The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

New arrival: FE 24-70/4. First pic not with but of the new lens.
First impressions are very promising, more to come

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

We want images . Lol

Seriously this lens is on a lot of folks checklist and any test shooting would be great.

Or you can just send to me and I'll give it a full run. I'm so bad. Lol

W.Utsch

OK, Guy
i didn't wanted to post these, but before i have to send the lens to you....:D

Remember we have to pay a 30%+ premium here in Europe with Sonys 1:1 USD/EUR exchange rate, thats why we get it early..

First tests, shot just out of my window all RAW, LR5 to Flickr no PP:

@ 50mm

@70mm

@70mm

@24 mm

same as above - JPEG out of cam, all corrections to ON

Sorry about the boring subjects... but no time for doing better.

First impressions:

Very good OSS, near silent
Not to heavy or to big..
AF: good for me

Very sharp in the center and middle parts quite good in the corners
Strong distortion, cleans up nice in Jpegs and with a LR profile to come.
Extremely low CA

More pics to come, hope to get out tomorrow, though the forecast says rain...

PS: All pics @100% via Flicker, if you like.

Guy Mancuso

Looking pretty good . 24mm looks pretty heavy distortion but a easy fix in post. 70mm looks pretty dang good in center and edges/corners not bad at F4 from what I can see. Thanks for getting these up.

Now tell those Germany builders to start using a level when building . LOL

Actually that is the real charm of those old towns in Germany. Been there and want to go back.

Looking pretty good . 24mm looks pretty heavy distortion but a easy fix in post. 70mm looks pretty dang good in center and edges/corners not bad at F4 from what I can see. Thanks for getting these up.

(..)

+1 Thanks a lot for those really revealing pictures and useful information, very much appreciated!

tashley

Subscriber Member

+1 thank you very much! Hungry for more info and views, especially if you have a view as to how the corrected files look compared to, say, the 24-70 F2.8 'trinity' lens on a D800!

Knorp

In case folks here have not seen this. Some reactions on 24-70 from Paul Richman. Paul is a good guy and if I can paraphrase, he thinks the 24-70 is good but not great. Needs stopping down to F11 to get reasonably sharp corners.

A7r: FE 24-70mm F4 Tests: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
What a disappointment, I had such high hopes for this lens ... :(
I wonder what's going on here ? Is it a poor job by Zeiss ? Or is it the A7/R cripple design ?
:wtf:

mazor

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

nice scho,

here is some I took using the 40mm penf 1.4. It is such a cheap easily available lens and works really well on the NEX

Luvwine

It is early yet and software corrections are not yet done for this lens, which will help a lot I suspect. Seems like more and more lenses are being made with the assumptions that the problems will be fixed in post--either by in camera fixes or in LR/ACR. Size has to provide some difficult constraints. I also suspect it is very difficult to design a good normal zoom. How many great ones are there? Canon's 24-70 2.8L-II is the only one I know of. Canon's 24-70/4 zoom is good, but not great. Perhaps this will be along the same lines?

Guy Mancuso

The best mid range zoom ever made was the Leica 35-70 2.8 R. I had one cost almost 7k. The next Leica r 28-90 cost about the same. Leica S 30-90 cost 10k anything less than these every mid level zoom will be average or slightly above most will suck at the extreme wide end of it and also distort. These are far tougher lenses to design than the longer ones like a 70-200 since they always incorporate wider than 35mm which is a tougher design to build within a certain budget range. The Leica glass above is big , heavy, expensive but built with the best in class in mind. Nikon, Sony, Canon and others will not build a lens design that is anywhere near those qualities and expense, that's a given. You want a great 24mm than buy a prime no zoom will be better in overall performance. Maybe the best zoom around these days within reach is the Nikon 14-24 but even that has issues. We can't expect Sony to build a 24-70 that is anything like there 55 1.8 which technically is a much easier design to build within a certain budget range. Can you get a nice zoom sure but you will never get one in overall performance to match a prime. This has been my opinion for 38 years and it has not changed one bit. YMMV

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I had a visitor this afternoon - actually a pack of coyotes but only one came out of the bush for a clear shot. 70-400G, ISO 1600, hand held. Foggy because it was snowing hard and shot through heavy thermopane glass at an acute angle!

Godfrey

Godfrey

I have to say ... I'm still just blown away with both how good the sensor in this A7 is and how well it matches the Leica R lenses. This triptych with the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, at least two of them at f/1.4:

The full rez images are simply astonishing with how much detail they capture.

Godfrey

W.Utsch

i agree fully with Guy.

The 24-70 is absolutely to my expectations.
Distortion is the only problem but with a LR profile coming that problem is gone for me.
Thats why i posted the ooc Jpeg @24 with the in cam corrections applied.

I want to remember that an extremely good reviewed lens like the Pana 7-14 MFT uses heavy software corrections.

All my Canon L Zooms show similar distortion with less sharpness.

PS: The LR profile for the Sony Zeiss A Zoom 24/70 works not bad with the new lens, that shows that this lens has some smiler distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.