The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazor

Re: Fun With Sony _____

I bought the 10-18 today at the Seattle Sony Store which is slated for closure - they had all their display stuff at 20% off. Figured it was worth a try until an FE AF or Zeiss MF WA zoom or prime comes out and won't take much of a loss if I resell.

Took a few pics of sky and trees in both crop and FF mode and zoomed in on the LCD. Very little vignetting and on the LCD I couldn't see any color shift at 14mm in FF mode. 13-16mm looked pretty good. 10mm is pretty useless FF, but even 18 is worth shooting FF and cropping. Based on the LCD zoom, edge smearing at all focal lengths, but only in maybe the last 10% of the frame. My Oly 21/3.5 isn't really that much better in that respect.

Crop mode leaves a lot of good pixels unused.

The lens hood is incompatible with FF.

Kind of wish I had the A7R for this lens - 10mp crop feels like a throw back to old school digital.

I'll try to take the tripod out and shoot some test shots to share here shortly, if life allows.
wow, excellent report! Did you try stopping down the lens to say f5.6 or f8 from the ranges of 13-16mm? If you can get that 10% of corners to sharpen up in full frame mode, I think this lens would be the ideal Full frame alternative ultra wide for the A7(r)!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

We merged them because we were asked to by several readers in this very forum, simply because it was getting difficult to keep track of the image threads and folks preferred to see all images together.

We also merged all Leica M several months ago, there were 3 of them. But since Leica has so many different cams, we have 3 categories, M, Monochrome and now X -- and X is relatively new and gets low traffic, so I'm not sure how long it will stay there. The others are with L glass on other cameras, and frankly gets low traffic, but folks wanted a separate thread so they post about glass.

We've long ago merged all the Nikon. The problem is we can't keep up with folks wanting to initiate a thread for every camera out there. If we don't merge, then the old camera fun with images get lost ten pages back in the forum and nobody looks at them.

Final problem is small cams can be put in Leica or Sony or whatever as appropriate, OR put into the appropriate small camera area, but for whatever reason folks that own a small Lecia feel they need to post in the Leica section; while folks that own small Sonys or Nikons post mostly in small cams. Too many options as cam makers spread their product line.

Bottom line is no matter what we merge or do not merge, how we manage and whatever decisions we make, folks are going to bitch about both sides of it, so we can't win. And I'm not going to try to. If you don't like it the way it is, sorry. And I can assure you there's no way to undo it anyway.

End of the day, I'm getting pretty tired of complaints about the little things, and it makes running this site not much fun. We do our best to keep this entire forum easy to read, easy to navigate, easy to use, and most important, friendly. We make our decisions with all that in mind and implement what we believe will work best for the largest percentage of participants.

ZoranC

We merged them because we were asked to by several readers in this very forum, simply because it was getting difficult to keep track of the image threads and folks preferred to see all images together.
I am sure those that have asked have their preferences. I just wish rest of us were given a chance to give input before preferences of those that might be in minority were enforced on all of us.

BTW, personally I don't feel multiple image threads would be increasing "difficulty", quite the opposite, I feel that putting every into same pot is what increases difficulty, cacophony of Fred Miranda's Alternative Gear forum is reason why I don't visit there much.

End of the day, I'm getting pretty tired of complaints about the little things, and it makes running this site not much fun. We do our best to keep this entire forum easy to read, easy to navigate, easy to use, and most important, friendly.
I am sure administering forums is exhausting (think positive: at least membership here is mature, imagine administering DPR) and we are appreciative of your work but when it comes to forums I feel their purpose is to serve needs of "customers". Also, I don't see our really mild expressing of opinion about thread merge as "complaints about little things" (by that token those that asked for merge were complaining about little things too) and hope this post won't be thought of as a big deal.

tashley

Subscriber Member

My 2 cents, since everyone else is chipping in: threads should be merged, for the reasons Jack states. The issue is, when? It's a judgement call, based largely on when the first blush has gone off the rose of a new camera. And that's a matter of opinion that I am happy to leave to the mods and the balance of feedback they get.

As long as people take care to annotate their postings with relevant info, it's easy enough to parse a thread for stuff that's relevant to me.

