The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irenaeus

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Spring!

Thanks so very much for posting this Vivek ~ it makes me very happy to see them and reminds me of the first luscious spring I'd had after three years with the Marines in a stateside, semi-arid landscape. I'd returned to my native Ohio and stumbled into an intensely fascinating close encounter with a small clump of crocuses. I really wanted to remember them and the occasion, didn't own a camera, and only wanted to find the words to do them justice. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, and it's not all that much, but this is what I came up with:

purple crocus flames
in struck green candelabra
set in harsh brown brittle leaf
and fragrant loam

Irenaeus

Beban

Because of increasingly serious tendinitis, I'm having to give up my heavier Nikon bodies and move to a lighter camera.

I want to pull the trigger and buy the Sony Alpha a7ii, but I also have about $2500 invested in the Nikon SU-800, three SB-910s, and four Radio Popper wireless transmitters that I use with the Nikon D7000s.

My question is, will the SU-800 (thus, everything else) work with the Alpha a7ii, or do I have to invest in a whole new lighting/wireless setup?

I couldn't ask at Nikon, since I'm dumping their cameras, and the Sony website is the least customer friendly of any I've seen. B&H Photo didn't know, so I'll have to ask where I can.

If this is not an appropriate question, or you can suggest a better place to post it, please delete and suggest an alternative. Thank you.

V

Vivek

Because of increasingly serious tendinitis, I'm having to give up my heavier Nikon bodies and move to a lighter camera.

I want to pull the trigger and buy the Sony Alpha a7ii, but I also have about $2500 invested in the Nikon SU-800, three SB-910s, and four Radio Popper wireless transmitters that I use with the Nikon D7000s.

My question is, will the SU-800 (thus, everything else) work with the Alpha a7ii, or do I have to invest in a whole new lighting/wireless setup?

I couldn't ask at Nikon, since I'm dumping their cameras, and the Sony website is the least customer friendly of any I've seen. B&H Photo didn't know, so I'll have to ask where I can.

If this is not an appropriate question, or you can suggest a better place to post it, please delete and suggest an alternative. Thank you.
Hi, Unfortunately, you will have to dump all the Nikon flashes and accs. Your best option is with a Phottix Mitros + and additional flashes that work with radio contact than optical communication (better). There are other possibilities and are discussed in separate threads (scroll down this page). Luckily, in my case, I only had a SB800 and few SB-24s and SB-14s (these are manual only variety). This is a key aspect when switching systems but unfortunately not discussed often as lenses although they can be quite costly on their own.

JMaher

Unfortunately switching camera systems still means switching flash systems today. You can use a Nikon flash on camera in "auto" mode which works surprisingly well but that's about it unless you want to use the flashes manually. I have have used an old SB-28 on my A7r in "auto" mode at a party with surprising good results.
Jim

biglouis

I am beginning to like this weird little camera - Sony A7s - it really shines with primes like the m-summicron 35/2.

Only problem with this photograph is that now I am obsessing about getting some beigels but I can't get there until tomorrow.

You can see the full exif on Flickr

MikalWGrass

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Malina, did you stop by Laurenzo's for a cup of coffee after the visit to the Italian Monastery? Had the best italian ices there years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.