The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxbike

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

JAXPier1

Date Taken: 2016-08-07 19:45:20
Camera Model: ILCE-7
Lens: FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS

Barry Haines

JAXPier1

Date Taken: 2016-08-07 19:45:20
Camera Model: ILCE-7
Lens: FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Henry, a very nice under pier image :salute:

Taken last November when Alison and I travelled up to see our good friend Ron Pfister at Gloucester Docks. He was having Ezra (His Pilot Cutter) overhauled in the dry dock at the far end of this image...A7RII + 35mm Distagon FE @ f/1.4

Lucille

My 1st shot with the new Sony 70-200mm GM f/2.8

A7R II, 70-200mm@152mm f/2.8, ISO100, 1/160sec.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

My A850 broke :cry:, a motherboard failure as judged by the symptoms. Maybe a good excuse to finally plunge down on an A7 series, but still thinking about it :loco:

In the meantime I dusted off my A700 and took that with me on a short trip to the Belgian coast the past days. Even though it's 2007 technology it still works quite well and is a lot lighter and quieter then the A850. There's probably a lot better cameras out there now, but I found it a joy to use :toocool:

Here's a sunset from the balcony, more from this trip will follow later :D

A700 + Minolta 100/2.8 macro D

Barry Haines

Maybe a good excuse to finally plunge down on an A7 series, but still thinking about it :loco:
:shocked: :wtf: :clap: :facesmack:

Pieter, if you have a birthday coming up...why not treet yourself....I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it would be lovely having you shoot a A7? with the rest of us...Cheers Barry

Last edited:

seb

I'm a little bit envious about your pictures. :(
Framing of the scene and also positioning of people are perfectly implemented. That's why I have to ask: Do you crop often? Do you place/move people in post to your desired position or are those actors you rented? :ROTFL:
I'm sure, you're just a patient man, which take his time to shoot a single picture. But as I'm jealous and impatient, that's why I had to ask. :D

Again Barry, thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us. ;)

Barry Haines

I'm a little bit envious about your pictures. :(
Framing of the scene and also positioning of people are perfectly implemented. That's why I have to ask: Do you crop often? Do you place/move people in post to your desired position or are those actors you rented? :ROTFL:
I'm sure, you're just a patient man, which take his time to shoot a single picture. But as I'm jealous and impatient, that's why I had to ask. :D

Again Barry, thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us. ;)
Thanks Seb for your kind words and interest...I'm definitely not as patient as I used to be :( :LOL:
and yes I rent at least a dozen actors everyday just to entertain you guys ;) :ROTFL:

Here comes the boring history bit...For a couple of decades I used to shoot 14x11 10x8 & 5x4 film (LF cameras together with MF 6x9 6x7 and 6x6 cameras) and having spent most of those years lugging around a heavy 5 legged alloy Gitzo tripod and then waiting for the light conditions to change outdoors (or not!...and then return back to the scene the next day) or pratting around and adjusting/tweaking studio lights for sets and then only just taking a few polaroids and a couple of sheets of film at a time....I desperately wanted to get back to the freedom of a smaller format and be able to just walkabout unhindered without the need of carrying around a tripod everywhere I go (although I do keep a CF tripod permantly in the boot of the car for should the the occasion arise). I think I have only used a tripod on just 4 pics that I have uploaded here and then only because of using a 10 stop ND filter to slow everything down.
On the day I went to Marazion (St Michaels Mount) I took 1,262 images (I always shoot Raw and a Jpeg...jpegs for quick evaluation) and try to cover an event by shooting from as many different angles as possible.
I do sometimes crop (as little as possible) and I do remove (clone out) anything that I think may be destracting fom an image (the odd seagull here or there etc...) but I don't (anylonger) move things around as it's to time consuming to do the job properly.
Regards the people on the raft I shot 87 Raw images and 87 jpegs in various positions.
Here is a dropbox link to those 87 SOOC jpegs and the one Raw image that I used in this particular instance....I will leave them up (48 hours) for you or anybody else that wants to download them and have a play about.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6kpk7pujgzkde9/AAC9kI7PCRFz1wuu5MgAZeT_a?dl=0
Hope that helps and gives you some insight to what I do :) and also explains why I do upload several images of the same subject matter as I have so many to choose from ;)
No need to be jealous, just keep firing away as you have more chances of getting it right :D
Cheers Barry

seb

I knew it! You are working with profesional background actors and a whole crew trampling through your beautiful neighbourhood! :p
(Would be fun, to do that once with a whole crew (with props, lightning, actors...)!) :D

Your truth may be more boring, but it makes your results even more imressive to me. I try shooting the same way (as less crops as possible, without tripod, different angles, clone out, not moving things), with a little difference: my goal is to shoot only one picture of each frame. Even when I shoot action. It ends up in less pictures (obviously), but also in less keepers. On the other hand, it helps me to concentrate on framing. I'm still so used to my analog camera, I think. In the old days, your day at Marazion would ended up in 35 film rolls. :)

Thanks for your words and the link. Very helpful. :)
Cheers, Sebastian

Thanks Seb for your kind words and interest...I'm definitely not as patient as I used to be :( :LOL:
and yes I rent at least a dozen actors everyday just to entertain you guys ;) :ROTFL:

Here comes the boring history bit...For a couple of decades I used to shoot 14x11 10x8 & 5x4 film (LF cameras together with MF 6x9 6x7 and 6x6 cameras) and having spent most of those years lugging around a heavy 5 legged alloy Gitzo tripod and then waiting for the light conditions to change outdoors (or not!...and then return back to the scene the next day) or pratting around and adjusting/tweaking studio lights for sets and then only just taking a few polaroids and a couple of sheets of film at a time....I desperately wanted to get back to the freedom of a smaller format and be able to just walkabout unhindered without the need of carrying around a tripod everywhere I go (although I do keep a CF tripod permantly in the boot of the car for should the the occasion arise). I think I have only used a tripod on just 4 pics that I have uploaded here and then only because of using a 10 stop ND filter to slow everything down.
On the day I went to Marazion (St Michaels Mount) I took 1,262 images (I always shoot Raw and a Jpeg...jpegs for quick evaluation) and try to cover an event by shooting from as many different angles as possible.
I do sometimes crop (as little as possible) and I do remove (clone out) anything that I think may be destracting fom an image (the odd seagull here or there etc...) but I don't (anylonger) move things around as it's to time consuming to do the job properly.
Regards the people on the raft I shot 87 Raw images and 87 jpegs in various positions.
Here is a dropbox link to those 87 SOOC jpegs and the one Raw image that I used in this particular instance....I will leave them up (48 hours) for you or anybody else that wants to download them and have a play about.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y6kpk7pujgzkde9/AAC9kI7PCRFz1wuu5MgAZeT_a?dl=0
Hope that helps and gives you some insight to what I do :) and also explains why I do upload several images of the same subject matter as I have so many to choose from ;)
No need to be jealous, just keep firing away as you have more chances of getting it right :D
Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

I knew it! You are working with profesional background actors and a whole crew trampling through your beautiful neighbourhood! :p
(Would be fun, to do that once with a whole crew (with props, lighning, actors...)!) :D

Your truth may be more boring, but it makes your results even more imressive to me. I try shooting the same way (as less crops as possible, without tripod, different angles, clone out, not moving things), with a little difference: my goal is to shoot only one picture of each frame. Even when I shoot action. It ends up in less pictures (obviously), but also in less keepers. On the other hand, it helps me to concentrate on framing. I'm still so used to my analog camera, I think. In the old days, your day at Marazion would ended up in 35 film rolls. :)

Thanks for your words and the link. Very helpful. :)
Cheers, Sebastian
Thanks again Seb, you are very kind...Slowing up using LF on a tripod (or any camera for that matter) will teach you to frame better and to consider your subject matter better IMO....Only portraiture and sporting photography do you need to work faster and be a bit more responsive.
Many years ago I had a close friend (Bill Miles) now sadly departed who taught me well in how to "SEE" and rethink my photography...It helped me enormously and I will be forever in his debt...However I still keep on taking a lot of crap images though :D

BTW...When I was shooting 35mm film I would seriously still get through a dozen or two dozen rolls of film on a days outing...my film drying cabinet was switched on permanently :(

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member

Great finds :thumbup: :ROTFL:

Best one I ever saw (but unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me) was "Unattended children will be given espresso and a puppy" :rolleyes:
Yes, that's a good 'un too!

One more in an allotment at The Bishops Palace, Wells Cathedral.

pegelli

:shocked: :wtf: :clap: :facesmack:

Pieter, if you have a birthday coming up...why not treet yourself....I'm sure I'm not alone when I say it would be lovely having you shoot a A7? with the rest of us...Cheers Barry
Well, my birthday is about 1 month away and to be fair, the thought crossed my mind :angel:

pegelli

:thumbs: :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs:
Enough wishful thinking for today :lecture:

Two more from last weekend with my ancient A700 :bugeyes:

Kites galore

A700 + Min 100/2.8 macro D

Brewing storm (that soaked us 15 minutes later)

A700 + Min 24/2.8 RS

k-hawinkler

Enough wishful thinking for today :lecture:

Two more from last weekend with my ancient A700 :bugeyes:

Kites galore

A700 + Min 100/2.8 macro D

Brewing storm (that soaked us 15 minutes later)

A700 + Min 24/2.8 RS

I think you are doing great with your gear!

Annna T

From the series Hydro-electric power plants. I drove up to the highest dam we have here the Grande Dixence. It is 367m high and the highest gravity dam (or weight dam.. well not sure what it is named in English we say "barrage poids" in the world. For a long time, it was simply the highest dam in the world, but lately the Chinese have built higher ones (using another technology, not that of the gravity dam). But it is still the 5th highest dam in the world. Things were as I expected : it doesn't look that impressive and it is difficult to photograph. I do still have a lot of pictures to sort out. but here are a few :

The dam from below (there are thirteen flags in the middle of the dam at the top which will hopefully give an idea of the scale :

The dam, Grande Dixence - 20160808_023a7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

The lake behind the dam (it is named le Lac des Dix - the lake of the Ten); it is very long and you are only seeing half of it or less.

Lac des Dix, Grande Dixence - 20160808_140-Pano-Modifieda7r2i by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Note the water fall on the left shore; here is a nearer view :

The artificial lake is filled by the water melting from the winter snow or from the glaciers, or by rains. But it is also collecting water from other lateral valleys pumped through a complex network of underground galleries : the waterfall seen in the picture is an artificial one created by the pumped water.
Last but not least : during the night when electricity is cheap, the water which came down during the day through the penstocks is pumped back up in order to refill the lake and to produce electricity that can be sold at peak times when it is more expensive. This is a heavy infrastructure.. and since the introduction of subsidized renewable electricity coming from the sun or the wind it is no more so profitable.. These huge infrastructures are now more than 50 years old and in need of renovations and costly investment.. but the time is not favorable at all : electricity prices have got down and are now under the cost of production.. So it is a very critical moment, quasi a crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.