ZoranC

As long as people take care to annotate their postings with relevant info, it's easy enough to parse a thread for stuff that's relevant to me.
I sincerely doubt everyone would be finding having to weed through posts for relevant ones as easy as you feel it would be for you. If I was late adopter having to go through hundreds of posts making sure I am looking only at model(s) I am interested in would be very slow and cumbersome for me which means I would very quickly give up in frustration over time and effort wasted and abandon that thread, that thread would become worthless to me.

Godfrey

Personally, I think it's very odd to mix all camera formats and types into one picture thread based on brand. That makes it difficult to see the photos made with a particular camera without searching through the entire long huge linear thread of hundreds of photos, or find a photo that you know was made with a particular camera at some other time after you first saw it.

But whatever. I'll post in whatever thread seems apropos at the time.

G

ZoranC

Personally, I think it's very odd to mix all camera formats and types into one picture thread based on brand. That makes it difficult to see the photos made with a particular camera without searching through the entire long huge linear thread of hundreds of photos, or find a photo that you know was made with a particular camera at some other time after you first saw it.

But whatever. I'll post in whatever thread seems apropos at the time.

G
Maybe we can come up with compromise solution where admins can have their cake and we can eat it too? One top level thread for whole site, maybe on front page, like a photostream, that is showing chronological photo posts from all per-model threads, so those that just want to enjoy photos can find them all at one place, and then each forum having official per-model threads that will be automatically feeding top level thread?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

There is no logic available for the forum software to drive one post to two different locations.

I will discuss with the owners. But at this point I'm tempted to no longer merge as it's a lot easier on us. If you start a new thread and it moves to page 10 and dies, so be it. If a thread that was very active dies and moves 10 pages out because the camera got old, that's just too bad. In this, only new camera threads will stay on the first page. I am fine with this.

ZoranC

There is no logic available for the forum software to drive one post to two different locations.
I though that might be the case but you must admit if one could have merged stream on front page it would be rather cool :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I will discuss with the owners. But at this point I'm tempted to no longer merge as it's a lot easier on us. If you start a new thread and it moves to page 10 and dies, so be it. If a thread that was very active dies and moves 10 pages out because the camera got old, that's just too bad. In this, only new camera threads will stay on the first page. I am fine with this.
That is the natural order of threads in general. If it's still relevant than it stays near the top when camera x comes along than the old one may very well die. Who cares but it is reference for people in time to look back and see if it is a viable solution to them. My vote let it be. I personally only want to see relevant threads that are current and what I'm interested in. If it does not than oh well. I have many threads I started that have died but people go back and search them out as well. It's still relevant data to look to search and look back on. Just my opinion.

jaree

Agree with Guy.

And another note: I find Google much better to search this forum than the forum's search. When I was looking for Guy's Leica S2 review, I searched in Google "guy manusco leica s2" (yes I did spell the last name wrong in Google, but the dam'ed thing corrected it) and it brought up the relevant thread I wanted in the #1 position. When researching Mamiya lenses, Googling "jack getdpi mamiya lens" and **bam**!! found it first page, first result.

Moral of the story: Let the stale threads die, no activity then it dies and it makes sense. Google will bring it back to life if needed. Better than sorting through Sony A900 posts when looking for Sony A7.

BTW - Don't take my post as a negative. I really like GETDPI and wouldn't have cared to post this if I didn't.

camping

This thread discussion makes me think of the biblical thread in the sky.
Some people will remember it! Some thread!

All the best,

Paul

m_driscoll

Texas.

A7, Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, 1/1000s, f/3.2, ISO 100

A7, Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, 1/100s, f/3.2, ISO 100

A7, Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, 1/60s, f/3.2, ISO 1600

A7, Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, 1/640s, f/3.2, ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Also, Texas.

A7, Sony 28-70mm, 28mm, 1/800s, f/3.5, ISO 100

A7, Sony 28-70mm, 70mm, 1/320s, f/5.6, ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hey folks, start any new thread and call it anything you want. Fun with Sony and cheeseburgers, and we'll let it run. No more merging of any kind saves us hassle. If a thread dies, it dies, regardless of how many good or worthwhile longer-term images are in it. We're good with that as it saves us a tremendous amount of work. Clearly it's not too late to start a new dedicated fun with A7 thread, as that's what you all seem so upset about.

Status
Not open for further replies.