The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

There is an old abandoned shuk that they built as an indoor alternative to the outdoor one in Jerusalem. It was abandoned almost immediately and to date has been still accessible, covered in a thick layer of dust. I had been there in the summer to take this photo as part of a project I'm working (slowly) on.

5D3 with 16-35LII

It was pouring today and although I'd wanted to go to a beautiful area called Nachlaot to explore the use of focal lengths within portraiture it wasn't on the cards. Instead I thought I'd take them here. Well we got there to find out that all the stalls have been torn down and there's white sheet metal walls along all the corridors. Loving the opportunity to be able to teach the concept of making the best of your location I did the lesson here.

Anyway, long preamble to my first non test shot using the OM 21mm f3.5 on the A7r. Tiny lens. Same size as the adaptor! Can't tell much about the IQ from an iso 5000 shot handheld under awful fluorescent lighting wide open. I keep getting my finger in the shots though, lens really is that tiny!

Molly, A7r, OM 21mm f3.5​
These photos look just fine at this size. How do they look full screen?

scho

A few shots taken today with flat, pre-snow storm lighting using the A7R and Leica R 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit. Still waiting for a proper adapter so used a Leica R to LM (Fotodiox) + M to E (Phigment) combination for these shots. A bit loose, but otherwise OK. I tried a metabones R to E (too tight) and Fotga (loose and wobbly), so hopefully the Novoflex that is one the way will be OK. Corners are a bit soft, but passable.

jaree

A7 + Mamiya 645 150 3.5. I am really liking this lens despite poor flare resistance and some purple fringing (easily removed in post, didn't do it here due to sheet laziness). And at the price I got it ($65 in excellent condition) it is a steal.

This is a ~ 25% crop of the full image.

-- Eeraj

David Teo

First picture that I have ever liked the rendering from that lens. I usually find it flat and lifeless but this image is anything but!
Thanks! I think it's also a combination of the ambient light sources. It's backlit behind my dog, and behind me is another giant source of natural light from outside the building, which serves to light her in a beautiful way. f1.5 does the rest! :D

David Teo

Hi

A few more pics…..

Supertrees at Sunset

Taken with the Nikon 24mm f2.8 - was playing around with the Creative styles (sunset mode) - apparently it seems to be carried over into the RAW files (I shoot only raw) - Lightroom 5.3 has some of the in-camera profiles (e.g. clear, natural, vivid etc)

Couple with phone

Shot with the el cheapo SAL 85mm f2.8 SAM "easy choice" lens as defined by Sony - I quite like the look produced, even if it is not the sharpest lens around. Because I have to use it with the LA-EA4, the focus, though noisy, is pretty fast. And phase detect focus means the camera does not try to re-focus every time you press the AF button if the distance is the same. I should try more SAL lenses with the A7!

When the Horse arrives, success is guaranteed

28-70 FE Kit lens - the title is a (funny) translation of the Chinese words on the left :p

Three Heads

Sony 28-70 FE kit lens - I love using it on the 28mm (in my opinion, where it is best. It's pretty weak at 70mm focused to infinity though…..)

Last edited:

Godfrey

This afternoon's coffee break extravagance ...

Sony A7 + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8
ISO 6400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60 second

(I could only eat about 1/3 of that cake without risking hypoglycemic shock!)

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

David Teo

Hi

Some more - Just realized I am posting a lot of A7 pictures used a lot on tripod but that's not quite the normal way I use it!

Traffic Trails

Nikon 24mm f2.8 AFD on the A7

Fireworks marking the start of the Chinese Lunar New Year

28-70 FE Kit zoom - forgot to pack the wider Nikon 24mm….. urgh.

Horses at the Crossroads

28-70 FE Kit zoom

Traffic Trails 2

SAL 85mm f2.8 SAM lens with the LA-EA4 adapter

Light Show at Gardens by the Bay

CV Nokton 50 f1.5 ASPH II M mount on the A7 - long exposure.

Ben Rubinstein

This afternoon's coffee break extravagance ...

Sony A7 + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8
ISO 6400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60 second

(I could only eat about 1/3 of that cake without risking hypoglycemic shock!)

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.
Moderators, can Godfrey please be warned for posting such NSFD (not safe for diet) images on a public forum?

scho

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Trying out the Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 Sonnar on the NEX5N-IR. The white stuff is back again today.

Shac

Took the A7 & kit lens out for a winter hike in the local mountains - lowest temp was -10 C. Camera on my pack strap with a camera clip (Peak Designs) - so open to ambient temp the whole day - no problems.
Cold enough for this raven to allow a close approach without food enticement (shot at 70mm)

mazor

Scho, did you get your Nex sensor modified for IR? or did you just put and IR filter in front on the lens?

scho

Scho, did you get your Nex sensor modified for IR? or did you just put and IR filter in front on the lens?
I had the NEX5N converted for IR by Digital Silver Imaging two years ago.

nostatic

turn-and-burn from LA to SJC for work. Always fun when your meals are in an airport. Or not...

scho

One more with the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar on the NEX5N-IR. Both of the Sonnars seem to perform well in IR, so I think I'll take the little NEX5N along with the A7R when I'm in sunny, central America next month.

Michiel Schierbeek

Status
Not open for further replies.