The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: The New Fun with Sony A7 & A7r Thread

Me too Ben. The ZA 85mm 1.4 of today is very nice indeed but this limitation will strike others in a similar situation where you can't get the AF point high enough. Wedding shooters immediately comes to mind. This is one of those lets band together and hammer it home to Sony. This one in my mind is the most serious limitation i hit yet on these systems but funny its not much talked about. I think this is a classic example here posted of that limitation.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

BTW i know this is a fun thread but I felt a good place to post this for folks as the audience is big and needs to know about this.

mazor

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

pegelli the cat is really letting it's paw hang low, lovely pic.

So are you acquired a 40mm 1.4 penf ? The additional of another adapter is minimal in size, and it is very cheap. I would recommend you just leave the adapter permanently attached to the 40mm, and as you acquire more pen f lens, just get more adapters as required.

mazor

captured this yesterday in a cafe while testing my old Elmarit R 135mm using SB on my Nex 5r

I had forgotten how easy it is to manual focus this lens. Subjects literally snap into focus

Ben Rubinstein

Me too Ben. The ZA 85mm 1.4 of today is very nice indeed but this limitation will strike others in a similar situation where you can't get the AF point high enough. Wedding shooters immediately comes to mind. This is one of those lets band together and hammer it home to Sony. This one in my mind is the most serious limitation i hit yet on these systems but funny its not much talked about. I think this is a classic example here posted of that limitation.
That much focus recompose should not be a problem at studio apertures.

pegelli

So are you acquired a 40mm 1.4 penf ?
Unfortunately not, those pics were with a loaner. So far I only found a PEN-F 42/1.2 in a bit beat-up condition (glass was clean) but they still wanted 550 € for it, so I let it pass for the moment.

Lovely pic with the Elmarit R. I had one on my R3 30 years ago, liked it a lot but it got stolen in Greece in '84 or '85 (together with the body, a cron 35 and a Macro 60). That was the unfortunate end of my R-system. :mad:
However the good thing that came from it is that I switched to Olympus OM, and kept all those lenses and they are now in use on my NEX's

Godfrey

re: Fun With Sony _____

Is your glass/cup straighter at the bottom ? Mine is larger at the bottom, offers better stability :)
LOL! Are we to start another competition on glass mugs now? "Mine's prettier than yours...!" ]'-)

The set I have tapers at the bottom. There's a certain amount of foreshortening with this short a focal length that exaggerates it. I think they're beautiful ... :)

.. BTW nice series of shots, I like the first two (coffee top and and the glass) and also the first picture of the man and lap top, but the second one is not too flattering for him.
Thank you! Yes, he was becoming irritated ... and the wide angle distortion conveyed it well.

G

Godfrey

re: Fun With Sony _____

I took out the Nikkor 18mm f/3.5 AI-S and the Nokton 40/1.4 MC this morning.

Did most of the shooting with the Nikkor. It produces good results wide open and excellent results at f/8, good at infinity although I think it sings best a bit closer in. I think this lens is a winner … what's going to be interesting is whether the Elmarit-R 19mm is noticeably better performing.

A page with links to a few full-size JPEGs for your entertainment … https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/sonyA7-nikkor18mm/index.html

I have a little less enthusiasm for the Nokton 40. It's very nice on center but does not have the crisp focusing feel of the Nikkor 18, never mind any of the Leica R lenses. There's some minor corner smearing visible in photos which have fine corner details. However, it's a very handy size and weight, could be a good lens when I want a lighter, small camera. I'll do some more shooting with it.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Guys, we're trying to keep all of the Fun-With threads into single threads so folks can compare images directly. It gets tough to have multiple fun with threads every time a new version of a cam comes out. So ths Fun with A7/A7r thread one is getting merged into the main fun with Sony thread.

Thanks,

Godfrey

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Thanks Jack. It's nice to have just one "fun with" thread to have to keep up with ...

G

m_driscoll

Great series Matt, Lovely building and I like how you've used the harsh sun/shadows as a strength :thumbup:

Only wonder about the exifs, they all show a focal length of 28 or 31 mm, and I didn't know the CZ E 35/2.8 had zoom capabilities :loco:
Pegelli: Sorry, my bad. It was the Sony 28-70mm zoom. This was shot with the Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 :eek:

Cheers, Matt

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Another experiment with the Expodisc and Adobe Flat Field plug-in (AFF), this time with 28mm f2.8 Hexanon-M on A7. The lens doesn't smear in the corners but adds a blue tint, which AFF removed entirely. I like a bit of vignetting and had to add some!

Kirk

VeryPlainStreet by thompsonkirk, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.