The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsng

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Some more great images N S Ng,
The black and white image and ladder reminded me of Sebastio Salgado and the Brazilian gold miners.
Keep them coming.
Cheers Barry
Hi Barry,

This place is Merkato in Addis Ababa. It is supposedly the largest market in Africa. But to me certain parts looked like recycling centres. Things which we would send to the landfill are recycled, repackaged and resold.

Last August when I was in London, I went to see Salgado's Genesis exhibition. Powerful images.

N S Ng

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Shot a gig today of BLUE palm Trees. Not your normal Palm Tree. Still have more to shoot tomorrow. But I shot this with the Sony 20mm at F9 with the A7r and 4 strobes. I am after a little flash look to make the Palm stand out. I'm about 15 ft in the air standing on a 8 ft platform in the back of a pickup. Extremely steep driveway.

Last edited:

W.Utsch

Two from my last trip to Tuscany:

The first one is an anonymous colleague.

The second shot "Cupola" is a 5 images stitch (handheld), 4 to each side one shot of the middle, with the ZE 18/3.5. It was pretty dark and i had to use ISO 5000 to get reasonable shutter and aperture.
The stitched image has 150 MP and could be printed in native resolution (240 dpi) 1,25 m by 1,25 m (ca 50x50 inch)
The detail (see at Flickr) in the mosaic is fantastic.

"Looking For Light (Battistero, Firenze)"

DSC06506.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

"Cupola Del Battistero, Firenze"

DSC06511 Panorama-3.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Barry Haines

Two from my last trip to Tuscany:

The first one is an anonymous colleague.

The second shot "Cupola" is a 5 images stitch (handheld), 4 to each side one shot of the middle, with the ZE 18/3.5. It was pretty dark and i had to use ISO 5000 to get reasonable shutter and aperture.
The stitched image has 150 MP and could be printed in native resolution (240 dpi) 1,25 m by 1,25 m (ca 50x50 inch)
The detail (see at Flickr) in the mosaic is fantastic.

"Looking For Light (Battistero, Firenze)"

DSC06506.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

"Cupola Del Battistero, Firenze"

DSC06511 Panorama-3.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
KUDOS Werner, :cool:
As if 18mm wasn't wide enough! :D
Not sure I have seen a 7.15mm wide angle shot before on the A7R...Now I have. :)
My poor little Android Nexus 7 shrieked and went into hibernation at the very thought at downloading 12709 x 12205 pixels from Flickr.
Cheers Barry

Hi Barry,

This place is Merkato in Addis Ababa. It is supposedly the largest market in Africa. But to me certain parts looked like recycling centres. Things which we would send to the landfill are recycled, repackaged and resold.

Last August when I was in London, I went to see Salgado's Genesis exhibition. Powerful images.

N S Ng
Many thanks N S Ng for the extra information, it's always nice to have a bit more background information, it makes the story complete. :)

Sebastião Salgado is a marvelous photographer that has my utmost respect...I travelled to London in the early 90's to see his "Workers" Exhibition and later on to see the "Terra" Exhibition, Poweful images as you say...I do have a soft spot more for his earlier work if I am to be honest (Tri X film and Leica M6 and R6.2 cameras...Probably because I was using the same back in those days) as those images are more subtle than the more recent over-dramatised (over cooked) digital stuff...Just a personal preference of mine not everbody's I know.
What's more important is that he puts his photography to good use for the planet and those who live on it.

Anyway I am very much enjoying youre images at this moment in time...Keep them coming. :thumbs:

Cheers Barry

Last edited:

bcm

Nice photos, do you use A7 or A7r? Wich lens?
Thank you.

I use an A7R. The first shot is with a Nikkor 85 f/2 AI-S that I've borrowed from a friend. I have a ZM 85 f/2 that I normally use but I wanted to see how much of a difference there is in performance.

Second shot is my trusty ZM 50 f/2 Planar.

jfirneno

Hi John
Sorry I meant to get back earlier to you regarding your post.
I think that was a great little book if I remember correctly "Tales and legends" that I read as a child (suitable for both adults and children alike...Even better than Game of Thrones IMO) when my parents used to bring me down to St Ives on holiday in the mid 60's.
(BTW. The weather was good in those days or at least how I remember it - it was, but then I was only a kid and my memory is hazy now)

I managed about 5 years ago to pick up a very early edition of Robert Hunt's collected stories "Popular Romances of the West of England" or also known as "The Drolls, Traditions, Superstitions of old Cornwall"...If I remember correctly a lot of the stories from "Tales and Legends" were taken from it...But BEWARE some of the other stories from the original will scare you to death :shocked::shocked::shocked:...Definitely not all the stories are suitable for children.
Cheers Barry

Well Barry, I was reminded of this post when my copy of Robert Hunt's Cornwall book arrived. I also remembered that I wanted to make a link back to photography to keep the post legit for this thread.
"Photography
Hunt took up photography with great zeal, following Daguerre's discovery, developed the actinograph and introducing business processes. His Manual of Photography (1841, ed. 5, 1857) was the first English treatise on the subject.[3] Hunt also experimented generally on the action of light, and published Researches on Light (1844)."

Regards,
John

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I hired a new assistant today. Getting really tired of all the moaning and groaning that I don't feed them enough on the job. So I hired Chewy here what a great assistant only eats grass and just wants to hang around. One problem though he likes to be in the shots a little to often. But he is free what can I expect. LOL

Zeiss 25mm F2/A7r

GetDPI new Mascot: Chewy

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member

couple of shots from a Hamptons site we are working on, sea grass "implants" still young

Barry Haines

Well Barry, I was reminded of this post when my copy of Robert Hunt's Cornwall book arrived. I also remembered that I wanted to make a link back to photography to keep the post legit for this thread.
"Photography
Hunt took up photography with great zeal, following Daguerre's discovery, developed the actinograph and introducing business processes. His Manual of Photography (1841, ed. 5, 1857) was the first English treatise on the subject.[3] Hunt also experimented generally on the action of light, and published Researches on Light (1844)."

Regards,
John
Many thanks for that information John...I was totally unaware that Robert Hunt of Cornish folkiore fame was also the very same Robert Hunt known for the actinograph.
I do actually have an interest in early photographic history and have a fairly decent library of old photographic books, yet I never made the connection!
In the 80's I used to coat my own papers with various old types of photographic processes and make contact prints from my 14x11 Field camera and 10x8 Gandolfi traditional camera negatives.
Cheers Barry

W.Utsch

Thanks everybody for your comments and the likes to the Cupola shot.

I was heading south to my home in Switzerland and going further south to Italy next week again. Hope to bring some decent shots back...:)

Shot this when i arrived on Lake Lugano from my balcony

"Pine And Lake"

DSC07496.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

nsng

This is a b&w image with rays of light filtering through the clouds over the Northern Ethiopian landscape,

Status
Not open for further replies.