The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglouis

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

^^^^ Barry Haines - 'King Arthur's Hall' ^^^^

I've never regretted selling my WATE - but this is the first time I've felt a twinge.
Great stuff.

LouisB

Viramati

Re: Kings Cross, London - but not as you know it

Kings Cross, London - but not as you know it. Literally within a few hundred yards of two major transport hubs in London.

Such beautiful light, this early Autumn afternoon.

St Pancras Old Church, graveyard, Sony A7+CV Ultron 21/1.8

St Pancras Old Church, graveyard, Sony A7+Minolta M-Rokkor 28/2.8

Camley Street Nature Reserve, Sony A7+FE 55/1.8

Regent's Canal, Sony A7+CV Ultron 21/1.8

Regent's Canal, Sony A7+FE 55/1.8
great set and know the area well

Viramati

I've never regretted selling my WATE - but this is the first time I've felt a twinge.
Great stuff.

LouisB
Ah the WATE is a lens I don't think I would ever sell, so small with great performance especially on the Leica M

Barry Haines

Great stuff.

LouisB
Many thanks Louis,
I thought you owned the WATE in the past but wasn't absolutely sure.
I would be loathed to be without the WATE on the A7R as it's a decent enough SWA zoom but if something better came along I would jump ship I suspect.

BTW. I'm currently stuck in a Hotel in Somerset with the most appalling internet speed that you could possibly imagine:cussing::cussing::cussing:, I will upload my next images when I get back home.
Cheers Barry

scho

Trying an old LF Nikkor-SW 65mm f/4 on the Cambo Actus with A7R. ISO 100, f/11, about 2 degrees tilt for DOF and 7 degrees shift for two shots stitched.

k-hawinkler

Ah the WATE is a lens I don't think I would ever sell, so small with great performance especially on the Leica M
I agree. My WATE also works so well on my M9, A7R, NEX-7, NEX-5N, E-M5, and E-M1. :D

Early Light over the White Rock Rio Grande Canyon

A7R + WATE

Last edited:

Slingers

Re: Fun With Sony _____

I received my SEL70200G today and went out just before the sun set. Just yesterday my tamron 18-200 died and so this is now going to be my telephoto.

pegelli

Good deal Slingers, that lens seems plenty sharp wide open, but I bet it's a bit heavier then your Tamron 18-200. I especially like the colours of the last. You might be able to get the sheep pictures a bit more punchy contrast wise, even though they are quite sharp they look a bit flat the way you posted them now. Still the second one is a nice and simple portrait.

Slingers

Good deal Slingers, that lens seems plenty sharp wide open, but I bet it's a bit heavier then your Tamron 18-200. I especially like the colours of the last. You might be able to get the sheep pictures a bit more punchy contrast wise, even though they are quite sharp they look a bit flat the way you posted them now. Still the second one is a nice and simple portrait.
I agree. The bottom two I used a standard preset of mine and the sheep a preset I created for the FE 35/2.8 as the sonnar has crazy center sharpness. I was battling the light and needed to be there an hour earlier. It's times like that I wish for a full frame camera in my hands. The FE 70-200/4 is about twice the size of the tamron and heavier but not too bad. All these were shot hand held and it wasn't awkward. I didn't know its an internal zoom. One odd thing was I found the zoom ring too close to the camera.

pegelli

@ Slingers, when I want/need Full Frame I have an A850 which is still an awesome picture taking machine, albeit heavy as an anvil. That has stopped me so far getting an A7 (of any variant) and stick with my little NEX6 that is small and light and therefore gets more hours out with me. If I go the A7 road I'm mostly thinking about an A7s, the ultra high ISO and silent shutter all appeal to me, only the price is a serious letdown :banghead:

@Malina DZ, what a beautiful clock and well shot. I like the 3 details with limited dof along the bottom very much. The main picture could maybe benefit from a focus stack to get the angel's leg sticking out in front in focus as well, but that will require quite a bit of extra work, both shooting and PP.

pegelli

Two from the beach in Knokke last week.

Clouds

Building a new pier

Both NEX6 + E16-50PZ

MikalWGrass

Great shots all. Glad to see activity on this thread.

Yesterday evening while playing hopscotch and basketball with my 7 yr old daughter, I told her that I wanted to get a camera to take pictures of her. She said "no, stay here with me." So I did. Alas, no pics to post of Lola playing hopscotch and / or basketball. Instead, they are in my mind. And I got to play hopscotch with my 7 yr old.

biglouis

Can I just say that I sold my WATE because side by side with my CV Heliar 15/4.5 on my Leica M8 I could not see any difference. That may be because I suspect I rarely used it at anything less than f8. What I could see in the WATE was quite a bit of CA of objects against the sky, which surprised me but which I could always fix in post. The same is true of the 15/4.5.

Anyway, when it got to the point that I could sell the WATE for about six times the price of the Heliar 15/4.5 it was a no brainer. I've also been using the 15/4.5 on my A7 and it works great.

That is why, until I saw Barry's captures I really did not regret selling my WATE. And I really would not think it worth purchasing just for the A7/r alone. It will be interesting to see, with all the in lens and in camera corrections just how good the forthcoming 16-35 will be.

That said I am so enamoured of my CV 21/1.8 I'm unlikely to buy the new Sony 'WATE'.

LouisB

Last edited:

Malina DZ

The main picture could maybe benefit from a focus stack to get the angel's leg sticking out in front in focus as well
Thank you for a nice feedback pegelli. Focus stacking wasn't even in my mind while trying to stabilize the shot at iso1600 and 1/13sec :) I made museum security nervous enough getting so close with my camera to the clock and shooting every bit of it.

Godfrey

Sony A7 + Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8
ISO 160 @ f/5.6 @ 1/200 second

A thread on telephone booths on another site reminded me I had this one marked as 'interesting' in my library. :)

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Slingers

Some comparison shots

FE 35/2.8, FE 55 1.8, FE 70-200/4

Tamron 18-200, Canon 17-40 with adapter, FE 70-200/4

*Sorry about the distortion, i couldnt get rid of it completely and also the best attempt cut some of the lens off.

Status
Not open for further replies.