The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nostatic

Re: Fun With Sony _____

local farmer's market, rare rainy day. A7r/24-70. Have to admit that I prefer the 55/1.8 just from a handling perspective.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Nice - and I agree on the handling. But you don't have to give up too much IQ when you use the zoom IMHO - what do you think?

nostatic

I find the IQ to be pretty close, especially in reasonable light. I've compared it at 35mm with the 35/2.8 and 55mm with the 55/1.8. While not "magic" like the 55/1.8, it is in the ballpark, which is saying something. For me the big win on the 24-70 is OSS so I can do handheld video without looking like I'm having a seizure.

I really wish there was an 85/1.8 or 100/2 FE lens (or a 100/2.8 macro would be awesome). The 70-200/4 is just crazy big for the body and I have some doubts about the robustness of the lens mount. I have some flex, and I think the bigger the lens, the more that might prove to be a longer-term issue. The good thing is with the A7r you can crop like a madman and kind of cheat your reach. Same with the RX1r.

tashley

Subscriber Member

I totally agree. But I do find it sometimes rather 'unexpected' in that it has slightly varying field curvatures at different apertures and so for some scenes, depending where you place focus and what focal length you've chosen, you can get a great result but for other scenes with other focal lengths and points of focus, it can look like a less good lens. Still figuring it out!

nostatic

One thing I notice is that as you zoom longer, AF performance suffers. I find it tends to hunt a lot at 70mm, while at 24mm it is quick. Kind of annoying as the main reason i got it was to work at the extremes since I don't have primes there. No perfect solution. Though of all things, the RX10 is an interesting camera to me. Though hard to go backwards in sensor size and resolution. Once you've been to the city...

Did my first shooting today with the 24-70 at a local market event. Weather truly sucked reg. photos.. cloudy and foggy. Never the less I had zero complaints about the gear. Just need to get more mileage on it to get my A-game on :) it was great that I could even properly shoot with my gloves on! Shot mostly around F8, but also at F4. Mostly at either end of the range and also some around the 35 mark.

Quick view on the 13" retina and they were looking all fine. Tried Tim Ashleys sharpening settings, which also seemed to work great. I'll try and post some tomorrow.

//Juha

benroy

Subscriber Member

I really wish there was an 85/1.8 or 100/2 FE lens (or a 100/2.8 macro would be awesome). The 70-200/4 is just crazy big for the body ...

May I suggest you try the Minolta 100/2.8 AF macro lens...sterling sharpness...the 50/2,8 macro is also an excellent lens.

The Minolta 70-210/4 "beercan" might make your toes tingle...it also is AF. I have posted examples of all three lenses in this forum...back a few pages.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Godfrey

Re: The New Fun with Sony A7 & A7r Thread

It's not just a version of a cam which made the A7/r different, it's a very different type of camera, a new genre and I honestly believe deserves its own home.
Oh, perhaps I misunderstood. Jack, is the intent to lump *all* Sony models together into one fun with thread ... NEX, SLT, SLR, and A7/A7r?

I think that's a bit of a hodgepodge. I'm interested to read others' experiences with the A7/A7r and see posted photos using various and sundry different lenses. What someone does with a NEX 7, for instance, is in a different format compared to what I have on my camera; what lenses and techniques work best for NEX are not relevant to A7/A7r usage. I'm not sure how relevant the SLT and SLR info is.

G

Knorp

I believe it was his choice to leave not the mods.
Hi there Guy, thanks for shedding some light on this little sad mystery.
I've not been in contact with Vivek since, so I'm left in the dark for what has happened.

Kind regards.

kuujinbo

Re: The New Fun with Sony A7 & A7r Thread

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood. Jack, is the intent to lump *all* Sony models together into one fun with thread ... NEX, SLT, SLR, and A7/A7r?

I think that's a bit of a hodgepodge. I'm interested to read others' experiences with the A7/A7r and see posted photos using various and sundry different lenses. What someone does with a NEX 7, for instance, is in a different format compared to what I have on my camera; what lenses and techniques work best for NEX are not relevant to A7/A7r usage. I'm not sure how relevant the SLT and SLR info is.

G
Thank you, thought I was the only one with those thoughts...

To go one step further - think about how this may put off potential new members. For example, someone thinking to upgrade from XXX camera to Sony A7[R] (or Fuji, which also was merged). It's hard enough to find pertinent information within a specific thread, much less a thread that lumps all Sonys together. If I were a new potential user, that may even **gulp** drive me somewhere else like dpreview...OK I admit, nothing would drive me that mad. ;) Seriously though, this will get progressively worse. What happens when the A6000 comes out next month?

Agree with Godfrey's reasoning - how about separate threads based on camera group - I.e. "Fun with.." DSLR; FF; APS-C; compact? Or some other grouping the admins come up with?

Just my 2¢, not trying to be negative or critical.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I'll be critical . Bad call from my seat. Sorry

I only have interest in the A7 and A7r. I honestly don't care to see A900 and A99 stuff as that is not my interest. I see no reason not to have multiple camera threads as long as it is Sony and falls under the Sony forum. Leica has separate threads if I recall.

Sorry I don't agree with Jack on this one. That's what best friends are for. Lol

jaree

My 2c: Better to keep the A7/R thread separate. My sole reason to visit the Sony forum was the separate thread on the A7/R. Given that these are game changers (at least for some of us), the thread should be kept separate for now. It can be merged later after a few months.

ZoranC

IMHO if one is to use these threads as a research tool to compare and discuss model vs. model then we should have one thread per model. Otherwise task is impossible and person gives up.

Personally, I vote (if it was up for voting) for thread per model. But to play devil's advocate, with our tendency to post results that are not SOOC research has been already made impossible for all practical purposes.

I'm also in for separate threads. APS-C stuff is vastly dofferent from the A7-series ff mirrorless as are the FF slr bodies. I think the splitting factors are something like nex/aps-c, full frame e-mount and then A-mount. Within A-mount it makes sense to have both aps-c and ff in the same as they share the mount and are likely to be pitted against each others.

With nex vs A7's, whilst sharing a mount, it's not so likely.. fex price difference is so big. And upgraders already know their nexs, so they'd be ineterested in A7's only?

And on top of that, just from a popularity point of view the A7's are the hit potatoe at the moment.. so maybe good for the forum to keep them nice & visible :)

//Juha

m_driscoll

I voted for a separate thread a few days ago. At this point, A7/A7r, SLR, and APS-C might make sense. Although, the new A6000 probably deserves it's own thread. I like to see, compare, and discuss like photos and cameras in a common thread. I don't think the new 24-70 zoom should be in a Sony "Zoom Lens" thread.

The forum didn't seem "broken" to me?

Cheers, Matt

nostatic

I would say:

A7(r) forum
SLR forums (both FF and APS-C?)
axxxx (NEX and new APS-C compacts)
RX1(r)
RX10/RX100 (1" sensor)

Could combine the A7(r) and RX1(r) as they are the same sensor family and have a similar vibe. Plus there doesn't seem to be as much activity with the RX1(r).

W.Utsch

Would vote, if possible, for separate threads as well: APSC,FF E-Mount, A-Mount.

"Lights and Frames"

Status
Not open for further replies.