The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knorp

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

The "Studio Setup" made me do a small comparison.

Mounted the DP3M to the tripod. The pic taken with the Sigma was not lightened by an additional flash, it just got the light from the Lightbox. The Sony's used a wireless flash to give additional light from the top.
You have to take that into account when judging the pics. As the JEPEG compression via Flickr and the Forum.

Both Pics where brought to 6000x4000 24MP via LR and PhotoZoom Pro.

What do you think....??
Hi Werner,

I'd say the DP3M shows more defined detail: but how do you compare f/7.3 against f/16 ?
Isn't there a diffraction issue for the A7R, this way ?

Kind regards.

W.Utsch

Thanks Knorp for your comment.

This is by no means a "scientific" ( if there is anything like that) comparison, i used the opportunity just for fun.
There are by far too many variables and i would never intend to get them all equal (if possible at all).

Most important in this example is the light.

As said the Sony pic got some fill flash and the the DP3M just got the lightbox from underneath with the light shining through the leaves. This gives more contrast to fine structures and makes the Sony's pic a little flatter.
There are areas in the example pic where one or the other cam has its advantages ( at least on my 27' calibrated monitor with close examination side by side).

The Sony got more PP (sharpening , micro contrast), the DP3M almost no post processing (basic conversion in SPP, import to LR, enlarging in PhotoZoom, no sharpening etc)

I dont think, that diffraction plays a big role here because it is FF against APSC and the Leica Macro 60/2.8 lens is intended to be stopped down quite a bit (to get some DOF with macros).

For me it is a draw between the Sony and the Sigma.

Quite good for the DP, isn't it?

As others i am still waiting for a FF (DSLR, Mirror-less) Foveon.

BTW, the Sigma files print beautiful and big !
The Sony is oc. the much better cam overall.

My best regards...

Knorp

National Tulip day in Amsterdam.

Now, this shot reminded me of something ...

... a fairy tale of the Grimm brothers perhaps ?
:eek:

Michiel Schierbeek

Michael, any pointers on how to do this stitching so well?
This is simply done in Adobe photomerge from Bridge, but first I took care of all the differences because I did not in camera.
Matched the white balance and used all the same parameters, contrast, colour, local contrast, vivity etc in ACR. Even corrected the different exposures to match the three images, although PS does try to correct these differences automaticly.

If I would do pano's seriously I would do most in camera and use PTGui.

dunders

Subscriber Member

For once it wasn't raining, so I took the A7r for a coffee in Ramsey. It was pleasant to sit in the cafe and have the jpegs from the A7r upload themselves to the iPad, then to select a few for the Snapseed (over)treatment.

Well, the thread title *is* 'Fun with....'!

The Stanley Hotel (Tokina 3.5/17mm. PK)

View attachment 79602

Black Swans in the Harbour (Pentax 1.8/77mmLtd)

View attachment 79603

Bollard (Pentax 1.8/31mm Ltd)

View attachment 79604

Constant Friend (Pentax 1.8/31mm Ltd)

View attachment 79605

No Entry (Tokina 3.5/17mm PK)

View attachment 79606

scho

For once it wasn't raining, so I took the A7r for a coffee in Ramsey. It was pleasant to sit in the cafe and have the jpegs from the A7r upload themselves to the iPad, then to select a few for the Snapseed (over)treatment.

Well, the thread title *is* 'Fun with....'!
Did you use wireless import? I have been bugging Sony support to update the wireless auto import app for OS 10.9 so I can upload my A7R raw files wireless to my computer. They keep saying "very soon". I used this feature with my NEX6 under OS 10.8x and it worked very nicely, too bad it was broken with the OS update. I'm just tired of constantly pulling put the SD card to upload to the computer.

dunders

Subscriber Member

Did you use wireless import? I have been bugging Sony support to update the wireless auto import app for OS 10.9 so I can upload my A7R raw files wireless to my computer. They keep saying "very soon". I used this feature with my NEX6 under OS 10.8x and it worked very nicely, too bad it was broken with the OS update. I'm just tired of constantly pulling put the SD card to upload to the computer.
The wireless import works well to the iPad. I haven't tried to import wirelessly to the iMac: I import RAWs directly via the SD slot. Too much of a Luddite (or just too Manx[1]) to change my ways. ;-)

[1] how many Manxmen does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. We don't like change here.....

Luvwine

Here are a few from this past weekend. Was looking for waterfalls in cold weather....First is Rainbow falls (got a rainbow) with the A7r and FE 35. Conditions were tough with spray from the 125 foot falls freezing on the filter exterior.... Next is Cullasaja Falls with the FE 55. Finally, "Dry" falls, with the Leica WATE....All taken this past Saturday.

benroy

Subscriber Member

Minolta Maxxum AF 28-135/4 w/A7...taking the dead tree test.Features the 100mm-135mm end of the focal length range...very sharp, easy to handle...fine for contemplative photographers...but slow (maximum aperture f/4) and not a close focuser (min focusing distance: 5 ft/1.5m)...but for me...very nice walk-arounder.

Last edited:

Gbealnz

Since it IS fun, then why not. These guys moved into the paddock next door today, curious as heck.
Colour shot with a Sigma 19mm, in slight "zoom mode". Mono shot with the FE35mm.
Nothing flashy, just fun.
Gary

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Thanks, Ben. I seem to want to chop off that top balloon and crop it into a square. I'll try it black and white, too.

jpaulmoore

From my recent trip to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park with the A7r & Sigma 35mm lens. Stunning detail and loads of information in the shadows.
J. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.