The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: The New Fun with Sony A7 & A7r Thread

The last one Bart, which building? I know my city well but I don't recognise this.
Lovely architectural detail!

f/otographer

re: Fun With Sony _____

Would love to hear your experiences with the sharpness and corners stopped down for both your 18mm Godfrey and your 17mm f/otographer. Great pics both!
Ben, I have only just come into possession of the Tokina so I will have to do some more shooting to see how the corners hold up. Its decently sharp wide open in the center and one stop down it sharpens up very nicely.

The top pic is uncropped with little or no sharpening applied, so that can give you some idea of corner performance. To be honest I would be surprised if this lens ranks among the world class performers when it come to sharp corner wides. But I can already tell that for what I am looking for (and especially what I paid) it will be just fine. I have never been critical of corner performance in my art since I dont usually have any major thematic elements in the extreme corners. But if I was shooting for critical or paid client work then it would be a different story.

Knorp

The last one Bart, which building? I know my city well but I don't recognise this.
Lovely architectural detail!
Hallo Michiel,

it was shot through an attic window of a 5-star room in the Lloyd hotel.

Detail crops (100%) of the tower:

Kind regards.

Kamoulox

Dogs? Where are they?? (A7 with Sony zeiss 55mm)

Last edited:

m_driscoll

From last weekend. The old "New Isis" movie theater in Fort Worth Texas, near the stock yards. A7 with Sony 28-70mm "kit" lens.

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:

pegelli

An exposition (during the build up phase) in the Cultural Center of Hasselt (Belgium)

1: Boxed

2: Boxed 2

3: Windmills

All 3 A900 + Min O 35/2

pegelli

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

They were complaining in the "Fun with a7(R)" thread that there were too few cat pictures in the other Sony threads :lecture:

So meet Bert :

NEX6 + Olympus OM 135/2.8

pegelli

Thanks Werner, appreciate it.

To finish my Cat mission in Sony threads :salute:

Bert with the A850 and Minolta Original 35/2:

Michiel Schierbeek

Pegelli, perfect. Excellent composition!
+1 Nice work!
Who is the exhibitor? Did find out myself already. Luc Coeckelberghs and invited artists.
I see there i s an upcoming exhibition of Awoiska van der Molen.
She makes intriguing analoque nightshots in black and white.
We shared the same Gallery in Amsterdam.

pegelli

+1 Nice work!
Who is the exhibitor? Did find out myself already. Luc Coeckelberghs and invited artists.
Thanks Michiel, appreciate it. Glad you found the reference, I would not have known it because the reason we were there was the opening of the Krokusfestival with the premiere of the Fabuleus production DUB (Our youngest daughter is part of the cast). We had to wait until the theatre was opened in the area where they were building the exhibition and just used these empty 10 minutes to my advantage :angel:

pegelli

From last weekend. The old "New Isis" movie theater in Fort Worth Texas, near the stock yards. A7 with Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8.
Great series Matt, Lovely building and I like how you've used the harsh sun/shadows as a strength :thumbup:

Only wonder about the exifs, they all show a focal length of 28 or 31 mm, and I didn't know the CZ E 35/2.8 had zoom capabilities :loco:

Annna T

Well, the Elmarit-R 19mm is on the way, but I happened to be at the camera shop today. Glancing into the used gear department, I saw a very good looking Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S. My curiosity was piqued, I remember this as being a darn good lens once upon a time. I asked my buddy there what they would take for it. He quoted me an absurdly low price... Oh, piffle.

Now I'll be able to compare the two lenses when the Elmarit arrives.

I think it does rather well*on the A7, at least wide open and at close range. I'll have to see how it performs at greater focus distances. And, of course, I have the Nikon F to use it with if I ever feel like shooting some film. ;-)

fun fun fun ...
enjoy!​

I own a similar glad/cup and couldn't resist showing it :

Sorry for that, but I still haven't decided whether to get an A7/7r or not, so this is just a casual shot taken with an iPhone 5 sometimes ago.

Is your glass/cup straighter at the bottom ? Mine is larger at the bottom, offers better stability :)

BTW nice series of shots, I like the first two (coffee top and and the glass) and also the first picture of the man and lap top, but the second one is not too flattering for him.​

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Stuff that pays the bills. This is for a Tuxedo and Gown catalog for Choir type stuff.

Shot with 5 strobes 2 on the background to make cutout easier than 2 soft boxes and a spot diffused on the clothing from the front.

Shot with the A7r at F10 85 1.4 ZA and Manual focus. One of my points about AF and ZA glass is evident here . i can't get the AF box high enough to hit her face only gets to about the chest area and with garments that have no contrast to AF off of, the lens will just hunt. Solution go manual bump up the focus mask to medium and when I see her eye light up Im nailed in on focus. This is a case where the focus peaking really works since i really don't have time to zoom in and focus. Now any other AF system the same issue would happen if you can't get the AF box to go that far up. On the Sony the FE lenses WILL go that high but given the Sony Adapter 4 designed from the A99 tech it will not. Here we need two things from Sony a better designed ZA to E adapter to take advantage of the FE lens and cam capabilities and of course all new FE glass with a good amount of primes. Until than these are the limitations we face in regards to AF capabilities. Not a deal breaker and i did very well here with manual focus and honestly AF might of helped slightly but given a different situation this could have been tough to do. This needs to be addressed.

I should mention here the target audience is not high fashion but schools and church groups deciding on what the choir wears which is very basic designed cloths and inexpensive. Like I said it pays the bills, keeps a steak in my mouth and a bone for the dogs. LOL

Another solution but did not use it was I could have shot the 55mm FE lens or better yet if I had the 24-70 on hand i would have certainly used that. Why I asked on another thread how is 70mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.