The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

scho

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Peeling Paint. Abandoned house near Buttermilk Falls. A 6 shot stitch with A7R+Actus+Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm f/6.8.

Barry Haines

This file looks exactly like what came out of my Sigma DPm2. Funny.
Michiel...EXACTLY? :confused:
Link please Michiel (You have me very curious now) as I "NEVER" intentionally intend to copy anybody else on this forum (I would credit the photographer if I ever did)...A WATE fitted to a Merrill would be funny indeed. :LOL:
BTW I thought you never came to England because of the tabloids :grin: this was taken in Truro Cathedral, Cornwall, ENGLAND.
Tonemapping and HDR is pretty standard these days when used in dark buildings like churches etc. If only to help get over DR problems, ie. trying to balance details in bright colourful church windows with the dark shadows. Photomatix does have a particular signature all of it's own, so did you tonemap or HDR your Merrill shot?
I effectively tonemapped this twice (Blending the same Photomatix image with the sepia SE Pro2 image) with just a single exposure as I had no tripod to take multiple bracketed HDR shots...Cheers Barry

Last edited:

W.Utsch

Barry, did you tonemap a single exp. (don't know if that is possible) or did you "develop" different exp to make a (pseudo) HDR?

Barry Haines

Barry, did you tonemap a single exp. (don't know if that is possible) or did you "develop" different exp to make a (pseudo) HDR?
Hi Werner,
Yes it's a single exposure tonemapped image...The latest version of Photomatix allows you to tonemap single exposures (see dialog box on the left before proceeding).
You don't have to open up multiple bracketed shots...I do this regularly as I can't abide carrying around a tripod any longer (it stays in the car).
The very earliest Photomatix (version 1) was a plug-in filter to Photoshop and worked on single shots only and not multiple bracketed images.

I will just add that "EVERY" image that I have ever uploaded to date on this forum was made from a "Single" image.
I have done in the past Photomatix HDR multiple exposures but you have not seen them yet.

Barry Haines

Thanks, Barry have to try that...

I do hope you give it a try Werner, as I know you like to experiment as I do...Tonemapping may not perhaps be as accurate as HDR imaging but in a lot of situations it can look pretty well as good as IMHO, with the added bonus of not always having to carry around a tripod.

Tonemapping is a form of pseudo HDR imaging (High Dynamic Range). It only needs "ONE" set of colours to work on to map out an image to give the appearance of high dynamic range.
Tone mapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Tone mapping is a technique used in image processing and computer graphics to map one set of colors to another to approximate the appearance of high dynamic range images in a medium that has a more limited dynamic range."

Whilst on the other hand - HDR imaging (High Dynamic Range) tends to blend 2 or more images together that cover the full range of luminosity.
High-dynamic-range imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"High-dynamic-range imaging (HDRI or HDR) is a set of techniques used in imaging and photography to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity than possible using standard digital imaging or photographic techniques."

But I am sure you already knew that ;)
Simply open your single image into Photomatix Pro (Stand alone version) and select Tonemapping on the left hand side and away you go...Cheers Barry

Taken a few hours ago on the south coast of Cornwall...This is the ancient fishing village of Polruan (Opposite Fowey).
As usual I didn’t have my tripod with me but was lucky enough to find a secure fence to rest my camera on as the light was disappearing fast.
This time I managed to get away with a 4 second exposure at F8 and 50 iso (BLENCOMO treatment).

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel...EXACTLY? :confused:
Link please Michiel (You have me very curious now) as I "NEVER" intentionally intend to copy anybody else on this forum (I would credit the photographer if I ever did)...A WATE fitted to a Merrill would be funny indeed. :LOL:
BTW I thought you never came to England because of the tabloids :grin: this was taken in Truro Cathedral, Cornwall, ENGLAND.
Tonemapping and HDR is pretty standard these days when used in dark buildings like churches etc. If only to help get over DR problems, ie. trying to balance details in bright colourful church windows with the dark shadows. Photomatix does have a particular signature all of it's own, so did you tonemap or HDR your Merrill shot?
I effectively tonemapped this twice (Blending the same Photomatix image with the sepia SE Pro2 image) with just a single exposure as I had no tripod to take multiple bracketed HDR shots...Cheers Barry
No worries Barry :p
Let's not get things complicated because of the word exactly. I am not talking about the subject, but the type of file the texture and the colours, the brown/greenish colour temperature and the somewhat harsh sharpness of it reminds me of the DP2m files.
Dpm files look tonemapped by themself at least that is my impression by their sheer sharpness and somewhat false colours. Let's say they often tend to go in the sepia direction. Brown/greenish
In the end I was not very happy with their colour rendition, at least if you want to get the colours right which was a hard job on those files also in landscapes, although I loved the sharpness especially for texture.

