The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

The Sony A7, and five Leica R lenses.

I'm going to call it. The search is over. This camera does what I wanted with these lenses. The search for ultimate image quality, whatever that might be, is never-ending if you let it rule your photographic efforts. I choose to say "I'm done", stop here, and get on with advancing my photos.

Now here's a grin that makes me laugh out loud.

Sony A7 + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8
ISO 2000 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60 sec

There are simply more important things in Photography than just more pixels, more resolution, more more more ...

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

f 10

f 1,0, just wondering do you have any issues with Magenta casts etc when using the 12mm Voigtlander with the A7r?
Of course I have also this color shift.
But I use the LCC function of C1-Pro, and works amazingly well.

Annna T

Oh yes ... riding a fixie I suppose the owner feels he's in control, but it would scare the bejesus out of me not to have a brake too. ;-)

G
With some old bikes you can back pedal and it will block the backwheel and thus allow bracking. We used to name it a "torpedo" brake (not sure whether the same word can be used in English).

Godfrey

With some old bikes you can back pedal and it will block the backwheel and thus allow bracking. We used to name it a "torpedo" brake (not sure whether the same word can be used in English).
That's a 'coaster-brake' hub. It is a hub which allows you to drive the wheel forward with the chain, coast and freewheel, and has an expanding shoe type drum brake built-in, activated when you back pedal. The Schwinn Sting Ray I had when I was 8 years old had one of them.

Here's a wikipedia discussion of the coaster-brake:
Bicycle brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are not as effective as a front wheel brake but better than nothing. :)

jonoslack

I'm going to call it. The search is over. This camera does what I wanted with these lenses. The search for ultimate image quality, whatever that might be, is never-ending if you let it rule your photographic efforts. I choose to say "I'm done", stop here, and get on with advancing my photos.

There are simply more important things in Photography than just more pixels, more resolution, more more more ... .
HI Godfrey - I'm glad you've got there . . . . . . . . . . . but I seem to remember reading that before somewhere!

All the best

mazor

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

wow "photo retouch" app in nex 5r lets me adjust colors, contrast etc, crop and save out a JPG.

sony nex 5r with sal 18-200mm

in camera processed JPG!

impressive old toy this is.

Ben Rubinstein

That's a 'coaster-brake' hub. It is a hub which allows you to drive the wheel forward with the chain, coast and freewheel, and has an expanding shoe type drum brake built-in, activated when you back pedal. The Schwinn Sting Ray I had when I was 8 years old had one of them.

Here's a wikipedia discussion of the coaster-brake:
Bicycle brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are not as effective as a front wheel brake but better than nothing. :)
I remember them, I think a lot of BMX bikes had them when I was a kid. Still prefer the disk brakes on my bike though :D

Ben Rubinstein

Third set…

Whisky again

Shot with the CV Nokton 50mm f1.5 ASPH II (M mount) adapted with a Voigtlander M-NEX adapter
First picture that I have ever liked the rendering from that lens. I usually find it flat and lifeless but this image is anything but!

dchew

Sorry for the overused subject matter, but this was at ISO 3200.

a7r, Canon 90 f/2.8 ts, metabones...

Did I mention ISO 3200? :)

Dave

J

JohnW

The Sony A7, and five Leica R lenses.

I'm going to call it. The search is over. This camera does what I wanted with these lenses. The search for ultimate image quality, whatever that might be, is never-ending if you let it rule your photographic efforts. I choose to say "I'm done", stop here, and get on with advancing my photos....
A good feeling, no doubt. A real milestone. Now put on blinders and stick with what matters.

BTW, really enjoy your blog.

John

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Don't tell me I'm the only one who remembers coaster brakes!? Just pedal backwards; it'll stop - unless the chain derails :)

Dave

PS: That's probably the reason for the weird toe-clips too, since it is a pain to rotate the pedals around to the right spot.
To be clear Dave this bike has no coaster brake...it is as Godfrey mentioned a fixie...more like direct drive you pedal forward it goes forward try to pedal back like a coaster brake and it drives the wheel in reverse...so yes it will stop the bike but more like an ice skater slamming to a stop skidding on their edges. Got to be really good and have a bit of room if you need to stop in a hurry or you go down...hard.

Actually it has two hubs ... one a free wheel and the other a fixie...just reverse the wheel in the back triangle and you change how the bike works...but no real brake with either.

The key is the wrench mounted on the down tube...allows you to change the wheel any time you need ... either to fix a flat on the trip or to convert fixie to free or back.

See here: Guy Gear: Fixed-Gear Bikes - AskMen

Lots of fun but more like having a Porsche 356 to drive on Saturdays...unless you are a bike messenger who follows the mantra - "Ride it like you stole it!"

Sorry for the diversion....back to the pics

Bob

Annna T

To be clear Dave this bike has no coaster brake...it is as Godfrey mentioned a fixie...more like direct drive you pedal forward it goes forward try to pedal back like a coaster brake and it drives the wheel in reverse...so yes it will stop the bike but more like an ice skater slamming to a stop skidding on their edges. Got to be really good and have a bit of room if you need to stop in a hurry or you go down...hard.

Actually it has two hubs ... one a free wheel and the other a fixie...just reverse the wheel in the back triangle and you change how the bike works...but no real brake with either.

The key is the wrench mounted on the down tube...allows you to change the wheel any time you need ... either to fix a flat on the trip or to convert fixie to free or back.

See here: Guy Gear: Fixed-Gear Bikes - AskMen

Lots of fun but more like having a Porsche 356 to drive on Saturdays...unless you are a bike messenger who follows the mantra - "Ride it like you stole it!"

Sorry for the diversion....back to the pics

Bob
Plenty of pictures of Torpedo brakes here and yes this corresponds to what you name coaster brakes..

Ben Rubinstein

There is an old abandoned shuk that they built as an indoor alternative to the outdoor one in Jerusalem. It was abandoned almost immediately and to date has been still accessible, covered in a thick layer of dust. I had been there in the summer to take this photo as part of a project I'm working (slowly) on.

5D3 with 16-35LII

It was pouring today and although I'd wanted to go to a beautiful area called Nachlaot to explore the use of focal lengths within portraiture it wasn't on the cards. Instead I thought I'd take them here. Well we got there to find out that all the stalls have been torn down and there's white sheet metal walls along all the corridors. Loving the opportunity to be able to teach the concept of making the best of your location I did the lesson here.

Anyway, long preamble to my first non test shot using the OM 21mm f3.5 on the A7r. Tiny lens. Same size as the adaptor! Can't tell much about the IQ from an iso 5000 shot handheld under awful fluorescent lighting wide open. I keep getting my finger in the shots though, lens really is that tiny!

Molly, A7r, OM 21mm f3.5​

Godfrey

A good feeling, no doubt. A real milestone. Now put on blinders and stick with what matters.

BTW, really enjoy your blog.

John
Thank you John. My wordpress blog has been neglected for so long ... sigh. I may start over again. :)

G

Status
Not open for further replies.