The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Re: Fun With Sony _____

These are absolutely wonderful images!
From May 8 - 14 I participated in a photo workshop in Tuscany led by Hans Kruse (See details here).

It was a very worthwhile experience. We had a great group of 11 photographers and Hans is an excellent workshop leader. He's a fine instructor on the technical side of things and regarding what and how to shoot he doesn't tell you what to do but he brings ideas and suggestions you have to put in practice yourself. On the one hand that's harder, but also more rewarding and avoids too much copy-cat behavior. Also what you learn that way is probably maintained and sustained a lot longer.

I was the only Sony shooter in the group, the rest were all Canon and Nikon, but choice of equipment was never an issue and only marginally discussed. It was all about capturing the light and the beautiful landscapes.

Here's some pictures to give you an impression, hope you like them (as much as I do ;))

1: Sunset

A850 + Min 24-105 D

2: Misty sunrise

A850 + Min 80-200/2.8 HS G

3: Light rays over the hills

A6000 + E16-50 PZ

4: Evening light hitting the rolling hills

A850 + Min 80-200/2.8 HS G

5: Morning light on Villa Belvedere and the valley behind

A6000 + E16-50 PZ

6: Sunset near San Quirico d'Orcia

A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2

7: Morning light kissing the rolling hills

A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2

C&C more then welcome

pegelli

These are absolutely wonderful images!
Thanks Cindy, going on a workshop in a beautiful landscape together with 10 other great photographers and a wonderful workshop leader is very inspiring. I think I owe these pictures in a large part to that, on my own I would not have returned with anything even half as good.

V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

A lot of people who can't or won't buy the latest are making very nice images with NEX and A-mount gear.

I agree that we should put more emphasis on the photo than the gear, but talking about new gear is fun and a lot of people enjoy that.

There is a place here for everyone who is civil and interested in photography, no matter what your interest.

I like the idea of posting all of my Sony posts going forward to the "Fun with Sony" thread.
I wrote that in jest. I still have A mount and NEX E mount cams and use them.

I for one do not like one image thread.

What is preventing anyone from posting pics in the generic threads elsewhere? Why is the Canon, etc fora nearly dead?

For now I'm going to keep shooting with my junk, crazy but affordable :wtf:
:LOL:

V

Vivek

" Steamage II "

The front to the left is at MFD 30cm away, the very left even closer..
A fantastic and challenging lens....​

Only available for two mounts! :)

pegelli

The front to the left is at MFD 30cm away, the very left even closer..
A fantastic and challenging lens....
No kidding Werner, it looks indeed very challenging.
It's probably geometrically correct since you're so close, but the optical illusion I see is that the front wheel of this locomotive is taking a sharp right turn :loco:

W.Utsch

Yah, the lok takes a sharp right turn.. :)

Dont really know where this comes from (the rod however is straight) ? Maybe an optical illusion or a distortion from the perspective ?
The lens however has only a little bit of (lens)distortion.

Barry Haines

Werner, nice one ^^^ (The 10mm being put to good use)...Superwides for close ups and 90mm macro lenses for landscapes :grin: :toocool: Sailing up the River Fal....A7RII + 90mm FE

pegelli

Maybe an optical illusion or a distortion from the perspective ?
Werner, I think it's perspective distortion. Since you're shooting at an angle but at very close distance with an ultra wide rectilinear lens you're looking at the front wheel "straight on", and since the other wheels are shown at an angle it seems like the front wheel is taking a right turn.

chiquita

Wonderful Pegelli...... I shall be going in September/October with the A7RII (I think!) Do you think a wide angle or a 90mm would get more use for this type of shooting. My Leica Elmarit 90mm weighs a ton.

- - - Updated - - -

Two..... A7RII 50mm Summilux

Two..... by christilou1, on Flickr

pegelli

Wonderful Pegelli...... I shall be going in September/October with the A7RII (I think!) Do you think a wide angle or a 90mm would get more use for this type of shooting. My Leica Elmarit 90mm weighs a ton.
You're going to have a ball, but be ready to get up early and have late dinners to catch the nice light striking the landscape at a small angle at the edges of the day. My original strategy was to use a 24-105 and 80-200 on my Full Frame A850 and for the occasional Wide Angle use the 10-18 on my APS-C A6000. What I found was that frequently switching lenses between the 24-105 and 80-200 under windy conditions was not a good idea and resulted in too many sand and dust bunnies on the sensor. So I changed the second day to a 16-50 on my A6000, left the 24-105 in the hotel and only changed to the 10-18 when I really had a Wide Angle opportunity. My collection of processed pictures is slowly growing in this SmugMug collection. All the focal length I used are in the exif and can be seen in the gallery (just click the i icon). You'll see that in the end I used much more long focal length to pick out nice areas in the landscape then wider views taking it all in, so if I were you I'd take the 90 mm before an extra wide angle. But your shooting style might be different so look at my pictures and determine yourself if you would shoot in a similar fashion or totally different.

And last but not least, show us what you got when you get back. I'm sure I'll be enjoying it a lot!

chiquita

You're going to have a ball, but be ready to get up early and have late dinners to catch the nice light striking the landscape at a small angle at the edges of the day. My original strategy was to use a 24-105 and 80-200 on my Full Frame A850 and for the occasional Wide Angle use the 10-18 on my APS-C A6000. What I found was that frequently switching lenses between the 24-105 and 80-200 under windy conditions was not a good idea and resulted in too many sand and dust bunnies on the sensor. So I changed the second day to a 16-50 on my A6000, left the 24-105 in the hotel and only changed to the 10-18 when I really had a Wide Angle opportunity. My collection of processed pictures is slowly growing in this SmugMug collection. All the focal length I used are in the exif and can be seen in the gallery (just click the i icon). You'll see that in the end I used much more long focal length to pick out nice areas in the landscape then wider views taking it all in, so if I were you I'd take the 90 mm before an extra wide angle. But your shooting style might be different so look at my pictures and determine yourself if you would shoot in a similar fashion or totally different.

And last but not least, show us what you got when you get back. I'm sure I'll be enjoying it a lot!
Thank you, I'll take a look at your SmugMug tomorrow and try and decide. Last time I took the 90mm to Lisbon I only used it once but at the same time we were in the city and not the great outdoors !

Annna T

Today I went to Martigny. This is another small town at the bottom of the Valley. It isn't a place where I'd like to live because it isn't very sunny. But it is an interesting place nevertheless. It was already inhabited in the prehistory and the Romans built a fortified place there, because it lies at the bottom of an important pass. The Romans named it Octodur. There are many traces of the presence of the Romans : the ruins of houses, of baths and an amphitheater. Like the prehistoric monoliths and the dolmen in Sion, the roman ruins are mixed in the daily environment and freely accessible. To-day wasn't necessarily the best day to visit, because they were preparing for a music festival.. I waited for the end of the afternoon in order to get better light, but then the sky was mostly cloudy and the light remained very flat.

A7rm2 and Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 (the new lens arrived this morning. So this was my first outing with that lens and I got many many unsharp pictures. I was fooled by the peaking and also I often moved the aperture ring accidentaly to F2.8. I will have to get accustomed.

The Roman amphitheater, Martigny - 20160610_123panoa7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

The Roman amphitheater, Martigny - 20160610_128a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

V

Vivek

Have you considered packing a folding ladder with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.