The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

takomaru

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Barry Hines, Congrats on the 12mm, love expanses and spatialty, I want to try the Laowa also, much faster for astros, and samples look real good also. Been shooting Thai temples with this one, tripods are allowed and with Francis NEAT got rid of the people. Regards, Takomaru

Barry Haines

Barry Hines, Congrats on the 12mm, love expanses and spatialty, I want to try the Laowa also, much faster for astros, and samples look real good also. Been shooting Thai temples with this one, tripods are allowed and with Francis NEAT got rid of the people. Regards, Takomaru
Thank you Takomaru
The Laowa 12mm Prototype samples that I have seen so far do look highly impressive...I do confess that I had a very hard time choosing between the new Voigtlander 12mm III ultra wide Heliar and the Laowa 12mm.
The faster speed for astrophotography combined with the zero distortion + The optional filter holder + The optional magic shift converter (17mm / F/4.0) are all very compelling reasons for many to choose the Laowa 12mm over the Voigtlander 12mm...But the main reason I went with the Voigtlander was the much lower weight and smaller size, I'm not much into atrophotography anyway and I don't use filters much other than for lens protection, if I wanted a shift lens I would probably buy a dedicated lens (ie. Canon 17mm TS-E) rather than use a converter on a super-wide.
The size and weight difference between these two lenses would mean that I wouldn't think twice about taking the Voigtlander out with me (whereas I might the other way around), together with my other 4 favourite lenses (21mm Loxia,35mm Sony FE Distagon, 55mm Sony Sonnar and Sony 90mm G macro)...As it stands all 5 lenses fit very nicely/snugly in my existing camera bag...I have now spent 48hrs with the Voigtlander 12mm lens and shot just over a thousand images.
My opinion is that the Voigtlander 12mm E mount lens (my version at least) is an excellent lens which is great fun to use...I have no regrets with my final decision :)
I'm pleased that I have stuck to my original game plan that I said way back last year in November... http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-139.html#post668951

I would just like to thank Mike E for all the info and samples that he has provided here and over at FM relating to the 12mm Voigtlander...very helpful to me and I expect others who are considering buying the 12mm Voigtlander.

Image size comparison Dierk Topp with the very slightly larger 10mm http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/image-05.jpg

+ A few others (hoods up and reversed).

Cheers Barry Haines

Last edited:

takomaru

Barry, thanks for your disclosure...I went for the Voigtlanders after seeing Mike Evangelista samples and comparison, for which I am extremely grateful, also because availability in M mount and I like to use them with the Zhongy Booster II for M mount, with my older Nex7 which I don't intend to retire and can take heavy storms, unlike mu A7R. I am also extremely grateful to Werner Utsch, as his work with the 10mm mainly in FM forums speaks by itself.

Some terrific photographers in this forum, and your work helps people like myself on choosing and deciding on our glass.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

... She looked at me and said: "You still have to make do with an old A850 and an ancient Minolta 85/1.4 G? Poor guy, I'll give you my best smile" ;)

Answer: Oh, you DO remember the A850? Who would have thought you're THAT old already.

Barry Haines

Barry, thanks for your disclosure...I went for the Voigtlanders after seeing Mike Evangelista samples and comparison, for which I am extremely grateful, also because availability in M mount and I like to use them with the Zhongy Booster II for M mount, with my older Nex7 which I don't intend to retire and can take heavy storms, unlike mu A7R. I am also extremely grateful to Werner Utsch, as his work with the 10mm mainly in FM forums speaks by itself.

Some terrific photographers in this forum, and your work helps people like myself on choosing and deciding on our glass.
Thank you again Takomaru...I don't think you can go far wrong with any of those 3 Voigtlander SWA lenses (10/12/15mm) as long as you can get hold of a good copy in each FL...The M mount is also a great choice if you wish to use a booster or TAP as you say.
Agreed both Werner and Karl (amongst others) both put their 10mm and 15mm Voigtlander lenses to great use either here or over at FM.
It's amazing just how many photographers here also post over at FM ;)

A few more 12mm images from yesterday at Porthleven...Cheers Barry

takomaru

Barry, the 10 & 12 where easy, but not the 15, all copies where lousy. We don't get too many Voigtlander lenses or VM mounts to test in Bangkok as the market is very small. After you started posting your shots with the Loxia 21; it took me months to get one.... that was very frustrating. That Laowa 12 I'm reserving for the new A99II as the UW in A mount, coming soon!

