The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormvogel

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Stray cat on bicycle.

A7R II fe 90mm 1/400 F2.8 100 iso.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Same street, a little further

A7r FE 55mm F1.8 1/80 F5.6 ISO100

Rue de l'Industrie, Sion _ 20140412_094s-2
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate your comment, because I have doubts about the framing. This version is a cropped one. There is another version, of which I like the top, but the flowers at the bottom are a little unbalanced.. I'd be curious to know what you and others think of it. May be that I should have kept this tension between the top and bottom...
Or I could also crop the flowers and keep only the top square.. So many possibilities and I'm never sure of my choices.

Rue de l'industrie, Sion - 20140412_094s
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr
Hi Annna, just my take amongst a myriad probably of many others I expect...but for my own personal taste I much prefer the simplicity of the first image ;)
I find the other external elements dotted around the wall just too distracting and not really adding anything to strengthen the o/a image any further, I’m sorry to say but others may disagree with me :(
What they do do in a good way is make the viewer question the reason of why you should bother to include them in the first place, which in turn obviously helps stimulate a discussion that holds your attention longer :)
The main point and strength of the image for me lies in the juxtaposition of the 2 main elements and that is the real poppies outdoors at the base of the image together with the synthetic candlestick holder indoors behind the window :)
Personally I think I would have been tempted to crop perhaps even tighter still the first image, to just include the 5 blind slats above the top of the lamps leaving out the distracting reflection in the window. I think I would have also toned down the gravel base very slightly to add a stronger foundation to the image that more closely replicated the base of the window frame...just my 2 pence worth as you wanted feedback ;) ...Cheers Barry

Looking from Port Gaverne towards Tintagel
A7RII + 21mm Loxia

The Ute

Hi Annna, just my take amongst a myriad probably of many others I expect...but for my own personal taste I much prefer the simplicity of the first image ;)
I find the other external elements dotted around the wall just too distracting and not really adding anything to strengthen the o/a image any further, I’m sorry to say but others may disagree with me :(
What they do do in a good way is make the viewer question the reason of why you should bother to include them in the first place, which in turn obviously helps stimulate a discussion that holds your attention longer :)
The main point and strength of the image for me lies in the juxtaposition of the 2 main elements and that is the real poppies outdoors at the base of the image together with the synthetic candlestick holder indoors behind the window :)
Personally I think I would have been tempted to crop perhaps even tighter still the first image, to just include the 5 blind slats above the top of the lamps leaving out the distracting reflection in the window. I think I would have also toned down the gravel base very slightly to add a stronger foundation to the image that more closely replicated the base of the window frame...just my 2 pence worth as you wanted feedback ;) ...Cheers Barry

A7RII + 21mm Loxia

I love my Batis 25 but I am really impressed w the Loxia 21.
Wish I could afford both.

Barry Haines

I love my Batis 25 but I am really impressed w the Loxia 21.
Wish I could afford both.
Thanks Ute it's an excellent lens for sure :)
I have been equally impressed with the IQ that you are getting out of your Batis 25mm :thumbup:
2 great lenses which are fairly close to one another in FL's has made this a hard decision for many to choose between them, hard in someways to justify owning both of them or certainly having both of them in the bag at the same time.
The 18mm Batis looks to be an excellent lens and probably a better companion lens for your 25mm if you need to go wider but I'm sure you have figured that out for yourself :grin:...anyway thanks...Cheers Barry

The Ute

Thanks Ute it's an excellent lens for sure :)
I have been equally impressed with the IQ that you are getting out of your Batis 25mm :thumbup:
2 great lenses which are fairly close to one another in FL's has made this a hard decision for many to choose between them, hard in someways to justify owning both of them or certainly having both of them in the bag at the same time.
The 18mm Batis looks to be an excellent lens and probably a better companion lens for your 25mm if you need to go wider but I'm sure you have figured that out for yourself :grin:...anyway thanks...Cheers Barry
Thanks but I think the Loxia is just a tad sharper.
And fortunately for my bank account the Batis 18 is wider than I need.
So many great choices now, the 55, Macro, the GM's, the Oti, etc. etc.
It's dizzying.
If I just had the wallet to match. :(

D

Deleted member 7792

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate your comment, because I have doubts about the framing. This version is a cropped one. There is another version, of which I like the top, but the flowers at the bottom are a little unbalanced.. I'd be curious to know what you and others think of it. May be that I should have kept this tension between the top and bottom...
Or I could also crop the flowers and keep only the top square.. So many possibilities and I'm never sure of my choices.
The main point and strength of the image for me lies in the juxtaposition of the 2 main elements and that is the real poppies outdoors at the base of the image together with the synthetic candlestick holder indoors behind the window :) ...Cheers Barry
Annna, Barry hit the proverbial nail on the head, and articulated the idea better than I ever could. However you slice it (no pun intended), it's a stellar photograph.

