The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

My most expensive A7 cam. Hacked for Ultraviolet captures and that is what I had with me yesterday.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Hacked A7, Ultraviolet capture, The Hague

Malina DZ

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Interesting observation Malina, but isn't that something that can easily be solved by a different default raw conversion? At least in Lightroom I'm using different defaults conversions between my different cameras to have a more or less consistent starting point between them.
I haven't developed a custom preset for each camera+lens combination because I'm pretty much very confident and satisfied with color accuracy of the LR default (adobe standard) starting point (for a100 & a850). I tried different color profiles and custom actions, but they don't work for the same cam+lens combo in different shooting environments for me. BTW, I tried to match the colors of a100 & a850 in the test shots I shared and could not achieve it completely. The color difference between a100 & a850 could be called "negligible", but it is huge when you compare either one of those discontinued cameras to the newest model, a77 mkII.

V

Vivek

Kind of looks like what will happen when the ozone layer breaks down...:cry:
Not a problem, Carlos. At ground level, cars (emission/ particulates) protect us better than Ozone for blocking UV. ;) Paris, very little UV. The Hague, a lot of UV.

V

Vivek

I was thinking about a famous quote from a colorful former prez about chopping down all the trees that are the biggest polluters (CO2 emission). :D

pegelli

Thanks for the explanation Malina, I don't have an A77ii but sometimes think I should get one just so I can continue using my A-mount lenses on a native A-mount camera. However as long as my trusty A850 keeps clicking I probably won't take the plunge. Maybe I'll have to steer towards an A99 then (or A99ii)

Here's an example from last weekend with my A850 and an el-cheapo Helios 44-2 (a Russian 58/2 Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar clone with M42 thread). This shot is at f2.8, nothing to complain about for the 25 UK pounds I payed for that lens I think

pegelli

Hope so too Malina, although mine needed a 600 € repair of the AF unit a couple of month ago :(

Shot with the same combo as pictured in the last post on page 134 (A850 + CZ135/1.8)

A sea of bikes:

Strategy for finding your own bike back

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

P,

My a900 isn't worth 600 Euros, though I wish it was. I had to buy the battery grip to power the machine because the camera's electronics shut down at one of my son's first swim meets.

I would like to pick up the a77II but after Molina's review, I just don't know. I could use the extra reach and AF speed and tracking ability, but not at the loss of color.

Ah the ZA 135/1.8 - a real beauty, no?

Mikal

pegelli

Agree Mikal, that ZA 135/1.8 is a wonderful lens. Every time it gets used it delivers.

Don't know about the A77ii, I didn't like what I saw in Malina's post but on the other hand I've seen many great (and colourful) pictures posted with it. I think flatter files "out of the box" are the price you pay for higher DR, but I also think that with the right raw converter workflow you should be able to get good results that are equal (not necesarily the same) to the A850/900 output. Fortunately I don't have to decide now but I can understand that with the state of your A900 it's getting closer to decision time. How about an A99 or an a7II (with LA-EA4 adapter)?

Status
Not open for further replies.