a new owner would start with m43rds.

Just my two cents and of course I expect sharp intakes of breath but remember I did own and publish and even sell some commercial photographs from my m43rds days so I am speaking with a little experience of the system.

LouisB

Annna T

I was a great supporter of m43rds but sadly I came to believe it is a technical cul de sac. De facto the physical sensor are can never increase and if after this long they cannot increase the pixel density because they cannot effectively control the noise at higher iso, then I am afraid they never will.

I used to think that 16mpx was enough for anyone then I made the mistake of owning the RX1 with 24mpx (let alone the DP2M/3M which create 47MB files). The ability to crop further than with a 16mpx sensor was a revelation.

Personally, with the arrival of the A7, which is not that much more expensive than an EM-1 and the ability to adapt pretty much any FF lens I cannot see why a new owner would start with m43rds.

Just my two cents and of course I expect sharp intakes of breath but remember I did own and publish and even sell some commercial photographs from my m43rds days so I am speaking with a little experience of the system.

LouisB
Well, I came to a different conclusion : the question is whether it is good enough for what one does. IMO, MFT is good enough for editorial jobs and up to A3 or may be even A2 (?) and I don't need more. I do also think that MFT has found the optimal compromise between size and IQ. I'm not so sure about the A7 given its flange distance : there are no wides available for the moment.. So I'm waiting to see what the system will offer in say two years. I was interested by an A7 to use it as a digital back for my Zeiss Contax G lenses, but it seems to produce magenta vignetting and smeared corners with the 28 and 21mm. So no, you can't adapt all lenses on it. It's not the holy grail, at least not for me. I'm too much invested in MFT now. May be I'll jump later when the system is a real one with a full lenses line and the size of the lenses doesn't defeat the purpose. If several lenses can remain in the 35FE range, then may be..

(Yes, I remember your pictures very well, you were doing great with MFT :))

W.Utsch

I am pleased to welcome you, Louis, on the Sony A's forum.

Expected you could not resist the A7, a very good decision you won't regret.

I have the same experience like you, my OLY stuff (EM5, all good lenses) sits on the shelf since i bought the RX1. Used the OLY to complement my Sigmas DPM's for people etc.
Now it is A7r and the Sigmas and i will keep the RX1.
I do not think that the IQ (not artistic oc) of the MFT's can compete with the Sony FF's.
But this is not the right forum for that discussion (MFT vs. Sony FF).

Annna T: Thanks for the compliments....and i think to ask what YOU need is a very good basis for decisions. And yes the EM's forum has beautiful photography, no doubt!

W.Utsch

Frankfurt/Main, Westhafen:

The slightly curved lines are not lens distortion but part of the building.
The DR and the possibilities in PP are enormous in these files. It is plain fun fun to work with these in LR (though LR have to improve)

elegil

A7r with FE55 is a great toy for night walks :)
With all the "esoteric" considerations around leica lenses, and beeing a "newb", i wondered if i had to buy a cron or lux but when i see what i have with the Zeiss, including AF when i am lazy, i have no regrets :)

800 iso, post process with nik and dxo

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you AnnnaT for the compliment. I did leave M4/3 a long time ago, although i enjoyed a whole range of M4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic for a long time. Same reason as Louis actually. Besides I do like to print big, so FF came as a saving grace in this small Sony camera.
The only other camera I could also buy in the near future would be a full frame Sigma Foveon sensor camera. Nothing can match these files in sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.