Joe

Quentin_Bargate

Fruit and Veg sales, Catania

With the venerable Sony Ziess 24-70mm F/4 at F/8

Agree on the surfeit of lenses available, just got to remember to get out there and shoot with what you have!

Michiel Schierbeek

Rue de l'industrie, Sion - 20140412_094s
by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr
This is the one for me Annna, although I understand the cropping to concentrate on the aesthetics of the colour rhyme of the poppys with the orange candle, I think the image loses the slightly uncomfartable edge
with the abstract composition of the three shapes on the wall, which reminds me of Bart van der Leck, a painter fom De Stijl group.
For me this does really add something extra, the only thing I would do is crop a few milimeters from the top and stamp away the two black dots on the side, so you can't see it is a window-sill anymore, so it becomes more of an abstract beam working together with
the other two shapess.

BTW Really like the strong composition from the Rue Chambes-des-desTabac.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

A7RII + 21mm Loxia

Hi Barry, lovely shot.

I don't want to spoil the party but do I see a slight margenta cast in the upper left and right corners. Reminds me a bit of my VC 21.

Annna T

Annna, Barry hit the proverbial nail on the head, and articulated the idea better than I ever could. However you slice it (no pun intended), it's a stellar photograph.

Joe
Joe I'm blushing now, as red as the poppies of the picture.

Joe, Carl, Kawinkler and Barry Thank you again, for all the kind words and suggestions and thank you to all those who added likes and took the time to look at it.
Thinking to it again, I think there were two different pictures to take there and in the second version I tried to put the two together which is never a good idea. The first version is about the candlestick holder and the flowers. But still I was attracted by those three rectangular external elements in relation to the window. But it should be kept for another picture with a square format like this : https://flic.kr/p/Fsv5qv .

A special thank to Barry for his detailed comment and his suggestion with respect to the gravel base, I’m studying it right now (have to check that the fallen petals remain perceptible).

Barry Haines

Hi Barry, lovely shot.

I don't want to spoil the party but do I see a slight margenta cast in the upper left and right corners. Reminds me a bit of my VC 21.
Many thanks S̶p̶o̶i̶l̶s̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ Michiel :mad:
My non-colour blind wife wasn't around at the time to keep me in check :eek: :LOL:

Annna T

This the one for me Annna, although I understand the cropping to concentrate on the aesthetics of the colour rhyme of the poppys with the orange candle, I think the image loses the slightly uncomfartable edge
with the abstract composition of the three shapes on the wall, which reminds me of Bart van der Leck, a painter fom De Stijl group.
For me this does really add something extra, the only thing I would do is crop a few milimeters from the top and stamp away the two black dots on the side, so you can't see it is a window-sill anymore, so it becomes more of an abstract beam working together with
the other two shapes.s

BTW Really like the strong composition from the Rue Chambes-des-desTabac.

Michiel,

Many thanks for your informed comment and suggestion, which was crossposted with my other thanking mail. I'm glad you like the external shapes, because they were attracting me too. They made me think of some graphic design that were trendy some/several years ago (rather minimalist, but with a few shapes or streaks of very bright colors added like here for instance : https://www.behance.net/gallery/28476331/Hemingway-and-the-Sea).

Last edited:

Annna T

More in the series "unremarkable neighborhoods"
Rue des Champs-de-tabac with the Haut-de-Cry in the background. This is the typical colors of Switzerland : green and grey; the grey of the concrete and the grey of the mountains. Sometimes I yearn for warmer tones.. the kind you see in US national parks or in the South of France.

A7r and FE 24-70mm F4 @ 70mm F8 1/320 ISO250

Rue des Champs-de-tabac, Sion - 20140412_161s by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

dwood

I recently rented the new Sony FE 24-70/f2.8 GM zoom to see what it had to offer. I've mostly been playing with this at 24, 35 and 50/55 and for the most part, between f5.6 and f11 (a few shots wide open). I have to return it tomorrow and I had a jam packed day so I only had a bit of time this morning to take a few more shots. What I was most interested in this morning was how it rendered. I'm personally more interested in how pictures look/feel than if they score well in the lab or how they make out with brick walls (not that there's anything wrong with that). :grin:

I didn't have much time to spend on composition this morning but I was able to get some elements in the frame that were of interest to me. One was shot at 35mm and the other at 55mm. Both are at f8, 100 ISO and the a7rII was mounted on my tripod.

I think this lens is excellent. It's certainly nice and sharp but more important for me, I really like the look. When I got home and started to play with the files, I kept thinking that these were not the results of your typical zoom lens. All in all, a really nice experience with this new zoom from Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.