The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 toughs it out in Niagara

Quentin_Bargate

Just come back from a visit to Toronto and Niagara where the A900 withstood the ultimate weatherproof test; unprotected (with ziess 24-70mm attached) on Maid of the Mist under Niagara falls. A similar effect could be achieved by taking your camera in the shower with you. A900 never faltered (even though the pics taken in such outrageous conditions were dubious!)

Here is one. More pics from the trip will follow in due course.

I also spent a very pleasant morning and lunch with the talented Michael Reichmann of Luminous landscape fame and a friend of his from Vistek, as to which also more later.

Quentin

P

panyawong

Quentin;
You are very brave. :) I visited Niagara Falls countless time during my graduate school years in upstate New York. Never once that I took my camera (back then was a film Nikon) under the Falls shower. :p

Hope your pictures with all the mist turns out well.
Anyway, winter is another beautiful season at Niagara Falls if you would have more chance to visit in the future.

Panya

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jono, Panya

Jono, you look fit and tanned, what have you been up to?

Panya, I'd love to visit in Winter, but its a long trip! Not sure the pics from Niagara are that great but I'll be reviewing and processing stuff over the next few days and will see what is what. Impressed by the A900 and its weather sealing.

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

u got to hang with MR? that's cool. how was that?

u could mention that there's a typo in one of his latest articles

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a550-first.shtml

he claims there is a "Sony 70-400mm f/2.8 G lens". I think he meant "Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G lens". :thumbup:
Hi Jim,

I have known Michael slightly for some years. I once wrote an article for his site on the now long forgotten Epson 2000P printer, their first pigment ink archival printer. I participate in his forum.

If you get the chance, do visit his studio. His prints are of stunning quality, far more so than is apparent from the web, and he is also a genuinely decent guy. He was good enough to buy me and his friend fronm Vistek lunch while we chewed over issues such as the future of digital. He is of course is an avid user of the Sony A900, which he said had never let him down.

cheers

Quentin

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Quentin,

I loved it! Canada is a place I could imagine to retire, would love to go north and see BC for a longer time.

Was it Brian from Vistek? I bought some stuff from him last year, and as it turned out, he has some property, which he never saw, close to where I live in Ireland. :)

Hi Bill,

I was tempted to call him Speedy Gonzales. :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
True Bill, and it was most interesting to observe. I never shot with anyone else together before in my life, and I sure did not expect that. It was fascinating to see the world through his eyes for a while. To me photography is a solitude act mostly, having said that, it can be great fun to share the experience for some time.

@Quentin, were you not worried about your lenses in such humid conditions?

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Well, George, not so much humid as very wet :ROTFL:

I guess it was a risk but then the A900 has impressed me with its toughness and it all seemed absolutely fine.

Not sure I can recall the chap from Vistek name but he is a friend of Michael's and a really nice guy. I was impressed by Vistek itself - very professional and knowlegeable. Compare that to some of the bigger UK camera stores where it seems some of the sales people barely know what a camera is sometimes...

To prove camera survival, here are a couple of shots I took that evening using the new compact tripod I also purchased from Vistek.

Quentin

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Impressive, I never saw it at Night, was only there for the short helicopter flight and boat trip. - The body would not concern me that much as it is supposed to be pretty well sealed, but the lenses are not. -