The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwinrao1

Re: Fun With Sony _____

That was fast. No offense to anyone here, but I really missed seeing shots from your "main" camera on your Flickr stream. ;)
I loved the A7 and the RX1R before it...In fact, I could see myself getting an RX1R down the road, but for now, I wanted to try something new (as metioned, the Fuji X-T1)....I like the size and dial implementation in theory, and I hope that it will be a camera that gets out of the way.

I put down the Sony for a few additional reasons.
1. As Keith mentioned, I need to shoot my MM and M9 more...they do best with M lenses. The Sony will suffice but really works best with the FE lenses
2. I miss manual aperture dials, to be honest. It's actually why, in retrospect, I preferred the RX1R to the A7...though I did like the A7's EVF implementation better.
3. I like trying new things. While I adore the A7's IQ, which is close to faultless, I am always interested in trying new gear, and only a few pieces of kit ever really stick for me...in my case, the MM, M9, and 645D are long term propositions...

Anyways, I will be testing out the Fuji for a while. I had a year with the XPro-1, so I am familiar with the issues there. Ultimately, we are all looking for that perfect camera for us. If I didn't have the M system, I think I would have gravitated to the A7/R and just been done with it, to be honest, but that M system needs more use, and Fuji offers a new opportunity to explore and see the world in new ways.

I will keep my eyes peeled over here, and I presume I will be back soon enough lol...know thyself, or so they say

Knorp

Lightship

Lightship & Faralda NDSM Crane hotel

| leica vario-elmarit-r 1:2.8-4.5/28-90 asph | a7r |

mazor

a7r with 10-18 as FF lens, at 13mm. Please note the defects
Wow, the lens does not vignett much considering you are using it in full frame mode, but what is of interest is the magenta cast like on the left hand side of the image?

Godfrey

Wow, the lens does not vignett much considering you are using it in full frame mode, but what is of interest is the magenta cast like on the left hand side of the image?
It's there on the right too.

Interesting that you can get that much coverage out of the lens anyway. I bet imaging quality is degraded as you get out to the corners/edges, but eh? so what? Make great photos with it! :)

G

mazor

It's there on the right too.

Interesting that you can get that much coverage out of the lens anyway. I bet imaging quality is degraded as you get out to the corners/edges, but eh? so what? Make great photos with it! :)

G
What is interesting is that the 10-18mm lens can fill the 35mm frame and does not exhibit massive vignetting like some APS-C lens do on a FF camera.

m_driscoll

A few shots with the new zoom during breaks in the continual rain.

Sony A7; Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 66mm, 1/160s, f/8, ISO 100

Sony A7; Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 70mm, 1/250s, f/8, ISO 100

Sony A7; Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 24mm, 1/400s, f/8, ISO 100

Sony A7; Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 24mm, 1/400s, f/8, ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

darrellc

What is interesting is that the 10-18mm lens can fill the 35mm frame and does not exhibit massive vignetting like some APS-C lens do on a FF camera.
I bought the 10-18 today at the Seattle Sony Store which is slated for closure - they had all their display stuff at 20% off. Figured it was worth a try until an FE AF or Zeiss MF WA zoom or prime comes out and won't take much of a loss if I resell.

Took a few pics of sky and trees in both crop and FF mode and zoomed in on the LCD. Very little vignetting and on the LCD I couldn't see any color shift at 14mm in FF mode. 13-16mm looked pretty good. 10mm is pretty useless FF, but even 18 is worth shooting FF and cropping. Based on the LCD zoom, edge smearing at all focal lengths, but only in maybe the last 10% of the frame. My Oly 21/3.5 isn't really that much better in that respect.

Crop mode leaves a lot of good pixels unused.

The lens hood is incompatible with FF.

Kind of wish I had the A7R for this lens - 10mp crop feels like a throw back to old school digital.

I'll try to take the tripod out and shoot some test shots to share here shortly, if life allows.

Ben Rubinstein

5 Leica 'fun with' threads on their front page. 4 Pentax, 3 panasonic, 2 medium format. But Sony and Fuji have been had all their threads merged into one per section. Worse for the Sony because unlike the X cameras, the Sony cameras, DSLR vs Mirrorless really are very different types of camera. Can I respectfully ask again for us to be allowed an A7/r thread so that we are not treated differently than the other forum subsections?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

5 Leica 'fun with' threads on their front page. 4 Pentax, 3 panasonic, 2 medium format. But Sony and Fuji have been had all their threads merged into one per section. Worse for the Sony because unlike the X cameras, the Sony cameras, DSLR vs Mirrorless really are very different types of camera. Can I respectfully ask again for us to be allowed an A7/r thread so that we are not treated differently than the other forum subsections?
Ben send Jack and Bob a note. There not reading this and I totally agree with you 110 percent . This merging is a stupid ****ing idea. Not when it runs rampant in all the other forums. Makes zero sense to me.

That goes for everyone. Complain or it will never happen. Strength in numbers and all that jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.