Both Get Dpi & FM do have great photographers cross posting so it's nice to light up the screen.

Kind regards, Takomaru

SamSS

I've been playing with the Sigma 24mm Art via MC-11 adaptor for the past 2 months.

ƒ/2.8

f5.6

f1.4

ƒ/4

f1.4

f1.4

f1.4 Vegan Pizza

f1.4 This one with a7m2

seb

Barry it seems to me, that I should buy this lens for my New Zealand trip in two months. :)

Some of the strange residential area in Kreis 5 (Zurich). I was there to scout a location for an upcoming shooting. The flats are really really expensive. The sourounding is strange. They build a park-like landscape, but you'll never see any people there.

Zürich - Kreis 5
(A7RII+Loxia21/2.8)

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Thank you Thorkil and takomaru for your kind words :)
I have now had 4 number 15mm Voigtlanders in total since the first version...none of which could do a half decent extreme corner...when the 15mm E mount turned up it went straight back to the shop after a couple of tests :(

Barry it seems to me, that I should buy this lens for my New Zealand trip in two months. :)
Seb, I hate to say it but YES :D :LOL: it's light,small and great fun
Hopefully it will fit in your camera/travel bag for NZ + An excellent accompaniment to your 21mm Loxia for landscapes and architecture :thumbs:
I have tried the centre APS-C 17.8mp crops (18.46mm FL equivalent) and they are good enough for posting images here with a bit of IQ
Just don't expect it to be quite as good as your 21mm Loxia then you won't be dissapointed :D

A hotchpotch of images taken around Porthleven throughout the day with the 12mm Voigtlander

seb

I'm thinking of : CV12 (which I don't have atm), loxia21, zony55. Nothing more.
It would be cool to have the 90 Macro or the 85GM with me too, but I hardly use it, when I'm away from civilisation. And then there is also the Sony28/2 as something in between, which may be useful too. :)

I like this one the most:

Seb, I hate to say it but YES :D :LOL: it's light,small and great fun
Hopefully it will fit in your camera/travel bag for NZ + An excellent accompaniment to your 21mm Loxia for landscapes and architecture :thumbs:
I have tried the centre APS-C 17.8mp crops (18.46mm FL equivalent) and they are good enough for posting images here with a bit of IQ
Just don't expect it to be quite as good as your 21mm Loxia then you won't be dissapointed :D

Barry Haines

I'm thinking of : CV12 (which I don't have atm), loxia21, zony55. Nothing more.
It would be cool to have the 90 Macro or the 85GM with me too, but I hardly use it, when I'm away from civilisation. And then there is also the Sony28/2 as something in between, which may be useful too. :)

I like this one the most:
Thanks Seb, PM sent ^^^

I will make this the last of the 12mm images at Portleven for now...Breaking wave at the end of the Portleven jetty.
I was trying to get just one decent SWA image of a wave and it's spray against the sunlight, as it hit the end of the jetty...Rather than use a telephoto lens.
Totaly misjudged where to stand back safely without getting wet, needles to say I got totally drenched as you can see in the last shot.

takomaru

Barry, terrific sequence against the sun, the spray, the drops, the light... look stunning on a big screen, thanks for sharing.
Regards, Takomaru

V

Vivek

I will make this the last of the 12mm images at Portleven for now...Breaking wave at the end of the Portleven jetty.

Totaly misjudged where to stand back safely without getting wet, needles to say I got totally drenched as you can see in the last
We are not made of sugar. A bit of water (and salt) does no harm.

Awesome!:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.