So all I am saying is that in my humble opinion your treatment resulted in something that looks like a dpm file. Tonemapping and sepia :)

Annna T

Taken a few hours ago on the south coast of Cornwall...This is the ancient fishing village of Polruan (Opposite Fowey).
As usual I didn’t have my tripod with me but was lucky enough to find a secure fence to rest my camera on as the light was disappearing fast.
This time I managed to get away with a 4 second exposure at F8 and 50 iso (BLENCOMO treatment).
Nice picture Barry !
If you allow me one question : why did you chose such a long exposure ? Was that in order to smooth the clouds and water ?

From what I read concerning the A7r sensor, I would have picked ISO 200 or 400 and given your distance and the performance of the 55mm I would have opened at F4, or even wider @ F 2.8. Especially since you didn't have a tripod along with you.

Plus @ ISO 50, you loose some DR and I don't think that you get less noise. The optimal performance is reached at ISO 200 with that sensor.

I'm sure you know all that, hence my question.

W.Utsch

Barry, i did a quick test of the tone mapping in Photomatix, though nothing to post yet it looks promising. I only did "real" HDR's so far but not too many...

"Cascades From Below"

DSC00499.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Barry Haines

Nice picture Barry !
If you allow me one question : why did you chose such a long exposure ? Was that in order to smooth the clouds and water ?

From what I read concerning the A7r sensor, I would have picked ISO 200 or 400 and given your distance and the performance of the 55mm I would have opened at F4, or even wider @ F 2.8. Especially since you didn't have a tripod along with you.

Plus @ ISO 50, you loose some DR and I don't think that you get less noise. The optimal performance is reached at ISO 200 with that sensor.

I'm sure you know all that, hence my question.
Many thanks Annna T...Always happy to answer (sensible) questions as yours is :)

I tried various EV combinations as the light was getting dimmer...I think I took around 40 images in all!
I first started out with a more sensible choice of aperture/shutter speed with a faster ISO and then experimented seeing just how slow I could get the shutter speed down to by simply hand balancing it on top of the fence.
On inspection at home I decided to go with the smooth water image (4 seconds was the maximum I could hold it still).
Comparing the SOOC jpg shows much lower noise than the final finished processed image that you see here (BLENCOMO treatment increases it somewhat).
I was unaware that you loose DR at 50 ISO + Surprised that the optimal performance for the A7R sensor is at 200 ISO (I must admit pixel peeping that’s not my experience in daylight). Although I was aware that thermal noise starts coming into play at low EV’s. (I live and learn - Thanks).

To be honest I'm not so hung up about "Noise" as some others are here...In my Leica M and R days I used to deliberately enhance the acutance of film grain (Tri-X and TMax 3200) by developing in Agfa Rodinal and making small prints.

No worries Barry :p
Let's not get things complicated because of the word exactly. I am not talking about the subject, but the type of file the texture and the colours, the brown/greenish colour temperature and the somewhat harsh sharpness of it reminds me of the DP2m files.
Dpm files look tonemapped by themself at least that is my impression by their sheer sharpness and somewhat false colours. Let's say they often tend to go in the sepia direction. Brown/greenish
In the end I was not very happy with their colour rendition, at least if you want to get the colours right which was a hard job on those files also in landscapes, although I loved the sharpness especially for texture.

So all I am saying is that in my humble opinion your treatment resulted in something that looks like a dpm file. Tonemapping and sepia :)
Worried! :confused: :toocool: ”Similar” type of file then :poke:

Barry, i did a quick test of the tone mapping in Photomatix, though nothing to post yet it looks promising. I only did "real" HDR's so far but not too many...
Werner, very nice picture :thumbup: I always like longish exposures with fast moving water, glad you had a go at the Tone mapping...Cheers Barry

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

Pushing the limits a bit . . . but it was too good to miss.
a6000 with Minolta reflex 500, 1/1000s, f8, ISO3200

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.